CASA Regulations
4975 28 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Attached is a sigle sheet PDF "Flying with Control" which I have copied from the CASA site and edited into a handy reference sheet.

This was made after I had an aggressive person ordering me about as, in his opinion, I was not allowed to fly. Under the previous rules he may well have been correct but not now.

Rather than enter a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed I have decided to carry some copies of this in my backpack.

Feel free to download, print and use it in the same way if it helps.

EDIT - Try a right click on the link to save the PDF. It should then download.

Flying with control.pdf

216.06 KB, Down times: 98

2017-2-15
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks. Another worthy of note is that a licence is not required if the craft is less than 2 Kg in weight (the Phantom is, umm, 1.3?) and not flying for a commercial purpose.
2017-2-15
Use props
Rex65
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-15 20:52
Thanks. Another worthy of note is that a licence is not required if the craft is less than 2 Kg in weight (the Phantom is, umm, 1.3?) and not flying for a commercial purpose.

Hi,
I can't see the pdf for some reason but from the last post.... My understanding after reading the CASA website a few weeks ago is that you only need a licence if you fly commercially and the drone weighs over 2kg. If you fly as a hobby then things kick in at 25kg from memory. My RC helicopter weighs more than 2kg and I don't need a licence or register with CASA etc., same with the I2.
Is this correct?
Rex
2017-2-16
Use props
Rex65
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-15 20:52

Hi,
I can't see the pdf for some reason but from the last post.... My understanding after reading the CASA website a few weeks ago is that you only need a licence if you fly commercially and the drone weighs over 2kg. If you fly as a hobby then things kick in at 25kg from memory. My RC helicopter weighs more than 2kg and I don't need a licence or register with CASA etc., same with the I2.
Is this correct?
Rex
2017-2-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Rex65 Posted at 2017-2-16 01:36
Hi,
Is this correct?

Hi Rex,

I think you are correct.

What i know is that I can fly the Phantom commercially as it's under 2kg and I have an Air Crew Licence.

The PDF is attached and you need to download it and then open in a viewer.

2017-2-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Rex65 Posted at 2017-2-16 01:34
Hi,
Is this correct?

OK. Happy to be corrected in that. Cheers.

'Amendments to Part 101 commenced on 29 September 2016. CASA introduced reduced entry requirements for people wanting to fly a very small (100g < 2kg) remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) commercially.
  • Effective 29 September 2016, the new category of excluded RPA came into effect, with reduced regulatory requirements to fly very small RPAs commercially. Operations under 2kg (excluded) will not need an RPA operator's certificate (ReOC), or a remote pilot licence (RePL).

Those operating in the excluded RPA category will have to notify CASA at least five business days before their first commercial flight and agree to operate by the standard operating conditions and the guidance in advisory circular (AC) 101-10.'

Otherwise, Cab, what's an Air Crew Licence?

2017-2-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-16 13:49
OK. Happy to be corrected in that. Cheers.

'Amendments to Part 101 commenced on 29 September 2016. CASA introduced reduced entry requirements for people wanting to fly a very small (100g < 2kg) remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) commercially.

I have a Private Pilot Licence. I use that same Licence Number for any drone work.
2017-2-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-16 15:16
I have a Private Pilot Licence. I use that same Licence Number for any drone work.

Interesting Cab - a pilot And a drone flyer.

An old friend of mine used to be a commercial pilot and now works providing advice to a major airline. I caught up with him last week over dinner, as he was in Canberra to meet with one of the Ministers. I mentioned I now had a pair of Phantoms, and he looked at me like I was Donald Trump saying I was going to build a wall between Eastern Australia and WA (where he lives) And make them pay for it...

I got the impression that being a pilot may create a mental conflict if you want anything to do with drones too... hehe
2017-2-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-16 15:37
Interesting Cab - a pilot And a drone flyer.

An old friend of mine used to be a commercial pilot and now works providing advice to a major airline. I caught up with him last week over dinner, as he was in Canberra to meet with one of the Ministers. I mentioned I now had a pair of Phantoms, and he looked at me like I was Donald Trump saying I was going to build a wall between Eastern Australia and WA (where he lives) And make them pay for it...

Have not been flying for some time now.

Did mention the idea of parachuting when I was learning to fly. The reaction would have been less if I had tried to sell tickets for a tray of pork chops in a synagogue. Then that does not worry me to much, I also refer to people from Canada as Americans (they don't like it but they are North Americans)

I can imagine some pilots not liking drones. If we operate them safely there is no issue but there will be those who don't.

I am primarily a Photographer.

2017-2-16
Use props
Rex65
lvl.1
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-16 12:54
Hi Rex,

I think you are correct.

Hi Cabansail,
I couldn't open the pdf due to a permissions thing... Once I logged out and logged back in I can now view it. It seems every forum has different software, I couldn't work out how to delete the double post!
I have read a few articles in the press that have gotten the rule about over 2kg wrong so thought I'd chime in.
Now for the storms to bugger off so we can get some flying time in NSW!
Cheers,
Rex
2017-2-18
Use props
Mecanix
New
Australia

Rex65 Posted at 2017-2-18 02:59
Hi Cabansail,
I couldn't open the pdf due to a permissions thing... Once I logged out and logged back in I can now view it. It seems every forum has different software, I couldn't work out how to delete the double post!
I have read a few articles in the press that have gotten the rule about over 2kg wrong so thought I'd chime in.

Hi all,

just joined and scouting about trying to learn ..

having the same issues not seeing the pdf file...
love to have a few copies in my pack  too ...  just in case
cant figure how to download it...seems there is some complex software here..oh well.
I'll copy and print the CASA stuff instead ...might be handy when confronted by the odd grumpster

my mavic pro is due to arrive very soon,
and I'm looking forward to having some fun with that..

cheers all

mike
newport beach sydney
2017-2-19
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

It is weird. Will not allow me to view or download it now.  Worked before. Some funny forum setting I think.
2017-2-19
Use props
SWCC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 124186 ft
Australia

The P4PRO is an 'excluded' aircraft under the less than 2kg weight class but I have just completed a RePL to ensure I'm informed enough to mitigate risk. The CASA link is a great place to stay up to date... https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft ... ng-drones-australia
2017-2-25
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69 ft
Australia

I  applied to CASA for a <2kg Aviation Reference Number (through my company name in this case). Once I had that I just notified CASA through the RPAS notification form where you have to nominate a region you are flying in. I imagine you could nominate any area but would have to provide another RPAS for that area. There were no dramas, specifics on exact areas or dates to provide. Essentially two forms and two emails. They then sent me my 'license' for the area nominated. I am obliged to keep that on my phone or as a hard copy ready to flash when required. And of course I am restricted to line of sight etc. and keeping logs of flights.PS This is for commercial activities. Worth having in case you decide to sell somthing or get paid for flights.
2017-3-30
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

PDF works for me as a download
2017-3-30
Use props
rblades
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65531 ft
United States

it would be nice if there was a service like Jeppson that you could get the reg's from and up dates  for drones
2017-3-31
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

rblades Posted at 2017-3-31 04:21
it would be nice if there was a service like Jeppson that you could get the reg's from and up dates  for drones

Not sure if I misunderstand your situation but the CASA website has everything you need to know. I imagine a regular check will keep you up to date:
<2kg commercial: www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/co ... -aircraft-under-2kg
Recreational: www.casa.gov.au/modelaircraft
If you are really keen there's a CASA android app for flying safety in general: Flight Safety Australia
Found another android app on general flight safety: TrackDirect - NAIPS Briefing. Cabansail would know more about NAIPS but appears to be useful for local weather and perhaps flight restrictions?

2017-3-31
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

It's true that CASA website has all the information, and I think most of us would have read it, but what Cabansail has nicely done is summarised it so that the person on the street/oval/park can easily understand what is allowed and what is not. There are a lot of parts to the CASA website, with multiple branching links as you know.
2017-4-2
Use props
BTW
lvl.1
Australia

Euc Posted at 2017-3-30 16:49
I  applied to CASA for a

What is your experience towards clients enquiring about insurance?
2017-4-5
Use props
BTW
lvl.1
Australia

I've been enquiring with the wickedcopters.com.au in order to find out more about the RePL & ReOC and they have informed me the CASA drone rules regarding licensing will change at the end of June and the prices will not be the same.
Hopefully no drastic changes such as the ones happening in Canada...
2017-4-5
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

BTW Posted at 2017-4-5 23:29
What is your experience towards clients enquiring about insurance?

Apologies for the slow response. Gov agencies and larger businesses usually specify it. GOvt agencies have a minimum cover required. Smaller players do not usually ask. However, I do have Prof indemnity and Public liability that is noted in all my quotes. But drone photography is not my core business. I am more interested in the research side of things with drones so I will sometimes do freebies for the same client I do paid work for.
It's interesting though. Had a client get fined 60K since he did not follow my professional advice. They would have had twice that if not for high level support in court. Given I pay around $650 for both with the potential risks involved from my work, the insurance prices for drone work quoted here seem out of kilter (given you follow the legislation on flying).
2017-4-10
Use props
Daniel Son
lvl.1
Flight distance : 505512 ft
Australia

Broken link??
2017-5-7
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

Rex65 Posted at 2017-2-16 01:34
Hi,
Is this correct?

You don't need a license but you do need an FAA permit. It's no big deal to get and you must have it even if you are flying a small quadcopter, though I can't imagine anybody ever asking you for it!
Just throwing in my two cents.
2017-5-10
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

This is the *Australian* subforum, the FAA have no say here. CASA is the authority you have to follow.

Also, that said, I am in the UK but Australian. I applied for the commercial <2kg thing remotely, had everything back in a few days (electronically), filled in the regions I was likely to visit on my trip last December and voila!

I have to say that the CASA rules are the more sensible of any of the English speaking states I have looked at. The UK is stuck in an age of steam and old-men-in-shed with 150m distances from people and all that. Sad, but hey.
2017-5-18
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Does anyone know what licensing/permits are required to fly at night and / or out of line of sight? This is for research in remote areas.
2017-7-9
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

You would have to obtain an operators certificate and then put in an application for exemptions
2017-7-9
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109281 ft
Australia

Plenty of good info all. But Cabansail, you weren't seriously considering jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane were you?
2017-7-10
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-7-9 19:01
You would have to obtain an operators certificate and then put in an application for exemptions

Thanks for that. At the moment the talk is about using LWIR to detect things in trees. Will be interesting.
2017-7-10
Use props
Forgottenworld
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72057 ft
Australia

down load  can i fly there?
2017-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules