Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Negative/Minus Altitude Readouts over Water
1027 7 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew over a body of water today and noticed the Altitude readouts at the bottom of the screen dipped down into the minus/negative digits!

As a results, I could NOT effectively judge how far above the water I was flying!

Can someone/DJI explain this phenom?

2017-2-15
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

It all depends on your take off point.  So, if say for instance you are above the body of H2O 10 feet at take off, then fly "down" to the H2O, as you go "below" your take off point the readings will be in the negatives.  Yes, it is hard to effectively judge how far above the water you are but as of now, there really is no "solution" to this other then user judgement.
2017-2-15
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-2-15 21:04
It all depends on your take off point.  So, if say for instance you are above the body of H2O 10 feet at take off, then fly "down" to the H2O, as you go "below" your take off point the readings will be in the negatives.  Yes, it is hard to effectively judge how far above the water you are but as of now, there really is no "solution" to this other then user judgement.

I get it.  I'll have to launch at water side to get a more effective readout.  In any case, referring to the current altitude readouts seems rather pointless.  I would have thought that the craft would have the capability of tracking your altitude above the ground/water at which you are currently flying.  Or at least the ability to re-set it randomly when needed.  Any apps other than go app 4 that might do this?
2017-2-16
Use props
Egika
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379593 ft

Hong Kong

There are two read outs.
One is the altitude referenced to the starting point.

The other one is the ground clearance. You want to look for the latter.
2017-2-16
Use props
Egika
lvl.2

Hong Kong

See clearance in the lower left corner - since this is from the ultrasonic sensors on the bottom of the craft, it only works when closer to the ground (or water):
2017-2-16
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Egika Posted at 2017-2-16 01:06
See clearance in the lower left corner - since this is from the ultrasonic sensors on the bottom of the craft, it only works when closer to the ground (or water):
[view_image]

Thanks for your reply.  So you have to reference the RC panel.  Is the ground clearance displayed in the go app 4?
2017-2-16
Use props
fans43d5cdb6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16811 ft
Australia

The distance to the ground information is just available if the bottom facing sensors are active (VPS). From what I read, it's recommended to deactivate them over water, any opinion on that?

2017-2-16
Use props
Egika
lvl.2

Hong Kong

I successfully use it over water. Why should I deactivate the sonar?
Could you point me to where it recommends to deactivate them?
2017-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules