My First S1000
2186 7 2015-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mitch
New

Sweden

Hi there,

After plenty of research, a friend and I are about to purchase a S1000 premium, A2, lightbridge, and sg14 controller.

We want to purchase a freefly movi 5 gimbal so there is flexibilty to use a canon 5D mark iii with multiple lenses (the camera we already own), and potentially upgrade to a black magic cinema camera 4K, depending on future work. Plus the Movi 5 gives us flexibility for handheld shots.

Does anyone have experience with this setup? is this realistic with weight / flying ability / compatibility with lightbridge, A2 and gimbal?

Are there any better setups that you guys are running for commercial quality footage and photos

Is there any advice on further accesories that you guys are running that you couldn't (or wouldn't) fly without?

Thanks everyone

Mitch

2015-2-21
Use props
alexander.sucke
lvl.2

Germany

Have you had a look to the DJI Ronin Gimbal?
Works perfect with a lightbridge.
2015-3-11
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

You need to total up the weight of all the accessories you will add to the frame to make an assessment.
The BMCC body weighs 3.74 pounds without lens. Batteries, Gimbal, Lightbridge add weight
The gimbal weigh about 3 pounds. The gimbal will not support all lens option on the BMCC since there is a weight limitation.
There may be a few accessories as well such as second receiver, wiring that you may want to put a fudge fact in for.
The closer you get to the weight limit the shorter your flight time will be.  The gimbal and camera combo are good.
2015-3-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mitch, I am not sure how much the Movi weighs but I can say that my S1000 with A2, Lightbridge, Zen for 5DMK III and using a 21,000mAh 6S lipo was near max with a margin for error.  If you go much beyond that I am afraid that you will be at the max payload and have no room for error.
2015-3-11
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

I would tend to agree.  This will be heavier than the typical Zenmuse setup.  The Black Magic Pocket Cam is a better match for a frame this size.
2015-3-12
Use props
Mitch
New

Sweden

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Tahoe Ed -  I was concerned the weight combination would be pushing the platform a little too close to the limits and from what you are saying it seems like you think so too.

Alexander- i have had a look at the Ronin, but I didn't see that much info on how well it integrates with the flying platforms, and I'm a bit worried that DJI aren't really that experienced in dedicated handheld gimbals at that level, where as Freefly are spot on with their Movi range. Plus Ronin is not that much cheaper than the Movi M5. What camera are you flying with the Ronin? Whats the handling like and the flight times?

Joe - Thanks for the advice. I did consider the pocket cam, but was hoping to step it up a bit, we also have a 5D Mkiii - which we would like to use depending on the client and situation, so having 1 gimbal that can adapt to the situation, rather than the shoot having to adjust to the limitations of the camera gimbal. I guess its back to the drawing board
2015-3-13
Use props
darren
New

Canada

Hey Mitch,

We rock the S1000 with the Movi and a Canon 5D, and we are about 300 grams shy of the max weight. Very little room for error. We also have the Zenmuse, which isn't as heavy.

You'll also need different legs for it, as the Movi sits quite low on the copter.

We also ordered some plate thing from Slovenia that helps connect the Movi to the copter.

That said, it's a nice setup.
2015-3-15
Use props
Mitch
New

Sweden

darren@dronethu Posted at 2015-3-15 23:04
Hey Mitch,

We rock the S1000 with the Movi and a Canon 5D, and we are about 300 grams shy of the m ...

Hey Darren,

Do you find that the Movi performs better then the Zenmuse? What sort of flight times are you getting?

A dealer here in Sweden (that doesn't sell the MOVI) said that calibrating the Movi to fly is very difficult to get right, do you find setting up the gimbal difficult compared to the Zenmuse?

Cheers,

Mitch
2015-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules