New User Question
1517 26 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CoffeeNTrees
lvl.2

United States

Quick Hello!

I have spent quite some time flying many different toy and hobby grade quads and decided to pick up a used DJI Phantom 3 standard to mess around with.  Quick question.

The guy forgot to send the charger, and with the holiday weekend it will be 5 days before I see one.

Does the DJI Phantom 3 standard have any onboard charging ability via the mini USB?

Thanks in advance and hello again!
2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008297 ft

Brazil

For remote control you can charge via mini USB but the drone battery only with charger!
2017-2-16
Use props
CoffeeNTrees
lvl.2

United States

Da Lata Posted at 2017-2-16 13:55
For remote control you can charge via mini USB but the drone battery only with charger!

ok, thanks very much!  
2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4

Brazil

Welcome always!

2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Da Lata Posted at 2017-2-16 13:55

I'm not sure the DJI RC may be charged through the USB port.

Perhaps the Phantom 3 Standard RC can. But that is news to me.

Not something I would try with my Phantom 3 Pro RC, for sure not.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
AntBatt13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138337 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 14:08

I charge my P3S RC through the USB port, no problems.
2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4

Brazil

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 14:08

Yes, you can charge the RC via standard USB charger or on computer USB port.... Is the way what I do!
2017-2-16
Use props
CoffeeNTrees
lvl.2

United States

AntBatt13 Posted at 2017-2-16 14:11

ya that works just fine.  it's a shame there's no trickle style charging system to back up the user in case of a lost charger with a timely replacement turnaround time.

cheap toy quads have the ability to charge via mini usb but I assume the voltage is so low that it's either not worth it, or possibly even damaging to a large battery like this.
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AntBatt13 Posted at 2017-2-16 14:11

Yes, the Standard model is a very different animal...

So that doesn't surprise me, at all. ;-)

The Phantom Professional RC has a unique round charging port at the side.
Corresponding to the second charger cable option, on the charger.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Da Lata Posted at 2017-2-16 14:11
Yes, you can charge the RC via standard USB charger or on computer USB port.... Is the way what I do!

Is yours also a Phantom 3 Standard model?

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4

Brazil

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 14:28
Is yours also a Phantom 3 Standard model?

Yes, as shown in the movie. Did not you see that it was a P3S?
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Da Lata Posted at 2017-2-16 15:16
Yes, as shown in the movie. Did not you see that it was a P3S?

What movie? I'm using the All feature of the Phantom posts.

So they are all lumped together under one page. Try it, and see. ;-)

Unless you are the OP of a thread, model ownership is an unknown.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4

Brazil

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 15:21
What movie? .I'm using the All feature of the Phantom posts.

Sorry RHP I replied another post with a movie showing google maps on DJI Go APP... really sorry!

The tread with the movie is: [Misleading] GOOGLE MAPS ARE BACK AGAIN IN DJI GO

2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Da Lata Posted at 2017-2-16 15:43
Sorry RHP I replied another post with a movie showing google maps on DJI Go APP... really sorry!

The tread with the movie is: [Misleading] GOOGLE MAPS ARE BACK AGAIN IN DJI GO

I have no idea, just sharing my confusion. ;-)

Thanks for the explanation. Ok carry on....

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 15:21
What movie? I'm using the All feature of the Phantom posts.

I usually back out of the thread and look at the heading next to the title to see which AC they are posting under (of course that only works if they are posting in the correct forum or not in one of the discussion forums. But it works most of the time). And it works this time too....
2017-2-16
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

I believe the only way to charge a P3S  RC is via the USB port.
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-2-16 16:13
I usually back out of the thread and look at the heading next to the title to see which AC they are posting under (of course that only works if they are posting in the correct forum or not in one of the discussion forums. But it works most of the time). And it works this time too....

The poster I was talking to, wasn't the threads OP so that checking meant little to me.

Anyway, I was talking about the RC and not the drone model, and didn't know the standard RC had no charging port like the Professional RC has built in.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 16:20
The poster I was talking to, wasn't the threads OP so that checking meant little to me.

It doesn't????  I would think it would since the chargers are all the same (except wattage) right?

But OK about not the OP. Yeah, that would not help much then.

Edit: I just brought up a picture of the RC for the standard. I could not see the right side but maybe that is correct. There certainly is a prominant USB port that they mention can charge it.
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-2-16 16:23
It doesn't????  I would think it would since the chargers are all the same (except wattage) right?

But OK about not the OP. Yeah, that would not help much then.

The Phantom 3 Professional 100w charger, has no USB male plug, only the regular battery charger, and a small round plug for the RC. I never knew about the difference of a Phantom 3 Standard charging system before this thread.

Learn something new everyday... Hopefully. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

Just a few things to clarify:-
The OP does say Phantom 3 Standard, unless it's been edited since it was posted.
The Standard comes with a charger for the aircraft battery only, so this must be what was not sent.
The remote control has a UUB port for charging but no charger supplied, not a problem for me as I have various devices that use them so ave a few.
The aircraft has a USB port on the body for extracting flight data dat files and one on the camera gimble for extracting video and photos from the SD card, though I remove the card and put it in my laptop which has a card reader as it's quicker extracting the files.

HTH
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 16:48
The Phantom 3 Professional 100w charger, has no USB male plug, only the regular battery charger, and a small round plug for the RC. I never knew about the difference of a Phantom 3 Standard charging system before this thread.

Learn something new everyday... Hopefully. ;-)

The P3P, P3A and P3 4K use the same charger, along with the lesser wattage one that comes with the P3A. As it's already been  mentioned to you, the P3S is the only one that uses a USB for charging the RC.
2017-2-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-17 00:04
The P3P, P3A and P3 4K use the same charger, along with the lesser wattage one that comes with the P3A. As it's already been  mentioned to you, the P3S is the only one that uses a USB for charging the RC.

DJI-Jamie, Yes, this is a new lesson about the Phantom 3 Standard that I have never been aware of, before today. I honestly never knew this fact. But I'm sure that there are probably several other facts concerning the Phantom 3 Standard that have so far eluded me. Perhaps I should educate myself more, in order to share accurate and plausible facts with others when asking for advice, help, info, or suggestions.

Thanks for helping me understand more, how the Standard model Phantom 3 works and is charged. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Arab Emirates

P3 Standard charging as per DJI :

Controller or commonly termed RC is only charged via the Micro USB port in the base. The charger used would normally be any mobile phone or similar charger most people have at home for such as Samsung, Huawei, Blackberry etc. The max rate of charge should never exceed 2A and is better to stay in the 1A region. It will take near two hours to full charge the RC from storage level. The battery is a 2650mAh 1S LiPo at 3.6V nominal and 4.2V full charge.

The Aircraft or AC as often termed by drone-addicts uses a 15.2V nominal and 17.4V full charged 4450mAh 4S High Voltage LiPo battery pack in a dedicated sealed case. The DJI way to charge is via a fixed regulated 17.4V power brick while battery is OUTSIDE model. It has only a two contact charge lead and has two modes that need to be understood :

From a usual low level of charge - you can just connect and start charging. Charge will self terminate at full and is indicated by the LED's no longer scrolling.

From a high level of charged state of over about 90% - to topup you need to switch on the battery BEFORE connecting charger ... then the charge controller board is over-ridden to allow charge to full capacity. Again indicated by LED's no longer scrolling.

The method of connection to the flight battery is this only ... there is no possibility to charge via the aircraft itself.

The method to charge the controller is via that USB port only. There is no other method to charge this.

As to others who insist on posting irrelevant rubbish in sections that they do not even own the model of interest - well lets hope the explanation here gets absorbed.
For any other information about the make-up / construction / ways the DJI battery works - can always PM me. I have dismantled and tested these P3 batterys.

Nigel
2017-2-17
Use props
fanscc7d61cc
New

United States

Hi I just purchased the Phantom 3 standard.i realise I need my WiFi connected to view the camera on my android.so what do you do in the field with no wifi? How do you view the camera when it want let you unless you connected to phantom wifi.please help anyone.it don't make since to record if you can't see what your recording.
2017-2-17
Use props
Impulse
lvl.1

New Zealand

I use my Samsung USB charger. Charges it pretty quick
2017-2-17
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

fanscc7d61cc Posted at 2017-2-17 19:48
Hi I just purchased the Phantom 3 standard.i realise I need my WiFi connected to view the camera on my android.so what do you do in the field with no wifi? How do you view the camera when it want let you unless you connected to phantom wifi.please help anyone.it don't make since to record if you can't see what your recording.

You have to connect your mobile device to the remote control WiFi for the Dji Go App to work properly
2017-2-18
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

fanscc7d61cc Posted at 2017-2-17 19:48

For the purpose of flying, you pretend your remote is a router. On your device, look for the name Phantom.  Connect your device to that wifi signal.  The password is 12341234.  You can not connect to the internet at the same time as you are connect to the Phantoms wifi.  All of this is in the manual, which you should read twice.
2017-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules