Problems with Mavic RMA process
2079 22 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joshnl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1738369 ft
Canada

This is aimed at folks on this forum such as DJI-Ken, in the hopes they can provide some help.

I'll start by saying I'm currently in the process of getting a SECOND replacement for my Mavic, and the process is taking far longer than initially promised.

I purchased (as in paid for) my Mavic at the beginning of Oct. More than 4 MONTHS later, I have yet to have a properly working drone in my hands. This is absurd.

First there was the issue with the infamous Mavic shipping delays. Finally, after about 2 months (about 1.5 months longer than I was told initially), I received my first Mavic. This unit suffered from a defective gimbal. I sent this in for a replacement, which was provided to me in late January, about 1.5 months after I received the first defective unit. When I tried the second unit, I discovered there was a significant lens decentering problem with it.

I quickly started an RMA process with DJI, where I was told at the outset it would take 7-14 business days for them to send me a replacement. The first frustration was the customer service rep kept me online for 2 hours (!!!) to set up the RMA, because he would take forever to respond to me each time. Next, they failed to get a return shipping label to me in the 1-2 days promised, because they had somehow lost my phone number (this was only uncovered after I followed up with customer service a COUPLE more times). By this time, it had already been almost a week since I started the RMA (meaning at least a few days were lost in this process). Finally, DJI received my second defective drone. After following up with them a couple more times on the expected time line (and them supposedly "escalating" it, whatever that means), they kept pushing it out to 7-14 more business days each time (as if resetting the clock from when I first started the RMA). The most recent follow-up before today was last week, when the customer service rep told me they would be sending it to me this week. I followed up again today, and sure enough... another 5-7 business days before they even send it (and he didn't sound very sure of that), because they're waiting for new stock to arrive. If this latest estimate is correct (which I doubt it is), by the time I receive the replacement, it will have been about 5 WEEKS since I started the RMA. This is a far cry from the 7-14 business days I was initially promised. And again, just to emphasize this point, it will have been almost 5 MONTHS since I paid for this thing. This is completely RIDICULOUS. I should also add that I've paid for DJI Care, which does not seem to have helped one bit in this case.

So (1) I wanted to share my experience with others as a warning to deal with DJI customer service, and (2) I'm hoping that DJI-Ken or someone else that works for DJI can help me see this process through to the end without it taking another 5 months.

Thank you.

2017-2-16
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It will be helpful if you rpovide them with RMA AND CASE #
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Joshnl, we do understand how frustrating it must be, very sorry for your experience.
Please provide us your latest case number, we'll look into the case and try our best to get it sorted out as soon as possible.
2017-2-16
Use props
christangey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27719574 ft
  • >>>
Australia

All very interesting to hear as I have to do an RMA but am totally lost so far on how you do it under guarantee, as opposed to under DJI Care refresh (which I have anyway). I have a gimbal issue that is clearly a DJI problem, very similar to this guy: so I want a repair or replacement. BUT if you read the fine print it appears that DJI only offer a 15 day or, possibly, 30 day guarantee which is totally illegal under Australian law. Come somebody direct me to where you can make an RMA claim under guarantee?
2017-2-17
Use props
pi$$ed_off
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-2-17
Use props
pi$$ed_off
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-2-17
Use props
joshnl
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks DJI Natalia. My case number is CAS-424092-J6D9Z6.

That said, I just got an email notification this morning that my replacement has shipped and is due to be delivered next Thurs. I'm really hoping this unit will be free of defects, and will in fact arrive as per the scheduled delivery date.

I generally don't like to complain on public forums about this sort of thing, but I just feel that DJI is so far below any other company I've ever dealt with in terms of customer service that I will likely not buy any DJI products in the future. While their products - when they work as they're supposed to - are by far the best on the market, I'm not prepared to go through such a hassle ever again for what for me is supposed to be a fun activity. I was so incredibly excited about the Mavic when I first placed my order almost 5 months ago... but at this point, after all the crap I've had to go though, much of that excitement has been replaced by frustration and just not wanting to deal with it anymore. I'm trying to be constructive in my feedback, and I really hope it helps towards DJI improving their customer service in the future.
2017-2-17
Use props
neo0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 115997 ft
United States

Joshnl,

I'm in the same situation at this moment with my Mavic  and  my biggest fear is that i will end up with the same feeling about this company..$1200.00 that my wife spent for this unit was hard earn money. no one and i mean no should be going thur so much issues in getting their Mavic Pro either repair right away or better yet receiving it in good working order..I hoping that i receive my without issue. Other wise full refund and moving on to something else.  I've already miss out on having a good video shoot of a trip that i just got back from
2017-2-17
Use props
joshnl
lvl.2
Canada

neo0 Posted at 2017-2-17 14:11
Joshnl,

I'm in the same situation at this moment with my Mavic  and  my biggest fear is that i will end up with the same feeling about this company..$1200.00 that my wife spent for this unit was hard earn money. no one and i mean no should be going thur so much issues in getting their Mavic Pro either repair right away or better yet receiving it in good working order..I hoping that i receive my without issue. Other wise full refund and moving on to something else.  I've already miss out on having a good video shoot of a trip that i just got back from

I hear you, neo0. I've missed out on pretty much the entire winter here in BC, which is one of the main reasons I purchased this when I did. Good luck with yours!
2017-2-17
Use props
neo0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 115997 ft
United States

joshnl Posted at 2017-2-17 23:16
I hear you, neo0. I've missed out on pretty much the entire winter here in BC, which is one of the main reasons I purchased this when I did. Good luck with yours!

you to buddy.
2017-2-18
Use props
christangey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27719574 ft
  • >>>
Australia

joshnl Posted at 2017-2-17 11:07
Thanks DJI Natalia. My case number is CAS-424092-J6D9Z6.

That said, I just got an email notification this morning that my replacement has shipped and is due to be delivered next Thurs. I'm really hoping this unit will be free of defects, and will in fact arrive as per the scheduled delivery date.

I still don't understand how you even GET a case number. Where is the link to submit an RMA, as opposed to a claim under DJI Refresh where they may want to charge you to correct  a defect that should done be under warranty.
2017-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

christangey1 Posted at 2017-2-19 00:49
I still don't understand how you even GET a case number. Where is the link to submit an RMA, as opposed to a claim under DJI Refresh where they may want to charge you to correct  a defect that should done be under warranty.

You can contact dji support  ' all details of emails and phone numbers are on this app,

Just go to opening page on app and click on MORE on left hand side, and then on support and you will find all email and phone contacts there.

https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
Good luck..
2017-2-19
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

joshnl Posted at 2017-2-17 23:16

Hi, OP, we are not able to help you without your case number. So if you may, please.
2017-2-22
Use props
fans238d7034
lvl.1
Flight distance : 697936 ft
Belgium

received mine a week ago and its on its way back will not focus at all
2017-2-22
Use props
joshnl
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-22 01:40
Hi, OP, we are not able to help you without your case number. So if you may, please.

As mentioned in a post above (several days ago), my case number is CAS-424092-J6D9Z6.
2017-2-22
Use props
joshnl
lvl.2
Canada

Hello DJI-Natalia, DJI-Thor, or DJI-Ken. I just received my replacement unit today, and it came with a piece of plastic broken off the back of the gimbal (the box was banged up in shipping, and the unit came with the gimbal lock and cover not in place). This was my SECOND replacement Mavic (as in I had TWO previous units that were defective before this latest one). It's now been 5 MONTHS (!!!) since I initially paid for my Mavic, and I still don't have one that works properly. No product in the world is worth this much hassle.

I'm done with DJI. Unless a new (and perfectly working unit) can be shipped to me within one week from now, I would like a full refund for my Mavic. Can you please help. As stated before, my case number is CAS-424092-J6D9Z6.
2017-2-23
Use props
NMURPHY4
lvl.2

United States

joshnl Posted at 2017-2-23 20:52
Hello DJI-Natalia, DJI-Thor, or DJI-Ken. I just received my replacement unit today, and it came with a piece of plastic broken off the back of the gimbal (the box was banged up in shipping, and the unit came with the gimbal lock and cover not in place). This was my SECOND replacement Mavic (as in I had TWO previous units that were defective before this latest one). It's now been 5 MONTHS (!!!) since I initially paid for my Mavic, and I still don't have one that works properly. No product in the world is worth this much hassle.

I'm done with DJI. Unless a new (and perfectly working unit) can be shipped to me within one week from now, I would like a full refund for my Mavic. Can you please help. As stated before, my case number is CAS-424092-J6D9Z6.

wow that sucks. im nervous for my replacement whenever it gets here...
2017-2-23
Use props
Becco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48146 ft
United States

You are making me nervous
I am on round one with rma & it has taken to long for a simple repair that their invoice shows as a 1 hour repair, that was 2 days ago & 6 days to get it checked in.
Now I have to worry about getting it back in working conditions?
I just want to fly!!
2017-2-23
Use props
joshnl
lvl.2
Canada

Yup, I actually can't believe this is happening in real life. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's been 5 months since I ordered my Mavic (Oct. 6), and I still don't have a working one in hand. I can't express how incredibly frustrated I am. I've essentially given up on any hope of ever owning a properly working drone, and am now just praying I don't lose the $1400 I paid.
2017-2-23
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

joshnl Posted at 2017-2-23 22:21
Yup, I actually can't believe this is happening in real life. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's been 5 months since I ordered my Mavic (Oct. 6), and I still don't have a working one in hand. I can't express how incredibly frustrated I am. I've essentially given up on any hope of ever owning a properly working drone, and am now just praying I don't lose the $1400 I paid.

We're very sorry about it, our colleague will contact you within a day and solve this issue ASAP.
2017-2-24
Use props
fans909a8d2d
lvl.1
United States

The drones need to stop being shipped ground, or they need to have more protective packaging. The units take quite a beating during shipping. Esp the gimbal.
2017-2-24
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

fans909a8d2d Posted at 2017-2-24 05:40
The drones need to stop being shipped ground, or they need to have more protective packaging. The units take quite a beating during shipping. Esp the gimbal.

I can't imagine that DJI is not working on a solution to gimble damage in shipping but as with all large companies, the wheels turn slowly. Seems like there have been an extraordinary number of returns generated for damaged gimbles in shipping.  That has got to be costing them money and angry customers. They need to design in some more protective packing, perhaps a molded styrofoam block that fits inside the gimble cover and then tape the gimble cover to the aircraft frame for shipping.  Mine came with the gimble lock bouncing around inside the cover when I opened the package. Fortunately the gimble was undamaged in my case, but as fragile as it is I can see where many would arrive damaged.

I used to work in the fulfillment business and I know how packages get tossed around during shipping. It can take some trial and error in package designs to come up with a solution that works reliably. When we were designing new packages for product shipment we'd mock up  the package, put the product inside, and drop it, kick it, and drop heavy packages on top of it to see how it would fare before ordering custom packaging in bulk, and we still occasionally had to make design changes because we underestimated just how badly the package would get beat up.
2017-2-24
Use props
fans909a8d2d
lvl.1
United States

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-24 06:01
I can't imagine that DJI is not working on a solution to gimble damage in shipping but as with all large companies, the wheels turn slowly. Seems like there have been an extraordinary number of returns generated for damaged gimbles in shipping.  That has got to be costing them money and angry customers. They need to design in some more protective packing, perhaps a molded styrofoam block that fits inside the gimble cover and then tape the gimble cover to the aircraft frame for shipping.  Mine came with the gimble lock bouncing around inside the cover when I opened the package. Fortunately the gimble was undamaged in my case, but as fragile as it is I can see where many would arrive damaged.

I used to work in the fulfillment business and I know how packages get tossed around during shipping. It can take some trial and error in package designs to come up with a solution that works reliably. When we were designing new packages for product shipment we'd mock up  the package, put the product inside, and drop it, kick it, and drop heavy packages on top of it to see how it would fare before ordering custom packaging in bulk, and we still occasionally had to make design changes because we underestimated just how badly the package would get beat up.

I used to work at UPS loading the ground trucks, so i am also aware of how badly packages get treated. Your idea of the foam block/cover for the gimbal during shipping would be great. Take away the chance of the gimbal ever being able to move and flop around at all during shipping. Softly lock that sucker in place.
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules