First Flight Concerns
1276 12 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ricktator
lvl.1
Flight distance : 306722 ft
United States

I activated my Mavic yesterday and had my first "real" (more than 20ft off the ground) flight today. While flying at an altitude of about 100 feet, when flying forward and then letting off the stick, it sounded like the motors would lose power momentarily and then would resume. This happened several times and I feared the drone would fall out of the sky. I was flying in fairly low light and little to no wind. I am new to DJI drones and have much to learn about the various features they offer, so I ask, should I be concerned?

Many Thanks!

2017-2-16
Use props
NugGerath
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135118 ft
Poland

No, look at some charts how the quad copters propellers work, which one works when etc. Of course i did not hear what you hear - but some voices can be disturbing in first few hours of flight. I`m beginner also - so maybe someone more experienced take a vote
2017-2-16
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Did it lose height or directional control ? If not then all you're hearing are the blades compensating for your inputs, in this case the drone had to decelerate to come to a stop by spinning up the rotors to act as a brake while at the same time maintaining height. Was it not more the case that you heard it increase in volume while it was decelerating and then decrease in volume as it achieved it's stationary hover.
2017-2-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I know you said that there was "little to no wind", but even a 50' change in altitude can result in a very different wind velocity, and you mentioned that your Mavic was twice that distance from the ground. And by any chance were you flying into the wind when this occurred?
2017-2-16
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wind gust can occur at any level... You can download UAVFORECAST.COM. Free app gives tons of ifno and will let you know if it safe to fly. Highly suggested!
2017-2-16
Use props
ricktator
lvl.1
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-16 17:20
Did it lose height or directional control ? If not then all you're hearing are the blades compensating for your inputs, in this case the drone had to decelerate to come to a stop by spinning up the rotors to act as a brake while at the same time maintaining height. Was it not more the case that you heard it increase in volume while it was decelerating and then decrease in volume as it achieved it's stationary hover.

I believe it did lose a small amount of altitude, but I'll have to fly her again tomorrow and observe more closely. I also believe, in conjunction with the perceived power loss, there was a fast flash of yellow from the rear status light.
2017-2-16
Use props
ricktator
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-16 17:36
I know you said that there was "little to no wind", but even a 50' change in altitude can result in a very different wind velocity, and you mentioned that your Mavic was twice that distance from the ground. And by any chance were you flying into the wind when this occurred?

A very valid observation. I will keep that in mind my next time out. Additionally, I believe there was a fast flash of yellow from the status light at the time of the perceived power loss.
2017-2-16
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

You can check the data in the flight recorder for any warnings or anomalies.
2017-2-16
Use props
ricktator
lvl.1
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-16 19:35
You can check the data in the flight recorder for any warnings or anomalies.

I don't have the controller immediately accessible at the moment, but is that a menu option of some sort?

Thanks
2017-2-17
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

This may be different to your IOS version, but here goes.

You don't need the drone or controller to check your flight data. Open up the DJIgo 4 app on your phone/tablet. Choose the Mavic Pro as your preferred drone if it doesn't default to it. Along the bottom of the screen reading left to right there are four icons starting with "Equipment". Above that it should read "Disconnected", and above that is an arrow pointer/radar icon. Tap that icon.

The screen will open with a list of statistical data showing top distance, speed and altitude you've achieved. Below that should be listed all the flights you have made to date. Scroll down to show the flight you might be interested in and tap it. This opens up the map view showing the start of when the drone was turned on and synced with the controller. This is a recording of that flight which can be played through and will show the course the drone took as an animation on the map. Apart from the data you see at the top of the screen, any warnings that were made will appear at the time they did during the flight. Tap the controller icon at the bottom of the screen to overlay stick movements that were made during the flight. To view another flight exit the screen with the "X" icon top left and choose another record OR use the arrow keys at the top of the screen on the left hand and right hand sides to sequentially load the next flight.

Hope that helps.
2017-2-18
Use props
ricktator
lvl.1
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-18 00:51
This may be different to your IOS version, but here goes.

You don't need the drone or controller to check your flight data. Open up the DJIgo 4 app on your phone/tablet. Choose the Mavic Pro as your preferred drone if it doesn't default to it. Along the bottom of the screen reading left to right there are four icons starting with "Equipment". Above that it should read "Disconnected", and above that is an arrow pointer/radar icon. Tap that icon.

You've been extremely helpful, thank you. Regarding my initial concern, I believe you were correct in that I was hearing the drone compensating for my inputs. I flew a much less powerful drone prior to the Mavic and the effects of my input weren't nearly as noticeable.
2017-2-18
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

My pleasure, after all us ricks have to stick together!
2017-2-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

ricktator Posted at 2017-2-18 08:37
You've been extremely helpful, thank you. Regarding my initial concern, I believe you were correct in that I was hearing the drone compensating for my inputs. I flew a much less powerful drone prior to the Mavic and the effects of my input weren't nearly as noticeable.

Just as rick39 said it's just a change of stick input, you will get used to hearing those sounds, just check it at 20 ft a lot easier to see what's going on and you can also check if there is height change when your breaking..
2017-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules