Take P3S on Airplane
1994 18 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

What are some tips to take the P3S on the airplane? Also, is it possible?
2017-2-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Tip 1. Do not fly it in the cabin.  You will most likey break props if you try.
2017-2-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Tip 2. Be discreet about it. In some countries one aircraft entering another aircraft can violate the public decency laws.
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

You always want to check with our airline or where you're going for any restrictions. In general, domestic flights have only reallly acquired that the LiPo batteries are carry on.
2017-2-16
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-16 17:44
Tip 1. Do not fly it in the cabin.  You will most likey break props if you try.

Duh, I am just taking to for one flight..lol
2017-2-17
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Also, should I buy a DJI Phantom Series hard case for my P3S?  https://store.dji.com/product/mu ... ?from=menu_products
2017-2-17
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-17 10:13
Also, should I buy a DJI Phantom Series hard case for my P3S?  https://store.dji.com/product/multifunctional-backpack-for-phantom-series?from=menu_products

Seriously the airlines should not have an issue with taking it as hand luggage, any problem will be with batteries. There can be restrictions and procedures surrounding batteries which contain lithium due to fire hazards. It would be best to check their policies before you book or fly.

Expect some interest when you put it through the X-Ray as it will be an unusual item. They may want to just have a look to make their day a bit different. I have had the same thing when bringing my cameras through security, sometimes one of the officers wants to have a look at the lenses. Have been asked how I find various items to use etc.

The hardcase would make it easier and safer.  It also makes it look like you are used to traveling with the aircraft.
2017-2-17
Use props
Taydav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
United States

Discharge the batteries down to 30 percent and package them in separate .platic bags if you don't have lipo bags. This prevents any chance of battery contacts shorting.
Also a good idea to label thar bags with the battery capacity (w/h) in case there are any questions
2017-2-17
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

I went on an international flight in September with my P3S with no issues at all.  They were more interested in my laptop than my drone.
2017-2-18
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Philly Phantom Posted at 2017-2-18 07:13
I went on an international flight in September with my P3S with no issues at all.  They were more interested in my laptop than my drone.

Which airline? How did you pack the drone, did you check the drone in to cargo or take it with you. How many batteries?
2017-2-18
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-18 09:07
Which airline? How did you pack the drone, did you check the drone in to cargo or take it with you. How many batteries?

I bought this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jet Blue.  Carry on with 2 batteries and my 10" tablet in the bag.  No issues at all.  Didn't even make me open the bag.
2017-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-18 09:07

Go to your airline's website and search for Lithium or batteries in their dangerous goods section.
They all have the same info which is: you must carry your batteries on and cannot put them in checked luggage.
No-one will care or be particularly interested in the Phantom.
They see them every day of the week.
You always gety comments on forums suggesting you should discharge batteries but this is just a myth.
No airline or TSA person will ever ask about this and no airline mentions it on their website.
2017-2-19
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

It's a bit like taking dangerous items on board. No way would they allow me to carry a club or asp on an aircraft but I routinely fly with a Manfroto Monopod.

Top one is fine the lower one is not allowed. Both would make quite a dent in a skull.
2017-2-19
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

I took my P3S on a trip to Thailand a few weeks ago. I bought a backpack for the drone and simply carried it on the flight. No one blinked an eye.
2017-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-19 17:40
It's a bit like taking dangerous items on board. No way would they allow me to carry a club or asp on an aircraft but I routinely fly with a Manfroto Monopod.

[view_image]

It's all about whether or not it's on the list.

A Qantas pilot friend told me about trouble he had getting through security with his First Officer who had a pair of nail clippers in his bag.
The security person said to him with a straight face .. Sir, I cannot allow you to board the plane with anything that may assist you to take over control of the plane.
2017-2-19
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

In Dublin it was revealed that after going through the security check and X-Ray, where items like nail files etc. would be confiscated, you could then go into the gift shop and buy a Swiss Army Knife. Not only with various blades but also that tool to remove stones from a horses hoof.

I did get into trouble there once. Had a particularly rude and hostile operator in the security. I had taken my laptop out etc. She then barked at me to take off my jacket. I complied. Next it was snarled that I had to remove my belt (even though it never beeped) and shoes. I was a bit shocked at her tone but did as ordered. I then took off my shirt too. She got VERY angry at that point and demanded to know what I was doing. I said I was continuing to get undressed as I did not want to be yelled at any further. Quite a few giggles from the others in the queue, which annoyed  her further. I was then taken aside and had to speak to her supervisor. Apparently my bare chest had offended her. I said I hope she never goes to the beach or a pool then. The supervisor was trying to look stern but also found it to be ridiculous. I had to sincerely apologise to be allowed to continue to my flight.
2017-2-19
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-19 20:18
In Dublin it was revealed that after going through the security check and X-Ray, where items like nail files etc. would be confiscated, you could then go into the gift shop and buy a Swiss Army Knife. Not only with various blades but also that tool to remove stones from a horses hoof.

I did get into trouble there once. Had a particularly rude and hostile operator in the security. I had taken my laptop out etc. She then barked at me to take off my jacket. I complied. Next it was snarled that I had to remove my belt (even though it never beeped) and shoes. I was a bit shocked at her tone but did as ordered. I then took off my shirt too. She got VERY angry at that point and demanded to know what I was doing. I said I was continuing to get undressed as I did not want to be yelled at any further. Quite a few giggles from the others in the queue, which annoyed  her further. I was then taken aside and had to speak to her supervisor. Apparently my bare chest had offended her. I said I hope she never goes to the beach or a pool then. The supervisor was trying to look stern but also found it to be ridiculous. I had to sincerely apologise to be allowed to continue to my flight.

The public humiliation of having to meekly comply with the orders of a random power-tripping employee isn't enough. They want you to LIKE it. And she was offended at your humour? It's as if hurt feelings are as bad as crimes in the west these days.
2017-2-19
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

I should not do it but sometimes I cannot help but challenge authority
2017-2-19
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

They need to protect the airplanes so if I can't bring the drone for safety I am okay.
2017-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules