Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Just an idea to help Emergency units
1518 11 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

So I work for a major health care provider in Virginia. Something that was brought up by the pilots of the Nightingale regional air ambulance, was the issue of MR being in the flight area sometimes were they are tring to land or enter. Working in healthcare, this sorta worries me. The main reason is because if you are being air lifted, it is usally pretty bad and time matters. So if a pilot has to loiter a while waiting for ground personel to find the MR pilot and ask them to leave or land, that is taking away time that the patient could be prepred and back in the air.  We run these helicopters from Kittyhawk NC to Norfolk VA and all the way up to Northern Virginia. My question to DJI is. Could their products be updated or in the future have a feature that allwos emergency vehicles to send out a beacon that the MR detects that will inform the MR pilot that an emergency vehicle is approching and they should land or have it auto land/return to home? I know a lot of other companies do not do this but I am hoping DJI will hear me out on this. Lets face it, DJI is a power house and almost all others copie them in what they design and do. If the flight controllers are already listening to certian channels in the 2.4 or what ever it is. Then it could be easy for DJI just to have the MR units listen to that channel at all times. This would only leave other companies to build a product to attach to the emergency vehicles that broadcast this while in operation. Just a thought and wondering what others thoughts would be on this also.
PS. excuse grammar and spelling.
2017-2-17
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Hi Rinzler,

I think a signal to be sent to a drone in the air to be forced to return to home is not such a great idea. This should be a decision made by the pilot.

However there is technology out there that could help improve the safety. Some radar detectors for cars have a feature built into them that allows the driver to get a signal that there is either roadworks ahead, emergency vehicle ahead etc etc. This then allows the driver to take action or even just be a bit move vigilant.

Something for DJI to think about?
2017-2-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I'm sorry what is MR stand for .   I take it as a Pilot of a Remote control aircraft of some kind .  also does this happen that often , wow, if so had no idea.

If I see emergency air vehicles it is common sense to get the hell out of the area, don't know why they are loitering if this is indeed the case .

I think cars?trucks etc  should also have some sort of device when driving to know of approaching emergency vehicles, for example the ambulances in my area signal the Lights to change and there is a bright light just below the signal to let you know the Emergency vehicle is near and that the Light is locked for him in the direction of travel .  If I have the radio on and the Heater or AC blasting I can't hear them till on top of me .  An Indicator either visual or audible or both would be nice.

donnie
2017-2-18
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-18 05:48
I'm sorry what is MR stand for .   I take it as a Pilot of a Remote control aircraft of some kind .  also does this happen that often , wow, if so had no idea.

If I see emergency air vehicles it is common sense to get the hell out of the area, don't know why they are loitering if this is indeed the case .

MR = Multirotor. And it does happen often here because of the beaches etc. The problem you and my self are smart enough to know to leave the area or land. These people thou walking into Bestbuy are more than likely not going to. Example would be people trying to film a car wreck or burning house etc and getting close. I guess we hear about it more is because of the area I live in. I know I see that heli copter at least 3 times a day from my house going between areas of need.
2017-2-19
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-2-17 11:19
Hi Rinzler,

I think a signal to be sent to a drone in the air to be forced to return to home is not such a great idea. This should be a decision made by the pilot.

My point was for it to warn the pilot of a approaching emergency aircraft and if the pilot does start a RTH of their own than the aircraft should do it on its own after set timer has reached. Something thou regardless should be done.
2017-2-19
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Rinzler Posted at 2017-2-19 10:03
My point was for it to warn the pilot of a approaching emergency aircraft and if the pilot does start a RTH of their own than the aircraft should do it on its own after set timer has reached. Something thou regardless should be done.

Yes I see what you are saying but hell guess what!

take for example a straight line  point A drone operator... Point B incoming emergency heli etc... Point C the drone!!!

should it be set to RTH without the Drone pilots input? and flown straight into the incoming Heli without the drone operator being able to do anything but watch the potential accident?

Back to my point. If the emergency heli was fitted with a warning signal (like ambulances and roadworks) it sends out a digital signal to the RC tablet that it is approching and to beware aware!!

What were looking at is something that is already in place in some emergency vehicles and is probably only a software update in the app for the drone operator.
As they say , food for thought!
2017-2-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree that time matters in a emergency situation. I do not like the fact that something else would cause the drone to land or take over the control of my aircraft. Personally, I would never endanger or put my drone up into this environment.

I am a retired commercial helicopter pilot among other things and understand what you are saying. I hate the idea of another restriction placed on our model aircraft in the name of safety sake. The basic idea is not a bad one giving us a heads up on the screen, but let the pilot handle the "MR" and not force it down by others.

Rich
2017-2-19
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

I don't think you want DJI involved in something like this.  They've had issues with everything they've made
2017-2-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Rinzler Posted at 2017-2-19 10:00
MR = Multirotor. And it does happen often here because of the beaches etc. The problem you and my self are smart enough to know to leave the area or land. These people thou walking into Bestbuy are more than likely not going to. Example would be people trying to film a car wreck or burning house etc and getting close. I guess we hear about it more is because of the area I live in. I know I see that heli copter at least 3 times a day from my house going between areas of need.

Thanks, It always seems obvious once you get the answer !!

donnie
2017-2-21
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-21 04:59

donnie

And here Donnie I thought you had all the answers! even I new that one
2017-2-21
Use props
Tdiggity
lvl.1
Flight distance : 882976 ft
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-21 04:59

donnie

Hahahaha when a guy with a registered million meters distance and “Captain” status asks what something means it makes me feel way better about not knowing and googling it. Then i feel like a rookie again when i find it later on down the thread.....
2017-10-3
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

Tdiggity Posted at 2017-10-3 08:22
Hahahaha when a guy with a registered million meters distance and “Captain” status asks what something means it makes me feel way better about not knowing and googling it. Then i feel like a rookie again when i find it later on down the thread.....

Ha Ha , thanks for the chortle , I honestly had NO idea what it meant !  there are so many abbreviations I sometimes can't keep up !!

donnie
2017-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules