Software not working. Unacceptably frustrating. Not recommending DJI
1287 18 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TI_Phantom4
New
Flight distance : 18031 ft
Switzerland

A few days ago I bought a Phantom 4 and having all sort of software problems.
I have not even tried to fly it given the numerous problems.

Two friends wanted to buy the P4. I recommended them not to do it and look elsewhere.

- Problem: DJI Go 4 not working on Samsung Note 4.
I installed DJI Go 4 and connected the P4, but the software would just keep crashing. Nothing I would change seemed to solve the issue.

- Problem: DJI Go not working
Uninstalled DJI Go 4 and installed DJI Go.
Connected to the phantom and could use the app for several minutes, even fliying in the simulator. No problem whatsoever... great, I thought.
The app recommended firmware upgrade of the P4 so...

- DJI Assistant 2 not working (on windows 10)
Installed DJI Assistant 2 and simply could not get it to talk to the P4. It's not a USB problem since windows can see the SD card in the P4, it's just Assistant 2 that is oblivious to the P4 being connected to the PC.
It is not a firewall problem, btw. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling with no luck. I even tried on two different laptops with no success.

Annoying but no big deal, I thought, I will upgrade the firmware through the DJI Go app...

- DJI Go not working on samsung note 4
... except that now I can't start DJI Go anymore (Samsung Note 4, latest android update). It launches and then immediately shuts down with reporting a simple "error and have stopped".
Uninstalling/reinstalling does not help.
It worked the first time and does not anymore so clearly something has happened, but it's hard to fault the phone when so many problems seem to arise with every DJI software I deal with!

The amount of time wasted with these matters is more than unacceptable even for a cheap product, which the P4 certainly is not.
I am certainly not going to throw away all my phones and pcs (windows and android) and spend money on apple products.

This is by far the most frustrating experience I have had with any "software product".
Writing here may or may not serve a purpose, but at least I can vent some frustration out.

Thanks for reading
2017-2-17
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you have fast internet and fast processor. Force close all of you apps. If di NOT work, use IOS, I use IPHONE 6S + with no problem.
2017-2-17
Use props
TANGOMIKE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1522451 ft
Italy

dronist Posted at 2017-2-17 12:42
Make sure you have fast internet and fast processor. Force close all of you apps. If di NOT work, use IOS, I use IPHONE 6S + with no problem.

Great reply! Now android users know that they must sell their device and buy an Iphone to use P4!
2017-2-17
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

You might find some help here:  http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-3-with-note-4.66823/  seems that others have had this same experience with the Note 4 and the GO APP
2017-2-17
Use props
Beux
lvl.2
United States

I'll be honest with you...I bought the P4P+ just so I wouldn't have to deal with issues like this. I know it doesn't help with your situation but I was worried about software glitches,incompatibilities, and any other reasons the control software would bug out. I wanted to put compatibility in DJI's hands. I have really crappy range but haven't had any goofy software issues.
2017-2-17
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TANGOMIKE Posted at 2017-2-17 13:19
Great reply! Now android users know that they must sell their device and buy an Iphone to use P4!

or P4P OR P4P+ OR MP... Just the fact...
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We're very sorry about it, find a historic version here and try it please  https://apkpure.com/dji-go/dji.pilot

2017-2-17
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-17 23:25
We're very sorry about it, find a historic version here and try it please  https://apkpure.com/dji-go/dji.pilot

This site has DJI GO APP 3.1.2 available.  Not sure you should encourage anyone to "try" using it.
2017-2-18
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-17 12:42

I use many androids and many pc's and never an issue
IOS is NOT a fix all FWIW
2017-2-18
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-17 17:35
or P4P OR P4P+ OR MP... Just the fact...

really,
you need an IOS device for those?

Now I  guess I need to figure out why mine works great without IOS
2017-2-18
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Try a good quility usb cable, everything you are doing involves the usb.

If the cable is poor quality or defective in even a partial way , most all of this could ocur.

Good luck and have fun flying!
2017-2-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Beux Posted at 2017-2-17 16:40
I'll be honest with you...I bought the P4P+ just so I wouldn't have to deal with issues like this. I know it doesn't help with your situation but I was worried about software glitches,incompatibilities, and any other reasons the control software would bug out. I wanted to put compatibility in DJI's hands. I have really crappy range but haven't had any goofy software issues.

Beux,

I got over 19,000' range with my P4P+. I use Auto and 2.4ghz  with SLOS  and never had a  problem with range.

Where do you usually fly around?
2017-2-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-2-18 08:22
I use many androids and many pc's and never an issue
IOS is NOT a fix all FWIW

I am with you. I am suggesting IOS for a LAST RESORT...
2017-2-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-2-18 08:23
really,
you need an IOS device for those?

Except the P4P+ of course....
2017-2-18
Use props
El'KaBong
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-17 23:25

He can't try a previous version! It will make him update as soon as he launches it. LOL!
2017-2-18
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

DJI is a apple fan, that is probably why, I would suggest using IOS, because when I need to be really safe I use my dad's phone.
2017-2-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You are having problems with the software on a device that others have had trouble with.
But there are plenty of users having no problems on their hardware.
The problem is with your hardware or its configuration - not the software.
2017-2-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-18 17:25
DJI is a apple fan, that is probably why, I would suggest using IOS, because when I need to be really safe I use my dad's phone.

"DJI is a apple fan, that is probably why"
Probably why they used Apple software for the P4 pro+.
Oh wait ... they used Android !!!
2017-2-18
Use props
TI_Phantom4
New
Flight distance : 18031 ft
Switzerland

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-18 17:35
You are having problems with the software on a device that others have had trouble with.
But there are plenty of users having no problems on their hardware.
The problem is with your hardware or its configuration - not the software.

- An update after a week or so: I managed to get the DJI Go app going on an old samsung tablet (note 10.4 or something similar, I don't even remember the correct name).
The video connection is shaky at best, but it is not a surprise given the old tablet/processor.
DJI Go 4 doesn't work on the device, probably because it's too old (fair enough).

- However, I cannot agree with the above quoted reply.
The DJI Go app works for some people but not for others on the same Android device.
Of course it is a compatibility issue. A combination of hardware and software setup (carrier installed or else) must be at fault.
However, when every single app I try on my phone works except DJI Go, then it is simply not fair to blame the phone/user. If every software house except DJI can get their app to work, then the issue is with the DJI app and not with the user.
We are not talking about an obscure android device built by an hobbyst, we are talking about one of the most common phones in the world which, btw, is included in the list of compatible devices.

Finally, I am using the USB cable supplied by DJI. Blaming the lack of quality of the cable is, again, not an acceptable solution.

- I will acquire a new tablet/phone sooner rather than later, but I do hope that DJI will fix its software compatibility issues.
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules