Serios "VIDEO QUALITY" Question!
1156 5 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CHUI_ERSH
lvl.1

Russia

Hi Guys! Wanted to try to find out in this topic the best sollution for image quality on my devices!

I know maybe there ve been already such topics but please everebody lets discuss one more time)

So normally i am making some documentary and commercials and the picture quality is very important for me. I am shootting with different camera systems but all aerial photography normally was prepared by other people - not me. Finally i am a lucky Dji Phantom 4/Dji Osmo X3 owner. I ve watched already many information on youtube and forums about perfect picture settings on the devices itself and dont want to waste time on it

BUT!

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT TAKING FROM THE STOCK FOOTAGE MAXIMUM QUALITY TO THE FINAL PROJECT!

Could anybody suggest and tell me the best workflow to achieve maximum quality from cameras of the phantom and osmo. I mean the workflow. For example:

PHANTOM 4 >>>4K>>>STRAIGHT TO FCPX or

PHANTOM 4 >>>4K>>>APPLE PRO RES HQ 4K>>>FCPX or maybe

PHANTOM 4 >>>4K>>>1080P A PRORES HQ>>>FCPX 1080PPROJECT

etc....

SO HOW TO ARCHIEVE GOOD SOFTISH LOOK WITHOUT QUALITY LOSS? Some people say that phantom 4k footage looks much better if you downscale it to 1080p and some people think about using only 4k and exporting to 4k project.

Hope anybody can help to understand the world of DJI and dont be shy post links of your examples of videos)

2017-2-17
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I suggest try in AUTO MODE and then use MANUAL MODE and adjust to your liking. One person great color might NOT be another person great color. Practice and experience would yield better results
2017-2-17
Use props
CHUI_ERSH
lvl.1

Russia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-17 13:22
I suggest try in AUTO MODE and then use MANUAL MODE and adjust to your liking. One person great color might NOT be another person great color. Practice and experience would yield better results

THNX but i wrote there that i am not asking about camera settings on the device itself)) i am asking about compression workflow for the final project) for example when i shoot with the RED camera i work with proxies than reconnect to original 4k footage and than make render to final project. when i work with MKII or III first of all i put my original clips to transcoding software f.e. like mpegstreamclip and make it to apple pro res 422 and than put it to the fcpx project or adobe.....

so i am wondering about DEBAYER rules for the dji original footage)
2017-2-18
Use props
CHUI_ERSH
lvl.1

Russia

so nobody could suggest?
2017-2-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

CHUI_ERSH Posted at 2017-2-18 04:49
THNX but i wrote there that i am not asking about camera settings on the device itself)) i am asking about compression workflow for the final project) for example when i shoot with the RED camera i work with proxies than reconnect to original 4k footage and than make render to final project. when i work with MKII or III first of all i put my original clips to transcoding software f.e. like mpegstreamclip and make it to apple pro res 422 and than put it to the fcpx project or adobe.....

so i am wondering about DEBAYER rules for the dji original footage)

The majority of people here either do not know or do not care, they are enthusiasts, not professionals. If you want to make the best of the video footage, then you need a very good editing program, as the camera does not shoot RAW video, therefore there is a limitation as to how much you can adjust the footage in post. Myself, I use Da Vinci Resolve on a fast editing computer, simply because it use professional level video processing. Resolve allows you to import the MP4 footage into 10 bit AVC and you can perform all the editing, grading and effects work in 10 bit before outputing the result to whatever form you like.

2017-2-21
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

In the end, for professional use the raw footage from the Phantoms will be the biggest bottleneck. Perfecting the workflow in post production will probably only yield subtle improvements in quality.

Personally I think proxy editing seems a bit overkill for Phantom footage. It's fairly low bitrate already and it's quick to work with on a good computer. The low bitrate is also why some people suggest shooting in 2,7K instead of 4K on the Phantom 3 and 4 (not Pro). Currently the 2,7K bitrate is more in line with video capture data and produces less compression artifacts like pulsing and shimmering that can be difficult to fix in post production.

I prefer to have a workline at the same resolution as the footage, i.e 2,7K , even if it's initially going to end up in 1080p. You might want a higher resolution version later and that makes the export easier.
2017-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules