Mavic crashed in atti mode
1758 20 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seancrw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83028 ft
United States

I really don't understand how my Mavic isn't covered by warranty.

Data analysis was completed, this is a non-warranty repair:

FLY103

1.   User took off in Atti mode. Unit then attempted to establish GPS connection but failed so unit switched back to Atti mode at t=268s. Video from user shows flight environment was inside a warehouse.
2.   GPS signal was poor indoor. No GPS lock or avoidance in Atti mode,
3.   At t=277.7s, user released forward stick in Atti mode and unit continued to drift forward due to lack of GPS lock
4.   At t=281.9s, relative height =1.53m, unit drifted to wall despite yaw input.

Conclusion: Indoor flight. Crashed in Atti mode.

With line of sight still intact, the Mavic didn't respond to my command.

2017-2-17
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212201 ft
Germany

It shall be possible to switch to ATTI without automatic try the activation of GPS. So that could have been avoided! Please DJI make it possible to chooce ATTI intensionally!
If there is no button for that make it available at the menu instead!

Or, if that is no option for you, make that ATTI stays activated if startet without GPS (Landing for activation of GPS required if started with ATTI)
2017-2-17
Use props
seancrw
lvl.1
United States

Agreed. I was fine flying in ATTI, done it many times with no issues. Now i'm going to be out 330 dollars to get my drone back for something that wasn't my fault. I'm done with dji.
2017-2-17
Use props
Sergey_B
lvl.1

Ukraine

Sorry about your crash

>> unit drifted to wall despite yaw input.

That's a bit unclear. Did DJI mean that there was not enough input to stop drifting or what?
2017-2-17
Use props
seancrw
lvl.1
United States

They did not. And there was plenty of input. Flight log showed 100%
2017-2-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

A warranty repair would only apply if the Mavic didn't work the way it was supposed to, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I'm guessing that you didn't buy Care Refresh, correct? Because I believe that this would have been covered under that if you had.
2017-2-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Sergey_B Posted at 2017-2-17 13:33
Sorry about your crash

"Did DJI mean that there was not enough [yaw] input to stop drifting or what?"

It was drifting / coasting towards a wall; yaw wouldn't have any effect on that. I'm guessing that he was in the process of turning and planning to throttle forward away from the wall but didn't make it in time, but in any case yaw alone won't change the direction the aircraft is moving in when it's being carried by momentum.
2017-2-17
Use props
seancrw
lvl.1
United States

It didn't work correctly. I used throttle with plenty of room to spare from the wall, the Mavic didn't respond at all.

2017-2-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

seancrw Posted at 2017-2-17 13:45
It didn't work correctly. I used throttle with plenty of room to spare from the wall, the Mavic didn't respond at all.

I don't doubt you; I don't know anything about what happened except what you've written here. If you're saying that you did use the throttle but it didn't work then you probably should appeal to DJI. All I know is that what you posted here from DJI says that you released the throttle:

"3.   At t=277.7s, user released forward stick in Atti mode and unit continued to drift forward due to lack of GPS lock"
If that isn't correct then you probably should insist on having them review the flight data again.
2017-2-17
Use props
seancrw
lvl.1
United States

Correct, I used 100% throttle forward with atleast 20 feet to spare from the wall. The Mavic didn't even try to slow down.  I'm in the process of trying to appeal, the people handling their phones don't seem to know much.
2017-2-17
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

seancrw Posted at 2017-2-17 13:51
Correct, I used 100% throttle forward with atleast 20 feet to spare from the wall. The Mavic didn't even try to slow down.  I'm in the process of trying to appeal, the people handling their phones don't seem to know much.

You keep digging yourself in further.

100% throttle towards wall, and wondered why " The Mavic didn't even try to slow down".
User error, suck it up and learn how to fly.
2017-2-17
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

So...there's a bigger issue, I believe. Another case of Mavic drifting in Atti and not responding to stick input....I can't speak for the 100% throttle into the wall or if he meant even with 100% there was no response. Several of us have experienced the Atti drifting and no response to stick input....I was under the impression that you don't need GPS to fly, even indoors......This has been discussed on several threads and I'd be interested in a DJI comment....
2017-2-17
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

From the DJI description it sounds like the drone flight log indicate the drone was pitched forward with the control stick (headed towards the wall). Then user released the forward pitch and applied 100% yaw, which would have done nothing to stop the drift towards the wall, and then the drone smacked the wall.

Flight log would show this clearly enough.  If the DJI description is incorrect post the log and appeal it.
2017-2-17
Use props
MarcStinebaugh
New
Flight distance : 220128 ft
United States

Sergey_B Posted at 2017-2-17 13:33
Sorry about your crash

As did mine.
2017-2-17
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-2-17 16:24
So...there's a bigger issue, I believe. Another case of Mavic drifting in Atti and not responding to stick input....I can't speak for the 100% throttle into the wall or if he meant even with 100% there was no response. Several of us have experienced the Atti drifting and no response to stick input....I was under the impression that you don't need GPS to fly, even indoors......This has been discussed on several threads and I'd be interested in a DJI comment....

You say :  "Another case of Mavic drifting in Atti and not responding to stick input."

Where is this *other case* ?

Oh you mean the one here, that responded as designed?
Are you saying the yaw of the AC did not respond to the yaw inputs on the RC?

You do realise that in Atti with zero GPS ability that your AC will not hold steady and WILL drift?
Particulary when you aim at a wall with full forward input and then expect it to stop on a dime and blame everything else except the obvious.
2017-2-17
Use props
seancrw
lvl.1
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-17 16:12
You keep digging yourself in further.

100% throttle towards wall, and wondered why " The Mavic didn't even try to slow down".

When did I say I used throttle forward TOWARDS the wall.  

Suck it up and pay attention.
2017-2-17
Use props
seancrw
lvl.1
United States

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-17 17:23
From the DJI description it sounds like the drone flight log indicate the drone was pitched forward with the control stick (headed towards the wall). Then user released the forward pitch and applied 100% yaw, which would have done nothing to stop the drift towards the wall, and then the drone smacked the wall.

Flight log would show this clearly enough.  If the DJI description is incorrect post the log and appeal it.

I was under the impression 'yaw' meant the throttle, I was wrong.

I did use yaw to turn the mavic away from the wall and back towards me. I then used the forward throttle, with a solid 20 feet between the mavic and the wall, the mavic didn't respond and kept it's path.  The flight log shows the throttle stick at 100% forward moments before the collision.

I've logged 13 hours on this thing, flown many times indoors in ATTI mode with no issues. Slight drifting, but never losing control.
2017-2-17
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-17 19:37
You say :  "Another case of Mavic drifting in Atti and not responding to stick input."

Where is this *other case* ?

Uhhh..yea... There have been reports of this "issue" reported in this forum and DJI Mavic owners forum on FB. Do a search yourself...it's there. I had this "issue" happen to me too so I know it's real. I'm also not exactly a newby either so when I described the "issue" that's what happened. I pass info along so others may learn.
2017-2-20
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

seancrw Posted at 2017-2-17 13:51

I'm not saying what did or didn't happen here, but for the sake of clarity, learning for all; and hopefully a more positive resolution for any appeal to DJI isn't it better to post that your Mavic didn't respond to a forward throttle input?  For complete clarity?  I think the talk of ATTI and drifting completely muddies the waters.

We all know that the Mavic will go into ATTI when GPS lock is lost.
We all know that the Mavic will drift if it can't apply clever corrective measures based on its knowledge of it drifting (though GPS or VPS).  That's just physics.  You stated as much that you've experienced drifting, and that you've been able to handle it, so ATTI and drifting IMO have zero to do with what you seem to believe your issue was.  No?

Given this, can't we label your opinion of what happened here as a lack of response to a forward throttle input?

If you agree it would definitely help all of us.  There are plenty of people who seem to be freaked out with the very idea that a hovering craft can't stay completely still on its own in all conditions and circumstances without user control.  That doesn't seem to be your case IMO, so if that's your belief too I would maybe re-describe your experience.

Good luck!
2017-2-20
Use props
Airwolf13
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36995 ft
United States

You augured it in.   User error.  "FLY WITH EXTREME CAUTION INDOORS"...duh...I guess you didn't listen eh?
2017-2-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Do you have a case number you can PM me?  I can escalate the case for you.

2017-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules