Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Car charger very slow (practically unusable)
2897 15 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Anyone having problems with their car charger?  I've tested it on 3 vehicles with voltage ratings between 12.8v and 14v (normal for these type of outputs). All test with the engine running of course.

Everything seems fine except that the battery doesn't charge. I mean, the charging lights come one but it stays blinking on the amount of charge it has. My longest drive was for 8 hours with 2 stops. So the longest uninterrupted drive was 3 hours and still no difference in battery level.

According to the specs the car charger delivers more amps so to me it's a mystery!
2017-2-17
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Yes I had same problem recently, car was idling for 30 mins no charge went into battery at all, I then started driving and after about 2 minutes it started to charge.
However the week before it charged absolutely fine with car just idling.

I'll try another test this weekend

2017-2-17
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

I was a bit concerned as seen a couple comments about car chargers not working.

So went out this evening to a few places and kept the 3 batteries plugged into the hub and over an hour and half charged up 2 batteries. Not much help unfortunately but my experience.
2017-2-17
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212201 ft
Germany

The car charger is way too protective to the car-battery. Good for the car but bad for charging the mavics batteries.
If the Voltage is not stable and above 13V it will not charge. Even short drops in voltage stops charging, even if the LED indicates green.
Even if the engine is on, but idle, there is often not enough voltage than. Thats not a defect, but restrictive adjustment by DJI.

Therefore you can't use the car charger with a 12V lead-gel-type of battery also.
2017-2-18
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

From what I have read, the car charger requires a healthy voltage and a strong current. If one of the two does not deliver as expected, the car charger won't charge. So far I had no issues with the cars I have tested with. Three cars in which the charger does not work might tell us that your charger is a bit over-sensitive to what voltage and current it expects.
2017-2-18
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
  • >>>
Suriname

Thanks for all the input guys. From what I've been reading here and comparing to my voltage readings, the protection prevents the current from reaching the battery.

I'll try a charge again at night bc my cars voltage drops to about 13.2-13.6v with the headlights on. Secondly I'll also try and bypass the thermal protection in the plug. I'll post back if I notice any difference.
2017-2-18
Use props
tellus1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105551 ft
Australia

I noticed this the other weekend also while camping. Going to test again the car charger. Ive also got a 2nd battery setup which it seemed to only charge off
2017-2-18
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

I'm in a warm climate, and my truck has dual batteries.  Charging battery took a tad longer compared to wall charger, but not more than 10 min difference
2017-2-18
Use props
alloffroad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6339409 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have the same issue, have a touring truck with 3 batteries and the car charger will only work when driving which renders the whole thing useless, every other device I charge without any problems from my car
2017-2-18
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
  • >>>
Suriname

I've tested the carger in my new 2016 truck. It charges fine, even faster compared to the wall charger. So it definitely seems as the charger is way too sensitive to irregularities. One thing I've noticed is that the green led on the charger block stays on when charging correctly, but blinks when the battery doesn't charge (even though the battery leds light up like its charging). I still hope I can get it to work in my older car, that's the one I usually drive to work. The other cars it didn't work in was a 2011 kia rio rental car and a pre 2000 toyota corolla. I'll post back as soon as I've got new info.
2017-2-19
Use props
Aerial Gopher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331906 ft
Canada

Of the people who had issues with car idle and no charge on mavic battery, you may want to look into a new alternator.  Reason being is that at idle it will not create energy, but when you move ( Ie faster engine RPM, the alternator starts charging, which in turn increases the voltage higher, ie 14.5 Volts, and the mavic charger is happy somewhere at or above 13 volts.

Still surprised how many people talk about this issue with the mavic charger...  and how many threads there are about it.  Simple searches solve a lot.
2017-4-17
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Because it would have to be the only car charger of any brand I have ever seen that will not charge from  battery without the engine running!  I come from a long time RC plane background and all my gear is charged from large deep cycle batteries at the field - not having the ability to charge while at the flying field is ridiculous. All my chargers have low batt cutoff, but a fully charged 12v lead acid battery is approx 12.6~12.7 volts - not in excess of 13v.  Having said that I have not even tried my car charger yet (came in the pack), but now I may have to look at alternatives.

Very silly design, no other way to look at it.
2017-4-17
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Actually can you get just the charge lead? I have several Lipo balance chargers that could easily charge these and run perfectly down to 11.5v supply voltage.
2017-4-17
Use props
JoeSlasher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1833829 ft
United States

I have the same issue you are experiencing with the Mavic Pro Car Charger not charging with the vehicle off.  The input voltage drops to around 12.5 volts on my car with the engine off.  The cutoff on my car charger is somewhere around 12.6 volts where the status light begins to blink and eventually turn off.  I plan on contacting DJI to see what options they offer.
2017-5-15
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

In my truck, I was surprised how fast it charged the battery though I was in motion at the time.  
2017-5-15
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

For Those who are having problems with there car charger not charging while the car is running and at Idle , Try to turn off the daytime running lights and the radio
it decreases the drain on the car battery while the alternator increases it's output --- this may just be enough extra voltage to solve your charging issues
FlySafe-FlyFree
2017-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules