Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First post & edited video & workflow question
1016 10 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
garyphayes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27840676 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hey - great forum. Lurked and found some great info. Thanks

Here is a video I edited a couple of nights ago from a single 15 minute flight, shot in 4k, 24fps, D-Cinelike and style -1,-1,-1.

I wanted to keep it in 4k for upload but still working through my workflow and it ended up being a 1080 mp4 in the end for YouTube. My issue is working on the 4k Mavic files. Obviously 4k mp4 and I have been converting them to massive ProRez 422 files and then editing, grading in Final Cut on an old macpro. Finally the resultant massive 422 file I convert down to web sharing friendly mp4. (my other workflow is converting the original 4k files down to a 1080 editing stream, but that is just wasting the original resolution)...

So my question is really - is there a way of working on the original Mavic 4k files to avoid a conversion step? Is that just a case of a top end machine or can you work on proxies and conform just for the final conversion out of the editing software?

Any help beyond buy a $10k computer, welcome

2017-2-17
Use props
ClancyO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296053 ft
United States

Great shots! The one @ 2:00 is awesome!  I edit in Premiere Pro, 4K the whole time.  I just turn down the playback resolution and deal with the slowness.
2017-2-18
Use props
VVs7gxF8qEs5
lvl.1
Germany

I usually chop the interesting parts down into small clips and render them out individually and convert them then into a more editing-friendly formats (ProRez etc.).

That way I dont get gigantic filesizes.
But I don't think there is any good way to skip the conversion beyond a real beast of a computer or using lower resolutions.
2017-2-18
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

VVs7gxF8qEs5 Posted at 2017-2-18 12:47
I usually chop the interesting parts down into small clips and render them out individually and convert them then into a more editing-friendly formats (ProRez etc.).

That way I dont get gigantic filesizes.

Fantastic Ws. Given I generally use on average 10s clips from long flights this is the best option I think. Viewing the clips smoothly while selecting segments is then another matter But VLC does a good job... Cheers
2017-2-18
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Awesome work
2017-2-18
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Cheers Hippoz
2017-2-22
Use props
Peut
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1761181 ft
Netherlands

I tend to avoid as much recoding and rendering steps so I will get the best results. I use the original 4K files from the Mavic and edit in Premiere Pro.
The information on this page pointed me in the right direction: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171
2017-2-22
Use props
SkySailorMan
First Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

Nice job there. I don't have a ton of computing power, so I import to FCPX as proxy only, edit and grade entirely in proxy. When finished, I transcode to optimized media and export the file in whatever size/format that I need. [Not being extremely well-versed in FCPX, I'm wondering if converting to optimized media as the last step prior to exporting is even really necessary.]
2017-2-22
Use props
Turkk71
lvl.2
United States

I look forward to hearing from other FCPX users.  I am leaving my media in place and not checking either transcoding box, working the edit then exporting to whatever media format is called for.  I have been trying to think this problem through myself as I am new to FCPX.  I can say that I am not having any issues with my mid-2015 15inch MBP, base model handling the files during the edit.  
2017-2-22
Use props
Turkk71
lvl.2
United States

Stunning work by the other matter.  Really nicely done.
2017-2-22
Use props
Craig540
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1292339 ft
  • >>>
United States

My first Night video.
We get many sky's like this after a good rain, I was a little late getting out there in front of my house and it was just pass sunset and really dark outside.
The shot is looking towards March Air Reserve Base so I am very limited in what i can do safely . I call them before I fly and limited to 100'.
The clip was edited in Adobe Premiere Pro with no color grading at all. Not sure was the color settings were on the Mavic but it was my second flight and i had never been in those settings so what ever the standard is for sure.

2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules