Uncontrolled Ascent to 1230ft during RTH
1634 14 2017-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A-Snake
lvl.1
United States

On my second flight today, with battery remaining of over 33% I selected RTH. The Mavic  slowly began to fly home. It then began to climb and climb. I tried to cancel the RTH and fly it back but it would not respond, instead it kept climbing to above 1230 ft. VERY SCARY. It finally started to respond to my descend imput. It finally landed very close to the start point with 9% of battery remaining. Here is the flight log
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/OOV8LH3TJZPXK6OK5WCC/

I double checked my setting and found my RTH height is 40m, my max height is 120m, my max distance is 500m. I sent an email to support.us@dji.com Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

BTW, the Mavic Pro Fly More was purchased on Feb 2, 2017 and shipped on Feb. 3, 2017.

2017-2-18
Use props
Genecidal
lvl.1

Australia

I had this happen once. R the made the drone climb above max to 170m before I took over and landed. 2 possible reasons 1. Front sensors detected sun as obstacle and tried to go over it.... 2. Forgot to cycle power after firmware update...
2017-2-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

No obstacle warnings? If not, it sounds like it could be an extreme case of RTH ignoring the set RTH altitude. I started a thread about it here: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=75543
2017-2-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

No obstacle warnings? If not, it sounds like it could be an extreme case of RTH ignoring the set RTH altitude. I started a thread about it here: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=75543 Although I've never had a problem cancelling the RTH. What method/button did you use to try to cancel it? I always just hit the Pause button.

What firmware are you using? The issue is supposed to be fixed with the new firmware v01.03.0400
2017-2-18
Use props
A-Snake
lvl.1
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-18 21:39
No obstacle warnings? If not, it sounds like it could be an extreme case of RTH ignoring the set RTH altitude. I started a thread about it here: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=75543 Although I've never had a problem cancelling the RTH. What method/button did you use to try to cancel it? I always just hit the Pause button.

What firmware are you using? The issue is supposed to be fixed with the new firmware v01.03.0400

I have not update to v01.03.0400  as yet. I just received the Mavic the second week of February. I need to record my settings before I update as I believe the update FW will 'default' all the settings. I watched a lot of videos to determine the best gimble and photo settings ;)

I tried to cancel the RTH on the screen, I didn't hit any button.
2017-2-18
Use props
A-Snake
lvl.1
United States

Genecidal Posted at 2017-2-18 20:43
I had this happen once. R the made the drone climb above max to 170m before I took over and landed. 2 possible reasons 1. Front sensors detected sun as obstacle and tried to go over it.... 2. Forgot to cycle power after firmware update...

Interesting idea. I don't recall any obstacle warnings, but it was about 5:00pm and the Mavic had to travel in a westerly direction to go home. It was sunny and it would be heading directly toward the sun.  
2017-2-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

You might just enter a link to those logs, thank you..
2017-2-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

A-Snake Posted at 2017-2-18 22:19
Interesting idea. I don't recall any obstacle warnings, but it was about 5:00pm and the Mavic had to travel in a westerly direction to go home. It was sunny and it would be heading directly toward the sun.

You can play your flight back on the dji go app , it will tell you if you had any OA warnings.
2017-2-18
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

I can see in the logs you had a heading of 210 (SSW) immediately prior to hitting RTH.  As soon as you hit RTH the mavic turned 33 degrees clockwise or westward to face the homepoint. It remained facing  243 or WSW for the next 5.5 minutes until ~ 10 seconds prior to landing.   An unfortunate relative position of the drone to home point occurred as this WSW heading was never visited in the flight up until you hit RTH.

RTH turn to Sun

RTH turn to Sun
2017-2-19
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

I've made it a habit to keep the OA sensors disabled at all times unless I'm in a situation (Like under tree cover flying in woods) where it may be a benefit.  Way too many instances being reported of it causing issues due to lighting. Also, might not hurt to do a calibration on the sensors if you have a decent sized monitor to work with (24" to 40").  Just make sure you keep the aircraft centered as the directions show. I've seen a few youtube vids where the operator was moving the Mavic around rather than rotating it which I'm pretty sure will result in a lousy calibration.

I calibrated the OA sensors on mine after some tests with the Mavic showed the OA range readings were skewed to one side.  Afterwards calibration they are dead on, false positives are down and it seems to pick up smaller obstacles like even small tree branches better.
2017-2-19
Use props
A-Snake
lvl.1
United States

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/y ... geyx9ZLgSQ&sm=1

This is a link to my uploaded RC files.
2017-2-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Must have been scary, indeed! If this happens again, try to RC's hardware RTH and Pause Flight buttons, maybe there's a bug in the app that ignores the software RTH button action during this condition -- hitting the RTH button a second time cancels RTH, Pause stops and hovers.
2017-2-19
Use props
ClancyO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296053 ft
United States

Any video from 1230ft? I bet it was a cool view.
2017-2-19
Use props
A-Snake
lvl.1
United States

ClancyO Posted at 2017-2-19 08:12
Any video from 1230ft? I bet it was a cool view.

Was not filming at the time.
BTW I added flight data from the Mavic FLY023.dat to Dropbox link. I think I picked the correct file.
2017-2-19
Use props
A-Snake
lvl.1
United States

A-Snake Posted at 2017-2-19 08:14
Was not filming at the time.
BTW I added flight data from the Mavic FLY023.dat to Dropbox link. I think I picked the correct file.

I just added FLY022.dat to the dropbox link  as that was the first section of the flight.
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules