Post crash, pre-flight Inspection
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
greg.klein
lvl.1

United States

I have been checking this site daily since I got my P2V+ V3.0 in early December.  I am very impressed with the wealth of knowledge that many of the forum members exhibit.  I would like to tap into that brain trust, and see what the experts have to say.

Yesterday I had my first crash; it was completely my fault.  I was spending too much time looking at the video feed, and not enough time looking at the Phantom... until it was too late.  I had flown into the branches of a tree.  For a moment the Phantom was tangled up in some of the small, twig like branches, which did quite a number on the propellers.  The Phantom then fell about 25 feet and landed in the street.  I immediately shut the motors down.  Upon impact with the street the small white cover on the compass popped off.

I took everything back inside, and looked it over very carefully.  The compass internals did not appear to have any physical damage.  I did find a small scratch / dent on the bottom of the camera.  

I powered everything up (RC, then Extender, finally the Phantom itself), connected my iPhone, and started the DJI Vision app.  The DJI VI cision screen showed "Compass Error, Maintenance Required.  I shut everything off and carefully snapped the compass cover back on. I calibrated the RC, and then the Phantom.  I then did a basic IMU calibration.  

I powered everything back up, and the Compass Error was gone.  I started the motors, they all looked and sounded fine.  The gimbal seemed to be working; it compensated as I manually pitched and tilted the Phantom.  The camera tilt wheel operated as it should.  I was able to take pictures and videos which looked good on my computer screen.  I connected to my computer and did an advanced IMU calibration.

Now my question:  Is there anything else I should do, or check, before I take it outside for a flight?

Thanks in advance for responding.
2015-2-21
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

In the words of Charlie Brown and George of the Jungle. Watch out for that tree!!!
2015-2-21
Use props
Ploug
lvl.2

Denmark

if you sense everything is okay, then take her out for a spin or two thats the only way you find out if it works, but keep it close to you in the beginning
2015-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules