Finally got to fly - A little fear a good thing
925 3 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Teesquar
lvl.1

United States

Waited for about a week for the weather to cooperate (60s mid-February in Northeast Ohio??? I'll take it) and headed out to behind a local middle school for an early morning shake-down flight. Latest firmware and updates all around and no problems on a single battery flight. Was going to stop at a misty soccer fields complex, as it was empty, but decided not to. Didn't want to push it as I'm a first time quad operator and I wanted to tweak some gimbal, etc. settings.
Leads to the "little fear" part. Nothing bad happened and no scares, just very wary of my $1200 (Fly More) investment.
While waiting for the delivery and subsequant chance to fly I was like a sponge soaking up the forum posts and instructional videos. I also read/watched the accident stuff, too. I was going to try like Hell not to become another crash story due to me screwing up. Wanted to be ready if any of the tech issues popped up, too. So I'm taking it very sloooow.
My first flight was over the pavement area of the school, only, with a constant visual on the MP. Took it up to 40 meters, pivoted, moved around a little and shot some vid. There is a football field/track directly adjacent, but that will be for another flight. Shot a couple videos with those settings on automatic. Manual mode and adjustments and filters will come later. I did not want any distractions.
I know there are a lot of veteran quads operators out there that are able to take their MP 3000M out at 100M right out of the box, while trying all the bells and whistles, but I'm going in baby steps. A few years back I built a powered RC balsa wood glider with a 2M wingspan. First flight out after 10 minutes of flying I augered it because I got too cute ... hey, I can fly MS Flight sim with no problems, so the glider will be no issue. Wrong ... wood shards.
A little at a time so that I can put out a vid like some of you pros.
2017-2-19
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Need more posts like this. Read, watched, listened and then took the the first flight....good for you, enjoy your Mavic!
2017-2-19
Use props
Nakhwayusu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263737 ft
United States

I got to 3000ft today.  At first I was scared of 500ft but man... what a thrill it is.  
2017-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Just do things at your own pace, flying out 1000m and up 100m is easy stuff , learning to correctly fly is what it's all about.

A good exercise for might be try to fly the Mavic as much as you can with its back side facing you. Many make the mistake of thinking you need the Mavic facing you but when you do this you then have to remember if you want to go right you have to push stick to the left and so on, it's a good little exercise, give it a try you will see what I mean..

Your Mavic moves at the same speed sideways and reverse as it does forward, you don't need to make big turn about to fly the Mavic back to where it started.
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules