Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Yaw drift
123Next >
17678 96 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nah....mine does both types too.   Up in the air it drifts slowly after I stop intentional rotation.  Somtimes it goes right, sometimes it goes left, but it usually slows or stops eventually.   Given that the drift direction seems to relate to the direction it's pointing when I stop intentional rotation, I think it's the wind (unless my compass is actually bad.  The interference readings when I take off are usually single digits to <20).   The gimbal drift on the ground is pretty consistent too...for me always to the left.   For the record, I've cal'd my IMU, ACCEL and Compass many times, and the IMU and ACCEL cal numbers are always .000 to .002, and as I said above, my compass cal numbers are single digits to <20 when I take off.  

Frankly, after owning the Mavic now since July, I'm pretty sick of this bird and it's gimbal issues - between the drift and horizon tilt, I'm always annoyed.   Add that to DJI's horrible Android app support (still no Quickshots a month after they were added to the firmware) and the potential privacy issues, I'd really like to be done with DJI.   I've been online for weeks trying to find SOMEBODY else to take my money, but unfortunately DJI still has the edge.  Nobody has a compelling replacement for me yet.   Hopefully that will change soon.

LP
2017-10-8
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-27 14:16
I saw this on my stationary, non-flying Mavic recently while checking out some settings in my living room. Thought I was hallucinating. ;)

It eventually stopped moving -- I've been playing with gimbal pitch speed, smoothness, and follow modes so chalked it up to those changes and haven't investigated further.

Mine does the same, both stationary and while hovering. I did not change any gimbal settings.

This looks like gimbal slowly returning to its neutral position after it finishes performing a compensation move during actual movement of the drone.

PS: for some reason, though, it always seem to drift from right to left.
2017-10-8
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Can DJI give an answer about this?
2017-10-8
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Mines done it since day 1 through all firmware updates,  a factory reset and numerous calibrations.  Ive also tried changing out props in case an imbalance there was causing it.  Its not wind related either, does it in 2mph up to 20mph.  
The log files show no controller input being applied.
It doesnt always do it either, even on the same flight sometimes it'll be perfect and 30 seconds later after a bit more flying it'll drift.
2017-10-9
Use props
daishi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106325 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I still think it´s strange that some Mavics seem to drift and others don't.
I could swear it is not a hardware problem and started around firmware .400...
So upgrading to the latest firmware does not help? I am still at .700.
2017-10-10
Use props
Marc21
New

United States

Hello everyone, this thread has a ton of relevant information from customers-thanks for sharing. I'm surprised NOT ONE Mod/rep has chimed in on this issue. This is not the only post i've come across and obviously more than a handful of people have the same problem. I recently purchased this unit and it hasn't been a week yet and my drone is experiencing this exact issue. Anger and frustration are just a few words that sum up my feelings. I too, have done many of the things everyone has mentioned. (with the exception of the magnet method) Everything online leads to a dead end so I guess sending in for a repair is the only solution?

I wish I could bring something to the table other than gripes and complaints. (it had potential)
2017-10-14
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

my MP does this too.....
2017-10-14
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is quite common on the Mavic - especially in stronger winds. Try refreshing the firmware
2017-10-14
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

I've done everything to remedy this "problem" - all to no avail.....

Even this morning, literally no wind - it still slowly moved right to left
2017-10-15
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

This problem has been haunting me.   I'm trying to figure out what might cause it...because I have no intentions of sending my Mavic back to DJI only to risk getting one with new problems.   My drift seems to change directions based on which way the Mavic is pointed - and it happens mostly right after a rotational adjustment, and in the opposite direction.  Most times it settles out and stops drifting in 15-30 seconds.   My initial thought was that it was caused by the wind, because it only happens about maybe 75% of the time, and only when high.   If sitting below about 50 feet, it's pretty darn stable.   I've recal'd the compass, IMUs and visual sensors multiple times.  

What are the likely causes? Is it just the wind?  Does my compass need degaussing?   IMU calibration issue?   I calibrate my IMU on a table that is as level as I can get it.   Does it need to be 100% perfect?   After a cal, my accel and gyro readings all bounce between 0.000 and maybe 0.004.     I calibrate the compass in an open field with no metal nearby, and the interference readings are usually below 20.

Any suggestions that I can do myself?
LP
2017-11-8
Use props
Iversonmatthew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 505889 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah this drift has got me too. Mine has a pretty good drift to the right. I've done everything I know how to do. Calibrated everything like a dozen times. I'm hoping DJI has a firmware fix for this.
2017-11-13
Use props
H4RDCORE
lvl.2
Hungary

Mine does this too. I just received a replace unit, because the previous one was bricked during firmware upgrade. DJI, please do something!
2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

H4RDCORE Posted at 2017-11-16 03:28
Mine does this too. I just received a replace unit, because the previous one was bricked during firmware upgrade. DJI, please do something!

Just to verify, did you run the latest firmware for the Mavic? Please check and upgrade it. Besides, did the drone's orientation also change when you checked the flight records?
If it does, both the gimbal and the drone drifted. It might possibly be the interference of the compass, try to fly it in another place, make sure that you have calibrated IMU and compass and please fly a bit higher, avoid testing when there is a heavy wind, make sure the props are not damaged. If the problem still persists, and there is no crash damage and hard landing before, please export the flight data of the drone and upload it to Dropbox, name the drone's firmware version, we will help to check. Thanks.

2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Iversonmatthew Posted at 2017-11-13 16:20
Yeah this drift has got me too. Mine has a pretty good drift to the right. I've done everything I know how to do. Calibrated everything like a dozen times. I'm hoping DJI has a firmware fix for this.

Hi there, please refer to my answer on 53#, try to calibrate the IMU and compass, make sure the fine flight environment. If it doesn't help, please help to export the data, send it to Dropbox and provide me the link. Thanks a lot.
2017-11-16
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

I have the same issue, i'm going to try calibrating and fly again. If it won't help i'll export my logs as well, just to give as much data to analyze as can be.
It has already ruined some long exposure shots for me...
2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi all, please refer to my answers on 53# and 54#. See if it helps, and please give me some feedback on it. Appreciate it.
2017-11-16
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

The new MPP does that as well, So i guess it's not only the Pro
2017-11-16
Use props
H4RDCORE
lvl.2
Hungary

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-16 03:45
Just to verify, did you run the latest firmware for the Mavic? Please check and upgrade it. Besides, did the drone's orientation also change when you checked the flight records?
If it does, both the gimbal and the drone drifted. It might possibly be the interference of the compass, try to fly it in another place, make sure that you have calibrated IMU and compass and please fly a bit higher, avoid testing when there is a heavy wind, make sure the props are not damaged. If the problem still persists, and there is no crash damage and hard landing before, please export the flight data of the drone and upload it to Dropbox, name the drone's firmware version, we will help to check. Thanks.

I've received the drone with the latest FW, as always thank you for your help Thor, I will try everything and I will report back to you!
2017-11-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

H4RDCORE Posted at 2017-11-16 06:36
I've received the drone with the latest FW, as always thank you for your help Thor, I will try everything and I will report back to you!

Thank you so much for your cooperation, and I am looking forward to your feedback. If you need to send the data to me at the end, could you please also name the firmware info of the drone? Thanks again.
2017-11-21
Use props
Iversonmatthew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 505889 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-21 01:36
Thank you so much for your cooperation, and I am looking forward to your feedback. If you need to send the data to me at the end, could you please also name the firmware info of the drone? Thanks again.

Ended up having to send mine for it's sideways flying. Walked through it all with phone support. I wish I didn't have to.. having withdraw from it now.
2017-11-22
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

let us know if your replacement does the same thing or fix
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Iversonmatthew Posted at 2017-11-22 12:04
Ended up having to send mine for it's sideways flying. Walked through it all with phone support. I wish I didn't have to.. having withdraw from it now.

Matthew, if you have sent it back, would you please provide me with your case number? I will help to keep an eye on it.
2017-11-29
Use props
Irishbrewer74
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119557 ft
United States

Bumping this thread... I have the same issue with the gimble slowly yawing after an intentional aircraft turn, and it is really annoying while filming.  I make a slow yaw, stopping with my next intended subject dead center so I can fly strait to it. But then the camera continues to drift and i end up having to counter-yaw in an effort to fly strait, which ultimately looks like crap as I zigzag to the point of interest.  I've gotten to a point I film my turn, then wait 30 seconds for the camera to catch up make my strait flight and then cut all the waiting out in post.  This is eating up battery time and also requiring to cut a shot instead of a nice fluid run.

I've searched quite a number of threads on this and no one seems to ever follow up.  Has anyone ever found a solution?
2018-1-9
Use props
Alex Dawson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1787395 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Irishbrewer74 Posted at 2018-1-9 12:49
Bumping this thread... I have the same issue with the gimble slowly yawing after an intentional aircraft turn, and it is really annoying while filming.  I make a slow yaw, stopping with my next intended subject dead center so I can fly strait to it. But then the camera continues to drift and i end up having to counter-yaw in an effort to fly strait, which ultimately looks like crap as I zigzag to the point of interest.  I've gotten to a point I film my turn, then wait 30 seconds for the camera to catch up make my strait flight and then cut all the waiting out in post.  This is eating up battery time and also requiring to cut a shot instead of a nice fluid run.

I've searched quite a number of threads on this and no one seems to ever follow up.  Has anyone ever found a solution?

Hi!
It happens om ny Inspire 1 & 2 also and it makes the shots useless. Can DJI please solve this issue!

kind regards // Alex
2018-1-21
Use props
Strobing_NYC_Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

Still going strong here as well.
2018-2-10
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yeah.... Me too.  No solution.  One of the many reasons I hate my MP gimbal.

LP
2018-2-10
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

I thought I was the only one! I've gone through FIVE Mavic Pro replacements (2 refurbs, 3 new), trying to get this fixed. Finally, just this week, DJI washed their hands of it, saying that this is normal behavior for a Mavic Pro! I had no idea this had been going on for over a YEAR! DJI acted like my case was unusual.

Here's my 3 page thread, New (Replacement) Mavic Pro Rotates/Slides with No Controller Input. Lots of video and other information presented to backup this problem.

I'm also pretty Disgusted with DJI Support for their handling of this matter... they told me they would test-fly my current aircraft before it left the DJI Cerritos facility, but clearly they did not. They also tried to bury my threads in the Service forum, saying that's where they belonged... funny, how this thread is still in the Mavic Pro forum! They also embedded one thread inside another, just to make it disappear without actually deleting it.
2018-2-10
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Guys, you sure it's gimbal thing?
I tried rapid yaw with Spark which certainly does not have 3-rd gimbal axis and it takes a while till it settles still after that. Slow yawing without any yaw commanded for at least 5, 6 seconds if not longer. I guess it could be softer yaw gain setting which is actually a good thing when filming.
2018-2-11
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-11 00:19
Guys, you sure it's gimbal thing?
I tried rapid yaw with Spark which certainly does not have 3-rd gimbal axis and it takes a while till it settles still after that. Slow yawing without any yaw commanded for at least 5, 6 seconds if not longer. I guess it could be softer yaw gain setting which is actually a good thing when filming.

It's not a gimbal problem, the aircraft rotates.
When it is sent out in a straight line, the aircraft drifts - one of my Mavics would drift 200 yards to the right for every 300 yards it flew .
2018-2-11
Use props
Strobing_NYC_Spark
lvl.4
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-2-11 01:21
When it is sent out in a straight line, the aircraft drifts - one of my Mavics would drift 200 yards to the right for every 300 yards it flew .

I would say it's a software issue, it happens both with the Spark and the Mavic. On the Spark I really believe it's the stabilization at work since it's a 2 axis gimble and the sensor does the work. I believe it's built into the software to "smooth" images out but always bites us in the a$$
2018-2-14
Use props
Strobing_NYC_Spark
lvl.4
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-2-11 01:21

I would say it's a software issue, it happens both with the Spark and the Mavic. On the Spark I really believe it's the stabilization at work since it's a 2 axis gimble and the sensor does the work. I believe it's built into the software to "smooth" images out but always bites us in the a$$
2018-2-14
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

Strobing_NYC_Spark Posted at 2018-2-14 18:41
I would say it's a software issue, it happens both with the Spark and the Mavic. On the Spark I really believe it's the stabilization at work since it's a 2 axis gimble and the sensor does the work. I believe it's built into the software to "smooth" images out but always bites us in the a$$

I got to fly a friend's Mavic Pro while he flew mine, so same place, same time, same conditions... They were stacked, one on top of the other, his was 6 feet higher in altitude.

We flew straight forward, and my Mavic Pro (as controlled by my friend) drifted off to the right, while his Mavic Pro (as flown by me) flew straight.

We both tested both Mavic's under braking. Regardless of who was flying it, when braking after flying forward, my Mavic Pro deviated 90-degrees to the right and drifted 10 or more yards. When braking after flying backwards, my Mavic Pro deviated 90-degrees to the left, and drifted 10 or more yards. My friend's Mavic Pro simply came to a halt in  a straight line, without any deviation.

The consensus was that my Mavic Pro is a lot less stable in a hover, and in motion, than my friend's Mavic Pro. I noticed the decrease in stability on my original Mavic Pro (which I crashed, the current Mavic Pro is a NEW replacement) after a firmware update, possibly the one after 1.04.0100. At the time, I put the decrease in stability down to my imagination.

My friend's Mavic Pro is on Firmware 1.04.0100.  Mine is on 1.04.0200.

I'm using a 2017, 10" iPad Pro. He's using an iPad Mini 4 from a few years ago. The video I was receiving was fairly choppy. I put it down to the fact that we were standing quite close to each other at times, and my video receiver was probably being swamped by his transmitter. However, his video reception was rock solid, with no choppiness whatsoever, even when we was standing next to each other.  I'n my own test flights, I've noticed that my video is not as smooth as it used to be.
2018-2-14
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like us 'Beta testers' will need to do some stringent tests with the control software to get to the bottom of this. ;-)
2018-2-24
Use props
kwad vision
lvl.1

United States

I am having very pronounced Yaw Drift to the right on my Mavic AIR. It is usually right after take off and it seems to disappear after I yaw the opposite direction. Gimbal and Compass calibrations multiple times has not fixed anything. Firmware is most recent. Sucks. BAD BAD.
2018-2-26
Use props
ForceRecon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 165331 ft
United States

I’m having the same issues as everyone else with my Mavic Pro.
Have re-calibrated compas, IMU, gimbal, controller multiple times.
Newest firmware. Drone is only about a week old.
Did some testing today.  Taking off from my back deck and flying West. Altitude around 6’.
Drone would almost drop out of the sky while flying forward. Down to about 1 inch above the snow!
I was able to yank back on the left stick and save it every time. No avoidance warnings at all!
It did this several times to the West.
I then flew it South and it didn’t dive down to ground level. Stayed at close to the same altitude.
I’m getting the same Yaw errors as everyone else. Fly straight forward and the quad drifts to the right( sometimes left).
Come to a stop and it drifts big time to the left or right before hovering.
My guess is it has something to do with the latest firmware for the Mavic. I’m wishing now I would have tested it with the original firmware when it was new instead of following the prompts to update when I first activated the drone!

My buddy has one that he got about 2 weeks before me. It flys perfectly. Not sure if he has updated firmware or not.
I just came from the Spark. Had zero issues with it flying straight. It worked perfect right out of the box!

DJI, fix this BS. It’s almost impossible to get cinematic video, or anything close what we should be getting!
If it wasn’t for the range and battery life , I’m almost wishing I wouldn’t have sold my Spark!
2018-2-26
Use props
RodrigueElHajj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17264 ft
France

I'm having the same issue! Brand new mavic platinum :/ the thing is not stable at all, the gimbal yawing alone and the drift when stopping is very dangerous and worrying.
2018-3-4
Use props
ForceRecon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 165331 ft
United States

Still having this issue.
I've re-calibrated everything possible, multiple,multiple times. It still Drifts/Yaws to the right.
Was re-calibrating gimbal yesterday and after it was finished, I noticed the camera appeared to pointing to the right just a bit, when you are looking straight on at the drone.
I did the recenter gimbal from the app and it still looks off a bit to the right.
Anyone know a way to fix this?
2018-3-7
Use props
beamlord
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112628 ft
Austria

ForceRecon Posted at 2018-2-26 17:22
I’m having the same issues as everyone else with my Mavic Pro.
Have re-calibrated compas, IMU, gimbal, controller multiple times.
Newest firmware. Drone is only about a week old.

I have exact same problem.
My Mavic Pro is relatively new and I did upgrade to latest firmware immediately as I got it. And it hasn't been flying straight.

Same drift to left/right after braking, same drift sideways when trying to fly straight.

Very disappointed, why is DJI support so quiet about this?

2018-3-12
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8477969 ft
United States

I have had the same issue that everyone is describing here and a few additional issues too.

Gimbal/aircraft uncommanded yaw/drift - Sounds like my experience is just like others described here.  I have had to attempt to counter the drift during forward flight to compensate which make most video un-usable when this is happening.
Gimbal glitch/jerk - When turning I frequently encounter a glitch or jerk in the shot.  Initially I thought this was just a dropout between the aircraft and my controller but I verified the glitch/jerk is in the onboard recorded video so it must be the gimbal or aircraft.
Gimbal reset in flight - occasionally I will encounter what appears to be a gimbal reset during flight.  From the image I am seeing it appears as though the gimbal is going through similar motions as it does during the initial power on of the aircraft prior to takeoff.  This makes me think my aircraft is tumbling out of the sky but thankfully this has not yet happened.
“Downward infrared sensor failure land as soon as possible” - This one is unrelated to this thread but I thought I would share anyway.  I received this error the other day.  When I contacted DJI about this and all the issues above they said that was “not normal”.  

This is my 3rd Mavic Pro (1st one was dead on arrival, 2nd was replaced under warranty after almost 6 months of use for unrelated issue)  I dont recall seeing any of the drifting/glitching/resetting type behavior on my previous drone.  I wonder if this could have started happening in some of the more recent firmware updates?   If anybody has a much older firmware load (older than what is available in DJI assistant) I would be curious if they are experiencing the same drifting issues outlined here.

I have contacted DJI and they had me go through the factory reset and firmware refresh as well as Compass/IMU/Gimbal re-calibration process.  I have done all multiple times and within a few minutes of flying I have been able to duplicate the drift and glitchy behavior.  The reset is much less common so I have not flown it enough to really verify if that is/isn’t happening still.  The downward sensor fail was a 1 time thing so there must have been something unique going on.  When I told DJI that the issues were still present they told me I would need to send it in.  I opted to send it for DJI refresh express since I am almost up on my 1 year for DJI refresh and I want my drone back sooner than later.  I will have some checkouts to do when I receive the new/refurb one…
2018-3-14
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-29 02:23
Matthew, if you have sent it back, would you please provide me with your case number? I will help to keep an eye on it.

DJI Thor... When is DJI going to fix this issue for all of us Mavic Pro, Mavic Air and Inspire owners? This has been going on for over a year.
2018-3-20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules