User Guide
1222 15 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3406883 ft
United Kingdom

Is there a more detailed user guide than the one in the download section on the Phantom 4 Pro page, there is very little information in the guide about the P4P..!
There are no camera operation details at all just 2 pages of a very brief overview.
The RC with screen, there is almost no info about the operation and the features within the screen?

Why do DJI always try to shortcut the usermanual, they did the same bad job on the P3P.

2017-2-19
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

No. That's the best manual available for the P4P.
2017-2-19
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It shouldn't be called the user manual, there isn't enough content to warrant this, its like the quick guide+. Why can't they produce a proper working guide for users, imagine buying a 20mp camera from Nikon or Canon and it came with a 2 page guide. Come on DJI technical you can do better than this.
2017-2-19
Use props
taurus35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

There are a few more than 2 pages in the user manual.....69 in fact
User Manual
2017-2-19
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

If you have just paid 1500 for an aerial camera, you should have at least a good appreciation of how a drone works, flies, and generally how to get used to the very easy to use Phantom.  Take my word, try to fly a RC helicopter and see how you get on.  Learn Atti mode, and then the smart flight modes.

Then if your only experience as a "photographer" is behind an iPhone, then do a bit of research into how a real camera works before trying to work out how it flies and RTH and GPS, and, and,and, and then try to work out how focus peaking, histogram, RAW vs JPEG, panoramas HDR.  And that is just for still image capture.  Think about video, fps, nd filters, video editing, colour grading.  The list of things to understand before you even leave the ground is enormous.  Then resist the temptation to fly amongst trees and other stupid stuff, or try and break the long distance flight record on your second flight.

You have to realise that this is not an easy thing to do,it may take a year or two, not a flight or two.
2017-2-19
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The 2 pages refers to the camera section, there is just no information about operating the camera...!
2017-2-19
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

liningiv Posted at 2017-2-19 12:56
If you have just paid 1500 for an aerial camera, you should have at least a good appreciation of how a drone works, flies, and generally how to get used to the very easy to use Phantom.  Take my word, try to fly a RC helicopter and see how you get on.  Learn Atti mode, and then the smart flight modes.

Then if your only experience as a "photographer" is behind an iPhone, then do a bit of research into how a real camera works before trying to work out how it flies and RTH and GPS, and, and,and, and then try to work out how focus peaking, histogram, RAW vs JPEG, panoramas HDR.  And that is just for still image capture.  Think about video, fps, nd filters, video editing, colour grading.  The list of things to understand before you even leave the ground is enormous.  Then resist the temptation to fly amongst trees and other stupid stuff, or try and break the long distance flight record on your second flight.

So a comprehensive user guide from DJI would be very helpful?
2017-2-19
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans13642d5f, if you have a specific question about something not mentioned in the manual, try searching the forum or create a new thread. I'm sure there is someone here who is able to answer your questions.
2017-2-19
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Phantom Help Posted at 2017-2-19 13:14
fans13642d5f, if you have a specific question about something not mentioned in the manual, try searching the forum or create a new thread. I'm sure there is someone here who is able to answer your questions.

It would be nice just to be able to have a user manual that provides all the functions and user operations of the drone, camera and RC without having to ask for it.
2017-2-19
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

fans13642d5f Posted at 2017-2-19 13:23
It would be nice just to be able to have a user manual that provides all the functions and user operations of the drone, camera and RC without having to ask for it.

I agree.......
2017-2-19
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I guess that a comprehensive guide would stretch to 500 pages, then would need further amendment every time a new firmware is developed.
I have many books on LR, PS, my own DSLRs and they all run into hundreds of pages.  
It is a huge undertaking to write a full manual for all aspects of this very complex machine, particularly as there is a new Phantom about every 6 months, and that would require year another manual.
My advice is to fly, and fly , and fly.  If at any time you don't understand something, then ask a forum such as this.

Or you could start to write one yourself, and make it available to all other NooBies.  See what a mammoth undertaking it is.
2017-2-21
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

liningiv Posted at 2017-2-21 05:16
I guess that a comprehensive guide would stretch to 500 pages, then would need further amendment every time a new firmware is developed.
I have many books on LR, PS, my own DSLRs and they all run into hundreds of pages.  
It is a huge undertaking to write a full manual for all aspects of this very complex machine, particularly as there is a new Phantom about every 6 months, and that would require year another manual.

Why would I want to do DJI's job for them, it doesn't matter how many pages the manual is it just needs to be comprehensive and cover the actual workings of the drone. I'll give you an example I have the P4P+ and there is no instruction on the built in screen, i don't even know how to adjust the sound or brightness because there are no instructions...! I wish people would stop defending DJI and let DJI produce a user manual. From my experience with the P3P it was the same, how do they get away with it....!
2017-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans13642d5f Posted at 2017-2-19 13:23

There are many you tube videos which are very helpful, I do agree with your sentiments, it's pretty poor the manual, it leaves so many questions to be asked, and the answers are not always clear or the same..

Good luck...
2017-2-22
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans13642d5f Posted at 2017-2-22 09:16
Why would I want to do DJI's job for them, it doesn't matter how many pages the manual is it just needs to be comprehensive and cover the actual workings of the drone. I'll give you an example I have the P4P+ and there is no instruction on the built in screen, i don't even know how to adjust the sound or brightness because there are no instructions...! I wish people would stop defending DJI and let DJI produce a user manual. From my experience with the P3P it was the same, how do they get away with it....!

From my experience of P3P & P4P I agree that there is a lack of fully comprehensive user guides to accompany each of the DJI products.  I did not know about the additional P4P+ omissions though.  So forget my previous post.
Happy flying and good videos amigo.
2017-2-23
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-22 09:33
There are many you tube videos which are very helpful, I do agree with your sentiments, it's pretty poor the manual, it leaves so many questions to be asked, and the answers are not always clear or the same..

Good luck...

Thanks, youtube is great but there is so much junk to wade through when you search by subject. I mean just how many 'out of the box' demo's do we need, lol. But yeas it can also give you the answers that DJI can't be bothered to do, lazy marketing.
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe most people replying missed your point. I agree that DJI should provide far more detailed user guides. I've said that since I bought my first Phantom just to have to come here to get basic questions answered. But, I also agree with the other replies that say your best option (unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view) is to use internet searches to compile info that can be used as your guide.
2017-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules