Video in French Alps and the La Plagne ski station
1406 14 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Boenaparte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1089393 ft
Hong Kong

Hi everyone, just wnat to share my first video made with my mavic pro. I got llucky ont he weather, blue sky and beautfill snow mountained with the Montblanc (highest European mountain) in the background.
I hope you like. It was difficult for me to get down to less than 2 minutes as I wanted to keep more footage, but I realized that any longer and I was loosing interest when showing it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJhftYxODas

Best
Charles

2017-2-19
Use props
Boenaparte
lvl.1
Hong Kong

2017-2-19
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

0.02-0.10 is a bit 'blue'. Need to adjust your white balance. Well known problem filming snow and ice (in low light). Love the scenic look!
2017-2-19
Use props
Boenaparte
lvl.1
Hong Kong

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-2-19 22:13
0.02-0.10 is a bit 'blue'. Need to adjust your white balance. Well known problem filming snow and ice (in low light). Love the scenic look!

Thank you NavigatorNL for the comment. What do you recommend to avoid this issue in the futur:

1- use filter
2- change the camera settings
3- change the coloring during the editing?

2017-2-19
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

2 and 3. Take a moderate setting so you can pick it up in post processing. Do some reading about white balance.
2017-2-20
Use props
Sky Lens
lvl.3
Flight distance : 546273 ft
  • >>>
United States

1-ND filter is a must. Maybe be a combo polarizer/ND  (from PolarPro)
2-shoot more and shorter clips. Not an absolute rule some clips can be longer depending on the "wow" factor and the action. But usually shorter is better. I visualize my shots beforehand to be about ten seconds in length. I planned the shot by practicing to the extend possible then position the drone at the beginning of it, hit the record button, fly the shot and stop recording leaving about 3 to 5 seconds on either side of the shot. Rinse and repeat until you have the shot you visualized. By doing this you will develop a discipline to look for shots and conserve precious battery time. It will improve the quality of your footage.
Lastly, shot in early in the morning and late afternoon. (of course in the mountains shadows can be a big problem.
In Post
1-White balance
3-Increase contrast
3-color correct if needed
4-color/grade for look (to taste)
5-shorten clips to only include the best part of each and cut to the music
6-absolutely cut unwanted drone motion (like in the first clip and on some transitions)

Keep at it. You live in a beautiful region.
2017-2-20
Use props
Boenaparte
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Sky Lens Posted at 2017-2-20 10:26
2-shoot more and shorter clips. Not an absolute rule some clips can be longer depending on the "wow" factor and the action. But usually shorter is better. I visualize my shots beforehand to be about ten seconds in length. I planned the shot by practicing to the extend possible then position the drone at the beginning of it, hit the record button, fly the shot and stop recording leaving about 3 to 5 seconds on either side of the shot. Rinse and repeat until you have the shot you visualized. By doing this you will develop a discipline to look for shots and conserve precious battery time. It will improve the quality of your footage.
Lastly, shot in early in the morning and late afternoon. (of course in the mountains shadows can be a big problem.

Sky lens I really appreciate you taking time to explain me all this. I'have just purchased the lenses (solarpro), so i'll share more on that soon (currently in back order).
I have to say while I understand the planning of the shot in advance, for me it's difficult for 2 mains reasons:  
1- I'm too young at this and hence impatient to fly
2- I still learn to understand a bunch because usually my favorite shots/video so far were always by chance and the one I planned well just did not look as exciting from above as I once thought.

That said with more practice will come more patience...and thanks for the feedback (10sec shot is very short indeed) it's much appreciated.
2017-2-20
Use props
Boenaparte
lvl.1
Hong Kong

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-2-20 09:31
2 and 3. Take a moderate setting so you can pick it up in post processing. Doe some reading about white balance.

Thx navigator. Agreed on the white balance I need to understand it much better.
2017-2-20
Use props
ClancyO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296053 ft
United States

Sky Lens Posted at 2017-2-20 10:26

Great advise!
2017-2-21
Use props
Sky Lens
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Boenaparte Posted at 2017-2-20 22:52
Sky lens I really appreciate you taking time to explain me all this. I'have just purchased the lenses (solarpro), so i'll share more on that soon (currently in back order).
I have to say while I understand the planning of the shot in advance, for me it's difficult for 2 mains reasons:  
1- I'm too young at this and hence impatient to fly

Rome was nott built in a day. As long as you want to improve your skill you will do it. Always try to visualize your shots and think of a drone as camera carrying device. You don't need to fly high all the time.Here is a video I shot a while back

2017-2-21
Use props
Sky Lens
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Boenaparte Posted at 2017-2-20 22:54
Thx navigator. Agreed on the white balance I need to understand it much better.

White balance is the process of, in post, telling the computer what part of the image is white. Then the algorithm of the edit software sequences the rest of the colors correctly. In your case you need to make the snow white by removing its  the blue cast And everything g else will fall into place.

As you get more experienced with the camera, you can set the white balance in camera and save time in post.
2017-2-21
Use props
Boenaparte
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Sky Lens Posted at 2017-2-21 07:57
Rome was nott built in a day. As long as you want to improve your skill you will do it. Always try to visualize your shots and think of a drone as camera carrying device. You don't need to fly high all the time.Here is a video I shot a while back

https://vimeo.com/185402437

Man that video is awesome! love the shots and love the color you picked for the overall image , it's a bit old and yet crisp....really nice video. Taking off in 1 month for New Zealand, I hope I ca bring back some nice shots....will post. thx again
2017-3-1
Use props
Sky Lens
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks man. Good luck with on that,trip
2017-3-16
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

Boenaparte Posted at 2017-2-19 21:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJhftYxODas

Very nice! I love seeing all of the little people around the bottom.
2017-3-16
Use props
Boenaparte
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Haneyca Posted at 2017-3-16 19:16
Very nice! I love seeing all of the little people around the bottom.

yes it's nice and I think it gives some dynamic to the video of the mountain
2017-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules