Mavic very slow in forward/backward control as if held in tripod ...
7354 27 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

It wont go forward faster than 3 or 4 miles an hour in normal mode, despite calibrating the IMU, compass and controller. This includes checking that exp, gain and other settings are set as they should be for the mavic and it's gimbal in normal mode. The only mode that works properly is sport mode. This happened after the latest firmware update and flying in tripod mode. The speed it goes forward is slightly greater than tripod mode but not by much.
Because of this problem I've kept all testing very close and low in fear of the slightest breeze taking it away (and just in case sport mode gives up too).

I've uninstalled goapp 4 and reinstalled. I've also tried flying it using the Litchi app but the problem is still there.

I've tried using other modes but it seems the only one that works as it should is sport mode, which is a "hardware" switch on the controller rather than a programmed "mode", which is a worry.
I'm considering doing a factory reset and would like to know whether there is a "best" procedure to follow from anyone who's done this before.

If anyone has any idea as to the problem or can shed some light on the issue I would be very grateful.
2017-2-19
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

First time ive heard this one but I would try a Firmware refresh.
I will give this a go tomorrow by switching to Tripod mode and back to see if I get the same effect.
Also I done a firmware refresh yesterday without any problem.
2017-2-20
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Many thanks Rev for your reply. I should have mentioned this is using Android OS.
2017-2-20
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-20 00:35
Many thanks Rev for your reply. I should have mentioned this is using Android OS.

Could it have something to do with the increased sensibility for the OA with the latest FW update? is this a problem facing the sun or in all directions?
http://forum.dji.com/thread-85763-1-1.html
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-2-20 02:32
Could it have something to do with the increased sensibility for the OA with the latest FW update? is this a problem facing the sun or in all directions?
http://forum.dji.com/thread-85763-1-1.html

Could it have something to do with the increased sensibility for the OA with the latest FW update?

That's a good question. If the OP is flying with OA enabled it might be worthwhile to see if the problem goes away when it's disabled.
2017-2-20
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

I get the same problem, usually right after take off, but will become normal after a few seconds in the air. This started happening after the new update...
2017-2-20
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Good call from all you guys. It could be because i haven't taken it up more than fifteen feet it's not sorting itself out, but this behaviour is out of character compared to the previous hardware installation, if indeed that is an issue. I will try with OA off, but I think I've already tried that; I genuinely can't remember!
2017-2-20
Use props
Keith Unwin
New

United Kingdom

Hi Rich. it sounds like the processor has got itself into what's often called a "fatal embrace" in that the BIOS keeps re-booting. Have you tried powering everything down and leaving the battery disconnected for an hour or so ?
2017-2-21
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

i have the same problem,i did a refresh and even reverted back the firmware but still the same issue,the only way to fix it is to turn of the forward sensors until dji come up with a fix
2017-2-21
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Keith Unwin Posted at 2017-2-21 00:14
Hi Rich. it sounds like the processor has got itself into what's often called a "fatal embrace" in that the BIOS keeps re-booting. Have you tried powering everything down and leaving the battery disconnected for an hour or so ?

Thanks for the tip Keith, it's worth a try and exactly the sort of suggestion I was hoping for.

Edit

Thinking on the Mavic has had it's battery removed for more than an hour but still has the error. However, applying your logic further, could the same problem exist in the controller, whose battery cannot be disconnected.....
2017-2-21
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

bomberuk Posted at 2017-2-21 00:53
i have the same problem,i did a refresh and even reverted back the firmware but still the same issue,the only way to fix it is to turn of the forward sensors until dji come up with a fix

Work commitments haven't allowed me to try the suggestions made by yourself and others; I still need to see whether turning OA off allows for normal control. many thanks bomberuk.
2017-2-21
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It's common sense replies and subjective advice like you guys have given me in this thread that make this forum what it's purpose should be. Thanks to you all, I have identified my problem which specifically was reported by Flybe, Drone flying and bomberUK. It is the optical avoidance system that is causing the pitch controls to have such a low input, contrary to what the exp settings are set to in standard mode. I made the mistake of testing these suggestions with OA disabled, but only in the RTH settings, and not disabled overall. Having disabled OA properly, it now performs as it should in normal mode.
Lildevilx posted that he has a similar problem but that it resolves itself after a short period of time. I haven't been able to get it to resolve itself on my Android os using a Samsung galaxy S6 edge, so it could be my os is different to yours.
I really don't want to leave anyone unnamed in my appreciation of all your contributions and thoughtful advice, so once again many thanks to you all.
I haven't reinstalled the firmware again as I don't see the point now the problem has been identified and the reason has to be due to the recent firmware issue.  I would still be interested if anyone else, and specifically The Rev,  has experienced this anomaly after instigating Tripod mode and then reverting back to standard mode, to find the pitch control has become so limited with OA turned on.
2017-2-21
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-21 10:25
It's common sense replies and subjective advice like you guys have given me in this thread that make this forum what it's purpose should be. Thanks to you all, I have identified my problem which specifically was reported by Flybe, Drone flying and bomberUK. It is the optical avoidance system that is causing the pitch controls to have such a low input, contrary to what the exp settings are set to in standard mode. I made the mistake of testing these suggestions with OA disabled, but only in the RTH settings, and not disabled overall. Having disabled OA properly, it now performs as it should in normal mode.
Lildevilx posted that he has a similar problem but that it resolves itself after a short period of time. I haven't been able to get it to resolve itself on my Android os using a Samsung galaxy S6 edge, so it could be my os is different to yours.
I really don't want to leave anyone unnamed in my appreciation of all your contributions and thoughtful advice, so once again many thanks to you all.

I'm glad to hear you have a workaround that allows you to fly normally again; thanks for the update.
2017-2-21
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-21 10:25

This OA behavior is probably because of the inaccurate reporting of "issues" with VPS (when it's the sun, shadows and/or gimbal tilt angle and lack of situational awareness).  So it's a bummer it's now acting like the P4P in tight quarters.  Glad you have found yourself a "fix" but I'd shy away from any of the intelligent flight modes with no OA (especially Cinematic).

The P4P (with all of its OA turned on) flies uber slow like Tripod Mode since it detects "so much" all-around.  So having sensors all over it makes it dumbed-down unless you're in a field with no trees or at altitude.  I dislike that part of the multi-sensors on the P4P.  Just FYI.  
2017-2-21
Use props
Keith Unwin
New

United Kingdom

Hi Rich, what's clear from all the posts is that you are not sure if the problem lies with the drone or the transmitter. De-powering the drone won't fix the problem if it's the transmitter that's at fault. Removing the battery from the transmitter is a tricky job and also it's possible to connect it the wrong way round which would undoubtedly "fry" the circuit board. Isn't there another drone pilot in your area that could lend you their controller ?
2017-2-21
Use props
Keith Unwin
New

United Kingdom

Hi Rich, you're in luck !!{:4_142:} I've found a drone user who lives just down the road from you in Frodsham. He's a guy (I guess) who calls himself (herself) Nigpd on this forum. He  may know more about the workings of the Mavic than you do. I've PM'd him and asked that he makes contact with you. Let me know how you get on !
2017-2-21
Use props
Keith Unwin
New

United Kingdom

Hi Rich, can you PM me your home address ?
2017-2-22
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United Kingdom

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-20 00:35

I have been looking at this and the Drone seems a lot slower since the latest update and have had to put it into Sport mode to get it home against only a light wind.
I definitely think they have reduced the power with the latest update
2017-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Keith Unwin Posted at 2017-2-21 22:46
Hi Rich, what's clear from all the posts is that you are not sure if the problem lies with the drone or the transmitter. De-powering the drone won't fix the problem if it's the transmitter that's at fault. Removing the battery from the transmitter is a tricky job and also it's possible to connect it the wrong way round which would undoubtedly "fry" the circuit board. Isn't there another drone pilot in your area that could lend you their controller ?

I think reading the post rick39 only wants to disable obstacle avoidance in the app, I could be wrong but that's what it sounds like..
2017-2-22
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

The Rev Posted at 2017-2-22 06:42
I have been looking at this and the Drone seems a lot slower since the latest update and have had to put it into Sport mode to get it home against only a light wind.
I definitely think they have reduced the power with the latest update

"I definitely think they have reduced the power with the latest update"

Or just broke something related to OA, which we know results in reduced speed in some circumstances.
2017-2-22
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Keith Unwin Posted at 2017-2-21 23:07
Hi Rich, you're in luck !! I've found a drone user who lives just down the road from you in Frodsham. He's a guy (I guess) who calls himself (herself) Nigpd on this forum. He  may know more about the workings of the Mavic than you do. I've PM'd him and asked that he makes contact with you. Let me know how you get on !

Hi Keith
Many thanks for your input and sleuthing a fellow drone user in my area. Nigpd and I have made contact through a previous post I made regarding fly zones in my area. I would be extremely reticent to try someone else's controller if it were to become compromised like mine is. However, I'm fairly convinced that the problem isn't to do with the controller, but I wouldn't want to put someone else's property at risk if it were. From the replies so far, it seems I'm not the only one experiencing this problem and it seems fairly clear the latest firmware release is the root of the problem, in my chosen combination of os and device.
My next port of call if I can be bothered (!) is to re-install the now unsupported DJI go 3 app and see if that returns the Mavic back to rude health.

I haven't really got the time to be messing around with this for much longer, as I have a life to lead outside of waffling on about my drone related problems and boring all you guys any longer! Once again, I'm genuinely very grateful to you all for sharing your experiences and offering sound advice. My faith in the Mavic and wonder as to it's amazing technology is still a big buzz to me, and I will continue to enjoy using this special bit of kit with the caution it should be treated with.
Love you guys.
2017-2-22
Use props
JMH300
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Its so funny that your reporting this issue because i had the exact same problem to other day. After updating my drone it was almost like it didn't want to go forward and would only achieve a max speed of 8km/h with OA enabled. I think the problem is the drone thinks theirs an obstacle in front of it at all times hence why it will not increase the speed. I performed various firmware restores and it has appeared to of fixed my problem. Might i suggest making sure that the IMU calibration is done properly on a level surface if it still doesn't work after that then maybe try a firmware reset. I was exactly in the same postion as you as i thought i didnt pay over a thousands pounds to have to disable to OA mode in order to fly correctly. I hope you get the luck i did with fixing it.
2017-2-22
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

Hi All -

adding my input to this thread as well.  

Since after the last update it is 100% clear something has changed with OA.  You will actually get a full on collision avoidance behavior when flying into direct sunlight as seen here (in my case - a stop):

I have also noticed reduced speed, but only when the obstacle sensing arcs are on the DJIG4 app thus indicating the stereo vision sensors are detecting something...it seems as if they are detecting objects at a much longer range now.  Below tree tops in a acre of flying space i am seeing the reduced speed as well now - but again i also see the obstacle sensing arcs on the screen.

Above the tree tops i do not have a reduction in speed, but DO continue to see the false positive obstacle avoidance issues when flying into the sunlight.

dave

2017-2-22
Use props
Keith Unwin
New

United Kingdom

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-22 07:28
Hi Keith
Many thanks for your input and sleuthing a fellow drone user in my area. Nigpd and I have made contact through a previous post I made regarding fly zones in my area. I would be extremely reticent to try someone else's controller if it were to become compromised like mine is. However, I'm fairly convinced that the problem isn't to do with the controller, but I wouldn't want to put someone else's property at risk if it were. From the replies so far, it seems I'm not the only one experiencing this problem and it seems fairly clear the latest firmware release is the the root of the problem, in my chosen combination of os and device.
My next port of call if I can be bothered (!) Is to re-install the now unsupported DJI go 3 app and see if that returns the Mavic back to rude health.

Hi Rich, no problem and no need to apologise ! That's what we're here for Glad we were able to help you find a solution. You're obviously new to this technology so your somewhat "wild" thought processes are understandable. I'm in your area in next month and could go through the basics of the Mavic if you wish. Keep in touch. Keith
2017-2-22
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
United Kingdom

rick39 Posted at 2017-2-22 07:28
Hi Keith
Many thanks for your input and sleuthing a fellow drone user in my area. Nigpd and I have made contact through a previous post I made regarding fly zones in my area. I would be extremely reticent to try someone else's controller if it were to become compromised like mine is. However, I'm fairly convinced that the problem isn't to do with the controller, but I wouldn't want to put someone else's property at risk if it were. From the replies so far, it seems I'm not the only one experiencing this problem and it seems fairly clear the latest firmware release is the root of the problem, in my chosen combination of os and device.
My next port of call if I can be bothered (!) is to re-install the now unsupported DJI go 3 app and see if that returns the Mavic back to rude health.

What part of the UK are you in ?
2017-2-22
Use props
Keith Unwin
New

United Kingdom

Hi Rev, Shropshire. And you ?
2017-2-22
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The latest firmware update seems to have cured the problem, although as JMH300, lildevilx and Flybee have intimated, the OA is more sensitive to low level flight and slows the drone down considerably. However, I find this an asset rather than a hindrance as it was in the previous firmware iteration, and once at a sufficient height, say 15 to 20 feet, the Mavic performs as you would expect.
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules