Argtek Antenna Flight-- 2 Km
1480 25 2017-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

Well, I guess the new antennas are working.

2017-2-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Nice to see another have success ... I reached 2493m maximum and regularly hit over 1800m with my Argtec.

I now have 2.4 and 5.8 boosters to add to get even more range ... just waiting adaptor piece.

Nigel
2017-2-20
Use props
fans4c281ddf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71778 ft
Russia

U did installation by yourself?
2017-2-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

fans4c281ddf Posted at 2017-2-20 10:05

Are you asking me or someone else ?

Boosters - yes of course I am doing it ...

Nigel
2017-2-20
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

i trashed mine got only 700ft. stock was 1500ft. got the dbs and just put the cables on the argtek base and got 3600ft, put argtek back on and just under 700 again.
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

Yes, did install myself. It's really very simple. There are also online tutorials by other users if you want to see how it's done.
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-2-20 14:05
i trashed mine got only 700ft. stock was 1500ft. got the dbs and just put the cables on the argtek base and got 3600ft, put argtek back on and just under 700 again.

There's something seriously wrong if you're only getting those distances. Are you sure you mean feet and not meters. I did over 6500 feet the first time I tried with ARGtek installed.
2017-2-20
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I will do that location again and do what you did and go straight out but on the way back I will follow the road around up the mountain and back to the platform.
That platform has a lot of steel under it and of course there is a broadcast tower just 200m away. Still 2km is a nice range.

I installed my own Argtek then watched Dronesmeg install his at my place when he came to visit.  
As he said pretty easy to install you just need to be careful and remove all the old glue off properly.  
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-20 17:08
I will do that location again and do what you did and go straight out but on the way back I will follow the road around up the mountain and back to the platform.
That platform has a lot of steel under it and of course there is a broadcast tower just 200m away. Still 2km is a nice range.

Up to you. But if it were me, I'd just pick a place nearby. You have plenty of mountain gorges and valleys with clear sight lines to fly out over. The wind was also a little strong in this location as I recall.

Sure, we determined that the steel frame of the observation platform was causing problems. The same happened to you on your flights. I edited out the first few minutes of footage where I was swearing and cursing at having to calibrate the compass again and again. Anyway, finally was able to launch and everything was ok afterwards. The video lag/ image transmission might have been my phone's fault. I should have tried closing and re-opening the App.
2017-2-20
Use props
fans4c281ddf
lvl.3
Russia

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-20 16:31
Yes, did install myself. It's really very simple. There are also online tutorials by other users if you want to see how it's done.

I am very afraid to brake small pin connectors
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

fans4c281ddf Posted at 2017-2-20 19:32
I am very afraid to brake small pin connectors

Don't be. They're not that fragile. It's a very straightforward install. You have 3 connection points: one closest to the antennas, one furthest away and one in the middle. The ARGtek wires are correspondingly short, longer, longest. There's no confusion as to what goes where and the connectors snap in place. I've retained the stock antennas and wires so I can restore the controller to stock if needed.
2017-2-20
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-20 19:08
Up to you. But if it were me, I'd just pick a place nearby. You have plenty of mountain gorges and valleys with clear sight lines to fly out over. The wind was also a little strong in this location as I recall.

Sure, we determined that the steel frame of the observation platform was causing problems. The same happened to you on your flights. I edited out the first few minutes of footage where I was swearing and cursing at having to calibrate the compass again and again. Anyway, finally was able to launch and everything was ok afterwards. The video lag/ image transmission might have been my phone's fault. I should have tried closing and re-opening the App.

Yes I decided not to fly too far and returned.  Anyways it was fun watching you do that flight.  It just goes to show how well these drones perform even in adverse conditions.

Yeah everyday now trying to go to new locations to fly.
2017-2-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I read above about lot of metal and interference ... then calibration of compass.

Seriously - if the unit tells you there is serious interference and you already calibrated compass in a good location - DO NOT RECALIBRATE  - you need to move to a better location.

It normally means powering down all and starting up again to clear the warning when you move. I have concrete slabs near where I takeoff - they have rebars in and sometimes drive my AC nuts ! I move away but have to restart AC to clear the warning.

Nigel
2017-2-20
Use props
fans4c281ddf
lvl.3
Russia

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-20 19:53
Don't be. They're not that fragile. It's a very straightforward install. You have 3 connection points: one closest to the antennas, one furthest away and one in the middle. The ARGtek wires are correspondingly short, longer, longest. There's no confusion as to what goes where and the connectors snap in place. I've retained the stock antennas and wires so I can restore the controller to stock if needed.

Thx for answer. And what about glue all around connectors? Is it hard to move it off? And do I need to restore glue after I change connectors
2017-2-20
Use props
stage_wright
lvl.1
Flight distance : 270518 ft
United States

fans4c281ddf Posted at 2017-2-20 22:59
Thx for answer. And what about glue all around connectors? Is it hard to move it off? And do I need to restore glue after I change connectors

I am also curious.

...for a friend... who happens to have the same name as me. Haha
2017-2-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Pick away at it carefully with metal point or knife point. Pop of the old connectors. Continue to remove as much glue as you can till clear.

Once new pressed on and locked in place - make sure you put in place and press dead vertical ! - you can add a drop of Hot Glue or even a blob of silicon. Its purely there to add security to the connection.

Nigel
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

fans4c281ddf Posted at 2017-2-20 22:59

It wasn't hard for me to remove. I used the tiny head of a screwdriver meant for electronic devices to pick and pull away at the glue. I'm a perfectionist, so I removed all of it, but really, all you need to do is remove enough to be able to remove the stock wiring and install the ARGtek. I didn't apply any glue after installing the wiring, but there's nothing stopping me from doing so if needed in future.
2017-2-20
Use props
fans4c281ddf
lvl.3
Russia

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-20 23:38
It wasn't hard for me to remove. I used the tiny head of a screwdriver meant for electronic devices to pick and pull away at the glue. I'm a perfectionist, so I removed all of it, but really, all you need to do is remove enough to be able to remove the stock wiring and install the ARGtek. I didn't apply any glue after installing the wiring, but there's nothing stopping me from doing so if needed in future.

Thx for advise. Just ordered one for me!!!
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

fans4c281ddf Posted at 2017-2-20 23:39

One possible caveat: Modifying your drone is unlikely to be 'warranty approved," if you know what I mean.
2017-2-21
Use props
fans4c281ddf
lvl.3
Russia

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-21 01:06
One possible caveat: Modifying your drone is unlikely to be 'warranty approved," if you know what I mean.

Yes I knew it, iv already lost it
2017-2-21
Use props
fans4c281ddf
lvl.3
Russia

fans4c281ddf Posted at 2017-2-20 23:39

One more question. Did u disconnect wires from another half of RC? Is it needed or I cant deattach them when they are connected
2017-2-21
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

fans4c281ddf Posted at 2017-2-21 02:02
One more question. Did u disconnect wires from another half of RC? Is it needed or I cant deattach them when they are connected

There were wires connecting the top panel of the RC to the board. They clip in and out. Simply unclip them when you first open the RC and clip them back in place when finished installing. Search YouTube for videos of actual installs for visual reference. Once you see it done, you'll see it's actually pretty simple.
2017-2-21
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Here are the steps in visual form.  Use hot glue to seal the connections also. IMG_8193.jpg
IMG_8194.jpg
IMG_8195.jpg
IMG_8196.jpg
IMG_8197.jpg
IMG_8198.jpg
IMG_8199.jpg
IMG_8200.jpg
IMG_8201.jpg
IMG_8202.jpg
IMG_8203.jpg
IMG_8204.jpg
IMG_8205.jpg
IMG_8206.jpg
IMG_8207.jpg
IMG_8209.jpg
IMG_8210.jpg
IMG_8211.jpg
IMG_8212.jpg
IMG_8214.jpg

IMG_8215.jpg
2017-2-21
Use props
stage_wright
lvl.1
Flight distance : 270518 ft
United States

Just installed mine today on the P3A.

One thing I noticed is that my range is majorly decreased with the directional antennas. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the trees and things near my apartment complex and the area is very flat.

Did you all have the same issue? When I used the omnidirectional antennas it seemed better, but my battery was low so I couldn't run the full test to compare ranges. Just wanting to collect some feedback.
2017-2-25
Use props
Spappy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28107 ft
United States

Here is the install vid from the tech who works for the company I bought my antenna kit thru: blue proton.  My experience is that my range got WORSE, and now when the drone is flying away from me, even in an open area, it pauses, hiccups, and stalls like it's losing signal, even a few hundred feet away.  I've been over the install several times with the tech, all the connections are good, so I'm sending mine back.
2017-2-25
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

Spappy Posted at 2017-2-25 18:20

Here is the install vid from the tech who works for the company I bought my antenna kit thru: blue proton.  My experience is that my range got WORSE, and now when the drone is flying away from me, even in an open area, it pauses, hiccups, and stalls like it's losing signal, even a few hundred feet away.  I've been over the install several times with the tech, all the connections are good, so I'm sending mine back.

Sounds like you're having some pretty severe technical issues that might not even involve the controller mod. "Pauses, hiccups and stalls" wouldn't be caused by signal loss. It sounds like a power or motor issue. The drone would hold in place and RTH if it lost signal. Flyaways are also a different issue. Perhaps you aren't flying in GPS mode. Maybe there's a home point issue.
2017-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules