When to replace props?
5334 32 2015-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

So a few days ago I replaced a prop because it had a 1/2" chunk missing from the end and you could hear the imbalance.   Pretty obvious...

What about when it's not as obvious?

I just noticed a small split starting to form in one of the others.  Can I wait until it gets a bit worse or do you replace props at the first sign of an issue?

Prop

Prop
2015-2-21
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Heck I don't wanna seem rude but on a $3000 quad if I seen any splits on my props I would be changing them without even thinking about it..... I did read somewhere that there is a suggested working time on them don't remember what it was now.....

Mike
2015-2-21
Use props
snathla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not worth losing the Inspire, props are cheap not the Inspire. my thoughts
2015-2-21
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Not rude at all, this is the advice I'm after.  

Just don't want to spend $25 every few days because of something that doesn't affect anything.  
2015-2-21
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Well we all have spent some major $$$$ but when it comes to props for me that's something I won't even mess with. If you loose 1 prop its toast!!!!! That prop almost looks like it clipped something.....
2015-2-21
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

svencool Posted at 2015-2-22 10:56
Well we all have spent some major $$$$ but when it comes to props for me that's something I won't ev ...

Heh, yeah, I like to fly really close to get the shots and sometimes do a bit of unintentional branch pruning.   

2015-2-21
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

I seen that video earlier today and was curious you must have been able to see it pretty good to be flying it that close to the tree limbs
2015-2-21
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Yeah, I had a clean line of sight.  Biggest problem is no GPS in the forest so had to deal with unexpected drifts.    Gets a bit nerve-racking but  you gotta do what you gotta do to get the good footage!  

I've put much more expensive cameras in much more danger over the years!  
2015-2-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

jimhare Posted at 2015-2-22 11:19
Yeah, I had a clean line of sight.  Biggest problem is no GPS in the forest so had to deal with unex ...

Nice footage. When you are that low in the forest, won't it be better to walk and carry the Inspire? Save the aerial shots for when you have to be over trees.

After looking at videos like this, I've tried some manoeuvres and sooner or later, you clip branches or worse - so I tried hand carrying. The results are pretty good (did this in a flower garden and not a forest).

You are indeed brave!
2015-2-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks M-T-K.   Have done some hand held tests for walking stuff but can't get the rises plus I can't walk on water so couldn't have gotten those shots!   
2015-2-22
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

Nothing to add regarding props, but that is a beautiful video.
2015-2-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks Chris, much appreciated!
2015-2-22
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice job, very professional. The Inspire Camera really shines in you work.
2015-2-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Its those guys that take some chances here and there usually end up with some very nice footage. Nice in deed Jim and get yea a new prop and your back in biz

Mike
2015-2-22
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Nice video, I had the same issues with my phantom as I like to do similar vids and train in close proximity of trees / buildings.

I took the decision that a little indent would'nt be an issue (if arises / burrs shaved off) but anything more would add to the issues of drift and greater the risk of further drift and issues.

That split is something that I would bin the prop for and replace.
2015-2-22
Use props
misticsea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87228484 ft
United States

Good luck finding props for another 2 weeks at least
2015-2-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks all!  

Yeah, replaced the props, only one spare now so will be extra careful for the time being.

Thanks for the prop advice and comments on the video, much appreciated!
2015-2-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks all for the advice and comments on the vid!

I have replaced the props.  Only one spare left from the original two sets so will be careful until they are really available, which I'm guessing shouldn't be too long.
2015-2-22
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally I would change the Props at any point that they were not as new. There are balance issues along with control issues. Problem right now is finding the replacement parts!
2015-2-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Well you talk about prop balance I just purchased one of these Less than $20
Inspire 1 Prop Balancer

Mike
2015-2-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

svencool Posted at 2015-2-23 05:26
Well you talk about prop balance I just purchased one of these  Less than $20
Inspire 1 Prop Balan ...

Interesting stuff Mike.  What do you actually use to do the balancing?   Looks like a small piece of tape or something?
2015-2-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

yea I couldn't tell but I figured as much. In the old days we use to lightly sand the props
2015-2-22
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great video Jimhare,  Its my idea of good depth in a video and makes you feel that your right there flying over the scene.
2015-2-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks vonbaron!
2015-2-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-2-22 11:01
Heh, yeah, I like to fly really close to get the shots and sometimes do a bit of unintentional bran ...

Way to push the envelope with the air craft! Great shots on this video and I agree the depth of field is amazing.
All Rc has carbon fiber props in stock.
2015-2-22
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I dont understand this balancing, do you leave the bit of tape on? Surely it attracts dirt and adds to further inbalancing?

With regards to carbon fibre props I was advised to try and avoid due to the nature of them shattering (only purchased for my phantom) but have to say they were hit and miss anyway as some dont even screw on correctly and I bought from China on ebay. Wont do that again!
2015-2-23
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

An imbalanced prop may go un noticed if you use your video as a reference because of the grim le dampening and video correction. However, the unbalanced prop will kick the snot out of a motor. Highly suggest a close visual inspection for vibration due to prop wear on a regular basis.
2015-2-26
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Dangair Posted at 2015-2-27 11:31
An imbalanced prop may go un noticed if you use your video as a reference because of the grim le dam ...

Won't you also hear it?   I can hear when the motors are going at different rates and when it's just hovering.  Seems like if one motor were working hard you would notice the difference in sound.
2015-2-26
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

Nice video - made my heart beat fast thinking of clipping something and watching my Inspire 1 fall into the water!

By the way, if you find your propeller is out of balance, how do you remedy it?

I heard tape or sanding mentioned.

If I anyone has experience can you please elaborate?

Like.. what type of sanding paper and where and how to sand it properly would be awesome. Thanks

Sorry not trying to hijack your post but kind of related topic i guess..
2015-2-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

jhogge Posted at 2015-2-28 04:49
Nice video - made my heart beat fast thinking of clipping something and watching my Inspire 1 fall i ...

Thanks for the comment and I share your fears about drowning the inspire!

Not hijacking at all, I would also like any info on the process of balancing so anyone who wants to comment and advise, please go for it!
2015-2-27
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-2-27 13:03
Won't you also hear it?   I can hear when the motors are going at different rates and when it's ju ...

You might, but remember the motor is revolving extremely fast and even small imbalances or a change in pitch can put excessive strain and wear on the bearing.
2015-2-28
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

The reason I mention a visual inspection is because the vibration will transmit into the arms and be easier to see, some might mistake it for an oscillation but it may be induced by a faulty prop. A typical example would be if a prop were twisted on one side just enough to effect the pitch on one side. This might cause the prop to have greater or lesser lift on one side. The prop is after all a wing. On larger aircraft pitch can be adjusted to effect thust for fuel savings or greater take off power. If the prop is defective and the pitch is not even it can destroy an engine or cause a prop failure.
2015-2-28
Use props
PJ Australian
lvl.1

Australia

Be nice if DJI would provide props. You need them to fly.
2015-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules