Mavic Pro Lost signal and out of control
7046 35 2017-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

Dear DJI,

I do believed there is so many mavic pro owner are facing this lost signal problems and also some drone even when missing, DJI please do consider for those who has been support your products for so many years, this is the first time I feel so insecure using mavic pro.

So please tell me how fast do you think that mavic pro can go? well let me tell you....before flying what I did was checking the compass, check the enviroment all clear then take off, after few minute the drone start flying very unstable and i have controlled to return to home point but unsuccessful i can't even pull back or doing anything to make it stop, suddently the mavic pro just out of control with the top speed of 231km/h and it hit on the wall really hard and crashed... i do have the video record how it crashed during that time. I have to sent back the machine for inspection and today i received the result sent by the seller from DJI repair department saids that DJI is not taking any responsibility and this is nothing to do with DJI products. Feeling so sad it  DJI not giving any reason why it is lost signal or out of controlmand even ask me to pay for the repair cost this is product problems i wish to exchange a new one.... the repair centre just repeat what the fliying log stated without any further result that has been investigate, i do believed DJI know the problems and blame on the owner fault.

I do hope DJI do understand this drone have too many unknown problems and need to be inform or recall... i do hope not one of you having a same issue like me you will get shock, because i did know someone mavic pro even when missing and can't trace back, trust me.... it just out of control although you have the controller in your hand you can't help it and you just look at the mavic pro hit on the wall so hard...so sad to mention now DJI are not taking any responsibility....WHY? DJI you have to treat us this way dont you protect your value customer {:4_142:}
2017-2-21
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

If you want any help understanding what happened, then please post the video and flight logs here for us to investigate.
Also if you post your DJI case number a mod will be able to look at it and explain to you in more detail why it was not a warranty repair.
Without any details nobody can assist you.
2017-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Upload your flight log , you may not get the help your looking for , but a better understanding of how this happened.

Use http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ just upload here and post the link back at this thread.

231 km/h , I would really love to see that !!!!!!!
2017-2-21
Use props
Ttony1976
lvl.2
Flight distance : 791562 ft
United Kingdom

Upload your flight log so we can all see what happened,
I thought if the Mavic lost contact with the controller it will either hover in place or return to the home point.
Be interesting to see if this is a DJI problem or pilot error.
2017-2-21
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-21 09:37
Upload your flight log , you may not get the help your looking for , but a better understanding of how this happened.

Use http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ just upload here and post the link back at this thread.

Me too; I'd even settle for a photo of what was left of it after it "hit on the wall really hard and crashed".
2017-2-21
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

231.kmh!!!! Are you on something?
2017-2-21
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

DJI do replace drones under warranty and do replace drones through care refresh as reported by many people ... So there is a reason they are not replacing your drone.  

Like the large majority of these threads on this forum you insult the company and product and claim no responsibility..... but more than likely it will end up being user error or product limitation.

There is no reason for a product recall....for the large majority of people the mavic works almost perfectly except a few software problems that will eventually be ironed out.   

Dji have zero responsibility to replace drones if a crash occurs because of product limitation ..... which for some reason people on this forum fail to realise. If you lose gps and rc connection most likely it will result in a crash ... just unlucky in most situations just because you "can't see a mobile tower" or "your in the middle of a paddock" or "you have flown here many times" does not mean there is no interference and just because you lost gps or rc connection does not mean the product is faulty.     
2017-2-21
Use props
fans806c9953
lvl.1

Germany

Hi,
What did really happen?

Well, I do understand a lot of people are angry, worried or feel misunderstood and mad about their loss and situation. I think there even might be quite some cases out there were it actually was a real problem with hardware/software or sensors or lets rather say -  the product, so it actually also must have been an issue for dji too, and not a small one. But maybe not strictly in a financial way, because of terms and conditions. But especially not a small one, because they present their product with all its sensors and automatic flight modes as if this drone was an all-in-one  big sensor or at least having sensors into every direction being able to calculate its surroundings when avoiding obstacles in front but not side, even though they mention the 'two front and ground sensors. So, I am saying their commercials make people tend to overestimate what these products are capable of. They let them  forget to carefully check  what's really promised and what is your own risk, forget to be  cautious and thoughtful when flying, always trying to understand potential risky situations and environments or physical influence.  However - and I don't say that because I might follow this opinion -, in a lot of cases and I believe it's the majority, the people do think and act as described in the last post above. There are so many reasons why this technology is not yet perfect and what might have an impact on the drone and the signal transmissions. Either way I don't believe that so many people are flying this bad or that it was not at least  half of real hardware /software problems and that  the drone was actually supposed to handle it (+ differently). I mean clearly you can't claim exchange if there is no proof and too many ununcertainties which makes it a dark room for investigation (but not for  advanced (more) support! That's what I think), hence besides trust there is a barrier of simply giving out an expensive product with a snap. That is a big  a problem for you/one of us,but it is also a problem for the company not being able to simply and fast come after the customer's worries and needs due to real issues on the Mavic ecosystem.

Cheers

If it clearly was an error situation with no reason to your phone or peripherals,  or the very dangerous environment you flew it into, then go for it and claim your rights, bring your motivation to share all you know about the failure situation in a respective thread with all you have (+ and use search forum function first! Thanks.)
I hope my Mavic will be fine to me as I will be fine to it, too. ;) And if it falls I will raise to - in a respective case- claim all I get by law
2017-2-21
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

OK z4k4tt4ck. So what exactly is the product limitation of the Mavic? I dont know the circumstances of this particulare crash, but there has been a numerous treads with this cenario with the Mavic suddenly losing GPS Signal and not responding to stick input. Its very alarming.  Me and probably manny Mavic owners have experinced costly accidents that is hard to explain as an pilot error. Even DJI analyses and conclutions leave a lot of questions. When you talk about wireless interference the conclusion obviously is not to fly in uban aereas at all because the risk off  losing control of the drone and hurt people or damage propertty.  .Where in the manual can you read that?
2017-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansc2962bbc Posted at 2017-2-21 13:26
OK z4k4tt4ck. So what exactly is the product limitation of the Mavic? I dont know the circumstances of this particulare crash, but there has been a numerous treads with this cenario with the Mavic suddenly losing GPS Signal and not responding to stick input. Its very alarming.  Me and probably manny Mavic owners have experinced costly accidents that is hard to explain as an pilot error. Even DJI analyses and conclutions leave a lot of questions. When you talk about wireless interference the conclusion obviously is not to fly in uban aereas at all because the risk off  losing control of the drone and hurt people or damage propertty.  .Where in the manual can you read that?

Page 48 of the Manual please read, I will only list 1 but there a 6..

Flight environment requirements

2/ Fly in open areas tall structures and large metal structures may effect the accuracy of the on board compass and gps system.
2017-2-21
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

Here is the print screen from the DJI 4.0 app and the flight log after convert....
Video link from youtube

DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-25_[11-25-55].txt.Flytrex.preview.csv.zip

3.9 KB, Down times: 5

Flight log

2017-2-21
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

iDamo4u Posted at 2017-2-21 17:01
Here is the print screen from the DJI 4.0 app and the flight log after convert....
Video link from youtube https://youtu.be/cCJtK2izAWI

Print screen
IMG_0814 copy.jpg
2017-2-21
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

You all can see, this are the print screen showed no GPS but i did calibrate before take of and also when the incidence happened the apps message appear  "Gimbal pitch reached movement limit", "Warning motor obstructed", "Warning: satellite positioning off fly with caution", all this message which is only can be appear in the apps flight log when you slide to check on the log file... i do understand if this is the owner mistake i will take the responsibily, but i did own a phanthom 2, 4, inspire 1 and osmo i know what im doing for sure... calidbrate compass before take off...
My DJI Case Number : CAS-445154-D8W4Y8
IMG_0990 copy.jpg
2017-2-21
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

Harbourside Posted at 2017-2-21 09:13
If you want any help understanding what happened, then please post the video and flight logs here for us to investigate.
Also if you post your DJI case number a mod will be able to look at it and explain to you in more detail why it was not a warranty repair.
Without any details nobody can assist you.

this is my case number CAS-445154-D8W4Y8, result are writing in chinese sent strait to the seller because i assign them for the claim. To be honest it doesn't tell much of the reason why this incidence happended, example: unstable flying, can't stop, conclustion: not DJI products faulty problems, repair cost need to be pay etc.
IMG_0985.JPG
2017-2-21
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Without uploading the flight logs to one of the websites already mentioned above, all I can go on is the video.
I take it you are the guy in the pink shirt, you said in your opening post "before flying what I did was checking the compass, check the enviroment all clear then take off,"
Did you calibrate the compass on that diner balcony ?
Flying from the balcony and surrounded by high-rise buildings is not what I would call a clear environment.
It looks to me like you flew it into the wall, maybe expecting it to stop dead when you let go of the sticks, which it will not do without GPS.
You can playback the flight log on your phone and use the stick overlay to show your inputs, recording that and posting it here will help, but the flight logs from HeathyDrones or Phantompilots would be better.
2017-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

iDamo4u Posted at 2017-2-21 17:01
Video link from youtube https://youtu.be/cCJtK2izAWI

Just looking at that video, I have to ask did you read page 48 of the Manual, also your stick photo shows 100% down and 100% backward, also 100% yaw left and 100% left , in such an area this looks on the face of it, all a bit amateurish. But to have a proper perspective on it posting the logs might help..
2017-2-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-22 05:56
Just looking at that video, I have to ask did you read page 48 of the Manual, also your stick photo shows 100% down and 100% backward, also 100% yaw left and 100% left , in such an area this looks on the face of it, all a bit amateurish. But to have a proper perspective on it posting the logs might help..

your stick photo shows 100% down and 100% backward, also 100% yaw left and 100% left

I'm guessing that part was just him doing a CSC to power down after it crashed into the wall.
2017-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-22 05:59
your stick photo shows 100% down and 100% backward, also 100% yaw left and 100% left

I'm guessing that part was just him doing a CSC to power down after it crashed into the wall.

Well that's not gonna shut anything down, sticks in or out and down.

My thinking looking at the video he was in Atti mode and simply lost control, a mistake anyone can make, but the flight environment was all wrong..
2017-2-22
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-22 06:34
Well that's not gonna shut anything down, sticks in or out and down.

My thinking looking at the video he was in Atti mode and simply lost control, a mistake anyone can make, but the flight environment was all wrong..

im not trying to shut anything down, i just wish i still can control the drone during this incidence happened in your opinion im flying in the wrong area?? is a very wide area and in good weather no wind and i wont saids is drifting it just when fast when it is out of control.....
2017-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

iDamo4u Posted at 2017-2-22 08:07
im not trying to shut anything down, i just wish i still can control the drone during this incidence happened in your opinion im flying in the wrong area?? is a very wide area and in good weather no wind and i wont saids is drifting it just when fast when it is out of control.....

I think if you read the Manual P48 you will clearly see the type of environment you were flying is not suitable to flying SUA , this is clearly born out by the fact you had no gps signal your AC was out of control, and if there were any people standing around were you were positioned, they would have been in extreme danger.

Sometimes you need to look at the whole picture, you are responsible for the area you choose to fly in, if you decide to go against recommendations of the manual , there may very well be consequences, from a safety point of view it doesn't matter if this was dji fault or pilot error, if you decide to fly in an unsuitable area with no gps, then the onus will always be on you to make sure it's safe for everyone if you are flying your SUA..
2017-2-22
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

Harbourside Posted at 2017-2-22 05:29
Without uploading the flight logs to one of the websites already mentioned above, all I can go on is the video.
I take it you are the guy in the pink shirt, you said in your opening post "before flying what I did was checking the compass, check the enviroment all clear then take off,"
Did you calibrate the compass on that diner balcony ?

so you mean compare with indoor flying,  flying from the balcony is even worse? Yes i calibrate from the balcony wait till i get the green light.... from my habit i calibrate every single flight, the video look like i try to let it crashed on the wall like i doing some test to the sensor....i think like you said have to match with the flight logs.... to be honest through the beginning of the video it is where i start to found out the drone flying very unstable and the drone are not hovering this is where i try to turn back to the home point and the drone starting to out of control and hit on the wall above me..... i couldn't imagine if without the wall the mavic pro is long gone and for sure i don't have any evidence to show you all....
2017-2-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

iDamo4u Posted at 2017-2-22 08:37
so you mean compare with indoor flying,  flying from the balcony is even worse? Yes i calibrate from the balcony wait till i get the green light.... from my habit i calibrate every single flight, the video look like i try to let it crashed on the wall like i doing some test to the sensor....i think like you said have to match with the flight logs.... to be honest through the beginning of the video it is where i start to found out the drone flying very unstable and the drone are not hovering this is where i try to turn back to the home point and the drone starting to out of control and hit on the wall above me..... i couldn't imagine if without the wall the mavic pro is long gone and for sure i don't have any evidence to show you all....

"i calibrate every single flight"

That's not a good practice and may even have contributed to the crash.
2017-2-22
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-22 08:25
I think if you read the Manual P48 you will clearly see the type of environment you were flying is not suitable to flying SUA , this is clearly born out by the fact you had no gps signal your AC was out of control, and if there were any people standing around were you were positioned, they would have been in extreme danger.

Sometimes you need to look at the whole picture, you are responsible for the area you choose to fly in, if you decide to go against recommendations of the manual , there may very well be consequences, from a safety point of view it doesn't matter if this was dji fault or pilot error, if you decide to fly in an unsuitable area with no gps, then the onus will always be on you to make sure it's safe for everyone if you are flying your SUA..

Thanks for telling me, but i do have the GPS signal before taking off (at least 5 appear on the signal bar, you can see on the print screen) i do understand is my responsibility for the area i chose to flight the drone, why i chose the area is because no one around during that time but after that those people walk out from the back glass door they are those who curious about what im doing up there in the balcony and this where i start to control the drone back and it is out of control.... because like you mention when there is people around it might be dangerous... if without the drone error i would consider my flight on that day will just only less then 2 minute shooting for my projects, because there is a people surrounding me....
2017-2-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

iDamo4u Posted at 2017-2-22 08:58
Thanks for telling me, but i do have the GPS signal before taking off (at least 5 appear on the signal bar, you can see on the print screen) i do understand is my responsibility for the area i chose to flight the drone, why i chose the area is because no one around during that time but after that those people walk out from the back glass door they are those who curious about what im doing up there in the balcony and this where i start to control the drone back and it is out of control.... because like you mention when there is people around it might be dangerous... if without the drone error i would consider my flight on that day will just only less then 2 minute shooting for my projects, because there is a people surrounding me....

"at least 5 [GPS satellites] appear on the signal bar"

Five is a low number of satellites for GPS.
2017-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

iDamo4u Posted at 2017-2-22 08:58

You say in earlier post you have flown inspire p3 etc , then you will know 5 sat is not enough to control your aircraft considering this could be a share of glonass and gps.

When you fly in such an area you should always be aware that people may try to gather around and watch what's going on , it's the pilots responsibility to make sure these people are safe.
According to your pictures you were never in gps mode , look in left hand corner you will see Atti on your screen.

Regarding your Mavic and who's fault it was, well it's to hard to say, it may help if you posted your logs as some on the thread have asked, and this might help you.
I do hope for your sake and that you won't be out of pocket, that it was a malfunction and will be covered by warranty.

I wish you good luck..
2017-2-22
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

fansc2962bbc Posted at 2017-2-21 13:26

Not even dji know the exact limitations of the mavic ... The fact is ... If the aircraft is working perfectly ... And you lose gps or rc connection and crash ... Dji wont replace your drone ... Nor should they.

This could happen to the best pilot in the world... flying in a 100 acre field.

Could be wifi interferance ... Could be  some guy hiding in a bush with a drone gun... Really it could be one of infinite possibilities.

Have you never lost gps on your phone ? If you have did you throw your phone away ? Because clearly its broken ?

If you lose rc or gps because the mavic or software is faulty dji will replace it... And have done for many people...
2017-2-22
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-22 09:20
You say in earlier post you have flown inspire p3 etc , then you will know 5 sat is not enough to control your aircraft considering this could be a share of glonass and gps.

When you fly in such an area you should always be aware that people may try to gather around and watch what's going on , it's the pilots responsibility to make sure these people are safe.

Yes i already upload the files but so far no one able to tell me..... by looking at the flight log what can we found

3.9 KB, Down times: 1

Flight log

2017-2-22
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

Flight log

3.9 KB, Down times: 3

Flight log

2017-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

These are files to be read by dji, you need to upload to healthydrones or phantomhelp and the post link here .

Good luck..
2017-2-23
Use props
iDamo4u
lvl.1

Malaysia

from healthydrones

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=wMldLo
2017-2-23
Use props
fans825c0532
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

https://youtu.be/dbxl-gAqs5o

is this pilot error? refer to description box for time frames.

and... go! discuss
2017-3-16
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ttony1976 Posted at 2017-2-21 10:29
Upload your flight log so we can all see what happened,
I thought if the Mavic lost contact with the controller it will either hover in place or return to the home point.
Be interesting to see if this is a DJI problem or pilot error.

I have had my Mavic go into ATTI mode and start drifting fast a few times.   I recallibrated the compass and that always fixes it.  
As for the OP going at 231 Km/h....  ROTFLMAO...  that's 150 mph.....  Bit unlikely  

Ian

https://www.youtube.com/IaninLondon
2017-8-2
Use props
Oh My
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18694 ft
New Zealand

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-21 10:35

Me too; I'd even settle for a photo of what was left of it after it "hit on the wall really hard and crashed".

If it was that speed, that Mavic must be 100 pieces now.
Wrong recording.
Even my mavic got a wrong value of Highest Take off altitude, and similar fault.
2017-8-2
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Oh My Posted at 2017-8-2 22:18
I believed and understood what iDamo4u said. because I had some similar situations and hit obstructions. (slow speed)

My incidents looked changing status from GPS to ATTI. Mavic Started drifting and unstable, that was understandable.

"Many Mavic owners." And yet out of all of the crashes and incidents I've seen here, a grand total of TWO were not because of pilot error.
2017-8-2
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

You didn't even have a GPS lock, that's what the logs are telling you. All the error messages that you get on the flight record are displayed after crashing. It's your fault mate, you took off too soon and in ATTI mode, and you were not able to control it.
2017-8-3
Use props
Oh My
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18694 ft
New Zealand

ephektz Posted at 2017-8-2 23:54
"Many Mavic owners." And yet out of all of the crashes and incidents I've seen here, a grand total of TWO were not because of pilot error.

Yes, I believed what you said until myself suffered from strange faults.

I am flying Night hawk 250 (quad copter) and make some flips and rolls, I've never had any slow response issue to crash.
If there was the only drifting, no problem, expected and can be recovered (or can be f-up which I can recognise).

Cheep model is better than Expensive model, Don't you feel pain in the back side?
Hope you won't get that situation in a future. It is really pain.

If it was my fault I can tell myself what was going on.

Again, yes, I understand what you said and There are many idiot mavic operators too.
If you think I am the one of them, That's fine, I live with that.  
2017-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules