1229 12 2017-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zeldon50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

Hi All-
I've seen a couple youtube videos with some nastyass birds knocking drones out of the sky. Anyone know how often this happens? I live in Maine and the place is crawling with birds, especially dump ducks (you might know them as seagulls).
2017-2-21
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
United States

Hi All- I've seen a couple youtube videos with some nastyass birds knocking drones out of the sky. Anyone know how often this happens? I live in Maine and the place is crawling with birds, especially dump ducks (you might know them as seagulls). When I have been in the vicinity of them, they usually fly away, or at least ignore my drone. I imagine their temperment might change during nesting season. Our dump ducks are mostly white, so I intentionally skinned my drone with black carbon fiber, thinking it would look more like a bird of prey, than another seagull. Of course, that's how I think, not them. I'd like to hear some opinions from you all on what the threat to our birds really is. zeldon50
2017-2-21
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-21 09:40
From what I've read seagulls, eagles and hawks seem to be the most aggressive.   I found out the other day that Canadian Geese could care less about drones

That's funny, cause there's a youtube video that I'e watched with a canadian goose on the ground taking off and knocking the drone out of the sky!
2017-2-21
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

I have a pair of eagles that live within a1/8 mile of me and fly over my house all the time. It's always in the back of my mind that one could take out my quad at anytime. Hopefully we never meet up.  lol

Badbob
2017-2-21
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I would suggest adding birds from the corvus genus (crows and ravens) to the list of potential risks along with seagulls, eagles, hawks and other predators. Otherwise one should take care during the breeding period as many species can defend themselves. There have been some scientific studies of birds’ reactions to drones (biologists would like to use drones as tools, see Approaching birds with drones). The findings show little reaction to a drone’s color, but a clear reaction to the angle of approach (do not approach birds from overhead).
Have fun & good flying!
2017-2-21
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Even small birds will bomb u if they are in the mood.. u know.. ever seen finches or swallows bomb a hawk or an owl? Overall, if i see birds, I'll move away, just in case...  animals are territorial, especially during feeding.
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-2-21 10:48
Even small birds will bomb u if they are in the mood.. u know.. ever seen finches or swallows bomb a hawk or an owl? Overall, if i see birds, I'll move away, just in case...  animals are territorial, especially during feeding.

or mating....
2017-2-21
Use props
Alyn Walsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91407 ft
Ireland

Phantomski Posted at 2017-2-21 10:48

I consider it all part of the hazard assessment - before flying!!
2017-2-21
Use props
TMB Aerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20591 ft
United States

Almost every time I go up I see at least one, sometimes a group of birds start to circle. Blackbirds and hawks are most common here in the Triangle area. (North Carolina) So far they pretty much have kept thier distance. If they make a move at the drone I'm curious what the best course of action is, I'm thinking just getting the heck away from it. I don't think I would make an aggressive maneuver towards a bird as my experience with most birds of decent size aren't afraid of anything.
2017-2-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The bird that has caused me the greatest trouble is the swallow. They fearlessly dive on my Phantom. But generally speaking if any birds are taking an interest in my aircraft, I get down out of the sky.
2017-2-22
Use props
Beux
lvl.2
United States

Seagulls are real! They are watching you right now!
2017-2-22
Use props
Brianketo77
lvl.1

United States

Had a hawk come after mine .
2017-2-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's a very real possibility, so you do want to be mindful of what's around you.
2017-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules