Great at first but now....
3672 27 2015-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

So I have had my Inspire for about 2 weeks and I have to say, its been a blast. Over my Phantom and a few other quads I have its been a total treat to own and I would say that most of my success with it has been to reading all of the tips, tricks, issues and things to look out for on this and other forums.

However over the past few days it has become increasingly buggy.

1) Compass calibration -

At first I religiously (still do) calibrate the compass before every flight. up until a few days ago if  did it once that's al it took. Now for the past several days I am having to do it two to three times otherwise when I take off it wants to fly around in a 1 meter diameter style box pattern. A couple of times it was bad enough that I am lucky I was only inches off of the ground otherwise it would of been a mess.

The compass each time always states that it is calibrated, I have full GPS signal where I live and no towers anywhere near here. So for now I guess I am having to do this multiple times to make sure its correct so I don't have any expensive accidents.

2) Video issues (Maybe GUI issues?)

Over the past couple days the video signal to my tablet has spent the majority of the time froze up, black or not streaming, even stranger this happens whether im 2 ft or 2000ft away from the unit.   I have full signal on the transmitters and still have control of the camera even though i cant see anything. Currently I am using two nexus II tablets for each controller.

During this time I never loose control of the copter and even weirder although my telemetry is rock solid and seems correct I continue to get weird voice warnings in mid flights like "landing gear raising" and " landing gear lowering" and the one that scare the hell out of me was when I was at my max height about 3500ft away and the display showed "weak transmission > starting motors" however I could clearly tell (although I have no FPV video) by switching over to the google maps display I still had full control of my Inspire and was able to fly it home.

3) Flight path drifting -

I had read that this was updated in the latest batch of firmware updates so I went to do the update but it says I am updated already?  If there any place where I can get the exact firmware etc for each part of the system and not just the firmware packed download located on DJI's website?

4) Gimbal in a fixed position-

Today I noticed that intermittently when the video would come in and out (flying within 200ft of my home point) that regardless of which way I was flying (direction, angle, altitude, pitch etc) the camera was auto adjusting itself to the north west. and I had ZERO control of it except for up and down controls.  I power cycled the inspire and it solved it but then came back again about 5 minutes later in mid flight. I would say that this is follow mode however im not initiating it and its randomly activating and deactivating?

After all of this started happening I decided to recalibrate my IMU as per some other issues I was reading about online. Upone re-start I went from ZERO video (As described above) fo a very temperamental signal regardless of distance, location or surroundings. I kno the camera is working becuause I can shoot video and take photos and download them (although I can see what im taking a picture of when I take it) to my PC.

Any ideas or help would be great because Im growing tired of sitting on hold trying to get answers out of DJI since they are on holiday and obviously local support is overloaded with the Chinese New Year holiday.  

Thanks in advance.
2015-2-21
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

For the record here is my firmware/loader versions

Main Controller - 1.15 / 34.01
Camera - 1.03 / 0.00
Gimbal 1.05 / 1.0
Center Board 2.03 / 3.0
Remote Controller 1.04 / 2 0
Battery 3.0 / 2 06
Air OFDM 1.03 / 3.0
Air Encoder 1.1 / 1.0
Ground Encoder 1.03 / 1.0

I havnt been able to find a confirmed list anywhere on DJI's site except for the 2 16 firmware pack on the download page which has zero correlation to this broken down list. Thanks for the help in advance.
2015-2-21
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Anybody???????
2015-2-22
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a match to mine.
2015-2-22
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Thanks for the reply. Is this all up to date? I just really don't know and have no reference to what the current firmware is on each section. With all the issues im starting to have creeping in im curious and cautious alike.
2015-2-22
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

In regard to your number one issue I wonder what has changed with the Compass. My Phantoms I would do it once  on my first flight and never had to do it again. I think we went down hill instead of up hill on this one!
2015-2-22
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-23 05:24
In regard to your number one issue I wonder what has changed with the Compass. My Phantoms I would d ...

Yeah I'm baffled.... I remove all meta, wallet, keys, cellphone, etc from me before every flight, stay away from anything metal, cars, tool boxes etc and even make sure any calibration I make is from an elevated position so there is no chances of things like rebar etc in the surfaces in calibrating on having any effect
2015-2-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-2-23 05:51
Yeah I'm baffled.... I remove all meta, wallet, keys, cellphone, etc from me before every flight,  ...

On my old phantom 1 , I had to do a degaussing of my compass , which dji had a tutorial for this simple procedure on a phantom , using another SMALL magnet you pass it round the compass a few times which deguases the compass magnet ,,, Not sure if this is done on the inspire ? But on my phantom it did work like a charm .    Otherwise you do not want to let any strong magnetic things near your birds compass .
2015-2-22
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

Philippines

I've had compass problems and GPS loss that was immediately fixed when I did an IMU calibration. I have not xoerienced fixed gimbal proble. :/ that is unfirtuante my friend
2015-2-22
Use props
info.rossfeighe
lvl.1

United States

Have you done an IMU calibration? That should help with the compass.  Also check what the C1 or C2 buttons are set to on your remote...you might be accidentally hitting one of those to toggle follow mode or reset the gimbal. I have also started doing a power cycle after I calibrate the compass before I take off and that seems to have helped with my gimbal twitch issue, I think extreme cold makes the gimbal twitch more too
2015-2-22
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

mmmm  yeah I had not thought of checking the C1 or C2 buttons. How do I confirm what those buttons are programmed for?  I've never used them or even programmed them. As far as temp goes its been in the mid to high 70's here during the day....

also noticed another issue today.  Was trying some low altitude flying over some tall grass (roughly about 3ft above the ground, but about 12" above the grass) and I found the inspire kept sporadically would start to drop altitude. Thankfully I was physically watching the inspire rather than thru the tablet and saw it happening and floored it to get some elevation back.  This repeated itself a few times doing the same flight but never did anything over different terrain. Im holding that to be terrain and turbulent related..

I had to recalibrate the IMU again today as out of the blue the calibrations were off again on power up.     Also power cycle after a compass calibration seems to lock the calibration in as long as its powered cycled in the same location as the original calibration. I totally get it having to make sure these things are on the money but every single flight even if in the same locations repeatedly is just more than annoying... lol
2015-2-22
Use props
derkoi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Why not read the instruction manual to find out how to do it? That's what it's there for.
2015-2-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-23 10:54
On my old phantom 1 , I had to do a degaussing of my compass , which dji had a tutorial for this s ...

Very interesting and makes sense. Glad you Posted this as their are others that have had the same issue.
2015-2-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

info.rossfeighe Posted at 2015-2-23 13:40
Have you done an IMU calibration? That should help with the compass.  Also check what the C1 or C2 b ...

Interesting also. All of these issues and resolutions. We are getting to a point where we will need a Co-Pilot to go over a preflight checklist.
2015-2-23
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

derkoi Posted at 2015-2-23 16:17
Why not read the instruction manual to find out how to do it? That's what it's there for.

Actually it has been read multiple times. However it does not talk of random self acting functions, locked cameras that require full power cycles of the main unit, controller and GUI to correct.  Nor does it talk about about how your tablet will tell you (when your inspire is our a good distance) that your motors are starting when you clearly still have control of the flight path. Nor does it talk about having to calibrate the compass more than once (sometimes 3-4 times) to get it to not go on a random drift pattern at first launch even after IMU calibrations.

Or did I miss a section in the manual? If I did then I regress.

I agree, everbody should RTFM first. Reading the manual was something I id before I even made my purchase, along with reading on the forums.
2015-2-23
Use props
thumpinhard
lvl.2

United States

are you on android? did you update the app? that helped mine with video feed..but then mine had an imu error and a weird message,then hit a tree after another flight. the second flight seemed fine after a i did the imu again. the third seemed ok but then crashed and it may or may not have been my fault. i am awaiting dii response..might never know if there was an issue or not. if i were you i would send it back before it crashes like mine did. warrantee with issues can be taken care of but you risk being charged a lot of money if it crashes..they may not admit it is was a defect. that happened to me on a phantom. be careful.
2015-2-23
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

thumpinhard Posted at 2015-2-24 01:04
are you on android? did you update the app? that helped mine with video feed..but then mine had an i ...

Yes on Android. My last download of the app was 2/16. I can download again but I hadn't heard there was an update since? Do you know when the last update was made?  Thanks
2015-2-23
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Finally got somebody on the phone at DJI.  ZERO help. He didn't ask any questions or try to research further details. No sooner than I finished explaining whats going on he simply says lets get you set up on an RA and send it in. ((SIGH)) So is this a known series of problems? He quoted me "at least 4 weeks turn around".

I tried asking him questions but was defaulted back to what sounded like a stock answer (or answer written on a tech support index card).

I think im going to call the place I bought it from and ask for an exchange as they said if there was any issues they would take care of it.

All I know is if I handled any of the tech calls I handle on a daily basis like this and told everybody to just send it in my ass would be in a heap of trouble. (Sigh)

Frustrating....
2015-2-23
Use props
kevin_glamuzina
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25466 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-2-24 01:34
Yes on Android. My last download of the app was 2/16. I can download again but I hadn't heard there ...

Interesting that you are having these issues on android and no I'm not an android basher
A mate of mine and myself have brought an inspire each me on apple only because i already owned an ipad and he brought a Sony xperia tablet as a dedicated screen for flying with Dare i say it his screen is better in bright light.
But he is having similar issues. On launch he is getting a lot of wandering and Compass warnings etc but it does seem to settle down after a few stick movements and 20 seconds or so of flying. Not sure why
AS for compass calibration i have read a lot of dialog on this when i first brought my Phantom.
Initially i would calibrate my compass every flight and then i read that you don't need to, only when you travel large distance from you last home point. So i would regularly travel and every time i launched at different locations i would face the drone to compass north and do my calibration and the only time i had compass issues was when i didn't calibrate at a new location. But by the sounds of it you are doing all this
If your IMU settings are good and compass is good and you have GPS lock man it is really hard to have any issues. You should contact DJI or even send it back to them to down load the flight info because dude that sounds scary
Good luck
2015-2-23
Use props
kevin_glamuzina
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25466 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-2-24 01:34
Yes on Android. My last download of the app was 2/16. I can download again but I hadn't heard there ...

Interesting that you are having these issues on android and no I'm not an android basher
A mate of mine and myself have brought an inspire each me on apple only because i already owned an ipad and he brought a Sony xperia tablet as a dedicated screen for flying with Dare i say it his screen is better in bright light.
But he is having similar issues. On launch he is getting a lot of wandering and Compass warnings etc but it does seem to settle down after a few stick movements and 20 seconds or so of flying. Not sure why
AS for compass calibration i have read a lot of dialog on this when i first brought my Phantom.
Initially i would calibrate my compass every flight and then i read that you don't need to, only when you travel large distance from you last home point. So i would regularly travel and every time i launched at different locations i would face the drone to compass north and do my calibration and the only time i had compass issues was when i didn't calibrate at a new location. But by the sounds of it you are doing all this
If your IMU settings are good and compass is good and you have GPS lock man it is really hard to have any issues. You should contact DJI or even send it back to them to down load the flight info because dude that sounds scary
Good luck
2015-2-23
Use props
jm.sierra
New

United States

Did you update the app on your tablet to the newest version? which version are you using right now?
2015-2-24
Use props
jm.sierra
New

United States

Did you update the app on your tablet to the newest version? which version are you using right now?
2015-2-24
Use props
sirebral
lvl.1

United States

Same drifting problem here, almost lost my bird today, is this a firmware issue, or do we have defective hardware?
2015-2-24
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

jm.sierra@iclou Posted at 2015-2-25 10:24

Well I did the update on the tablet tonight and got one flight in but was quick as I had a nagging wife bugging the crap out of me. However the app stopped working twice and my google maps window was blank (blank blue screen)....  

I restarted the app twice as well as the remote and drone (yes I had full GPS signal) and no change. So for some reason both tablets have no napping capability. Going to try again tomorrow.
2015-2-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sirebral Posted at 2015-2-25 11:23
Same drifting problem here, almost lost my bird today, is this a firmware issue, or do we have defec ...

There is an update for the Inspire that addresses the drifting issue. It is on the DJI page undr Inspire downloads.
2015-2-26
Use props
jm.sierra
New

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-27 04:10
There is an update for the Inspire that addresses the drifting issue. It is on the DJI page undr I ...

I've bought several Inspires, and all of them worked fine until I updated my DJI Pilot App to version 1.0. something, I believe the app has a bug with the video signal, try to go back to version 0.9.2. And that should fix the issue of your video lag and freeze. Let me now if this helps!
2015-2-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jm.sierra@iclou Posted at 2015-2-28 10:16
I've bought several Inspires, and all of them worked fine until I updated my DJI Pilot App to vers ...

Which platform are you using? Android or Apple? I feel for Pure's frustration.
2015-2-27
Use props
jm.sierra
New

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-28 10:49
Which platform are you using? Android or Apple? I feel for Pure's frustration.

im using Apple version 0.9.2
2015-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules