New Drone not recognizing SD Card
24138 23 2017-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

I'm wondering if its time to throw in the towl on using DJI products.  This is my second one in the last month.  I'm getting exhausted spending so much time online with tech support and returning products.  The first was returned because of a memory card issue.  Now the new one came in the mail and I cannot get it to recognize any memory cards.  Any suggestions?  Tech support is worthless, all they tell me is to do a factory reset no matter what the issue is.
2017-2-23
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

Just a quick question before saying too much ......................... does the drone recognize the SD card that was shipped with it?
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

tvl Posted at 2017-2-23 07:02
Just a quick question before saying too much ......................... does the drone recognize the SD card that was shipped with it?

After I did a factory reset and selected the card to be erased it worked with the original card.  I took the card out, put it in my computer to test the video and images.  They worked.  Today I put in a new 64 GB card and it won't see it.  So I decided to put the original back in and am getting a voice error telling me there is an SD card error and I need to replace it.
2017-2-23
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

OK ............... let's try this:

1- Insert the ORIGINAL SD card inside the craft ......... (the one that shipped with the drone)
2- Connect your drone to the PC with the USB cable
3- Apply power to the drone
4- The PC should recognize the drone and assign a drive letter
5- Right click on the drive letter of the drone and a drop down will appear - select or click on FORMAT
6- I would recommend a full format and not quick format
7- After the card has been formatted, disconnect everything and see if the card is now recognizable. If so, I would suggest doing the same procedure with the 64 GB card and see if that helps.

If the original card is restored to normal operation by formatting, but the 64 GB card still has issues after formatting, I would think there is something wrong with the 64 GB card.
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

So, I plugged the SD card into my mac directly and formatted it.  Then I did a firmware update on the P4P and its working now.  Thank you.

I'm not sure why tech support would tell me to send it back without at least attempting to resolve the issue.   
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

So I just formatted and tried another card.  Now when I go into the simulator I see the following message, "SD Card Formatting is Recommended".  The card does work though.  Not sure what the deal is.  I'm using exFAT.
2017-2-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom5 Posted at 2017-2-23 08:02
So I just formatted and tried another card.  Now when I go into the simulator I see the following message, "SD Card Formatting is Recommended".  The card does work though.  Not sure what the deal is.  I'm using exFAT.

The card is best formatted in the aircraft as suggested above. And there is also a format option in DJI Go application.
2017-2-23
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

You should,format the card while it is in the craft.  It's not like formatting an sad card is that hard. Let the craft format it, and if it doesn't work then do it with your Mac again.  
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-2-23 08:14
The card is best formatted in the aircraft as suggested above. And there is also a format option in DJI Go application.

There is no difference between formatting the card while plugged into the drone, or plugged into the computer directly.  The drone isn't doing the formatting in either situation, the computer is.  Its formatting it to exFAT, or whatever you select.
2017-2-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom5 Posted at 2017-2-23 08:34
There is no difference between formatting the card while plugged into the drone, or plugged into the computer directly.  The drone isn't doing the formatting in either situation, the computer is.  Its formatting it to exFAT, or whatever you select.

And how do you think this information is written to the SD card ?
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-2-23 08:38
And how do you think this information is written to the SD card ?

What information?

The formatting is done by the computer when you click the drive and choose format.  The drone has absolutely nothing to do with it.  The computer simply recognizes the card in the drone as an external drive to itself.  Its equivalent to sticking in a thumb drive.
2017-2-23
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28678 ft
United States

There can be other specified values put into the formatting procedure defined by the device formatting the card, I. This case the SD interface in the quad it self.
2017-2-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom5 Posted at 2017-2-23 08:34

"The drone isn't doing the formatting in either situation,"

With the SD card in the aircraft its hardware is writing the new format to the SD card. This format should be carried out using the format command in DJI Go. No computer is required. That the computers , be it PC or Mac are using different hardware and software to that supplied by DJI has been known to make a difference when the card format is being read by the aircraft.
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

Sp00nix Posted at 2017-2-23 09:46
There can be other specified values put into the formatting procedure defined by the device formatting the card, I. This case the SD interface in the quad it self.

That would make sense for a camera if you are plugging it in and having it do the formatting.  The drone doesn't have an option to format the card, it can only be used as an external drive.  Is there an option to have the drone format the card directly, which I am not aware of?  Thanks.
2017-2-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom5 Posted at 2017-2-23 10:02
That would make sense for a camera if you are plugging it in and having it do the formatting.  The drone doesn't have an option to format the card, it can only be used as an external drive.  Is there an option to have the drone format the card directly, which I am not aware of?  Thanks.

There is an option in the camera settings in DJI Go to format the SD card on the aircraft. This is also available in the 'Aircraft Status' dropdown.
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-2-23 10:12
There is an option in the camera settings in DJI Go to format the SD card on the aircraft. This is also available in the 'Aircraft Status' dropdown.

Ok, I'll check that out.  However, it does seem to be functioning properly now.  

Thank you.
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

My card doesn't appear to be listed on DJI go.  The only card I see is the one on the remote, and a bunch of settings for cards which are not installed.
2017-2-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom5 Posted at 2017-2-23 11:47
My card doesn't appear to be listed on DJI go.  The only card I see is the one on the remote, and a bunch of settings for cards which are not installed.

Connect and power up all devices and open DJI Go, connect to your aircraft and if you tap on the bar at the top you should see a dropdown entitled 'aircraft status'. If you move to the bottom of the list you should see:-

aircraft status

aircraft status
2017-2-23
Use props
phantom5
lvl.1
United States

I did find it under the camera settings.  It formatted the card perfectly.  Thanks.
2017-2-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom5 Posted at 2017-2-23 12:02
I did find it under the camera settings.  It formatted the card perfectly.  Thanks.

Perfect
2017-2-23
Use props
fanse58532a2
New
United States

tvl Posted at 2017-2-23 07:46
OK ............... let's try this:

1- Insert the ORIGINAL SD card inside the craft ......... (the one that shipped with the drone)

I had the same exact problem.  My Mavic Pro would not recognize the SD Card except the one that came with it (Panasonic 16GB). Customer Service recommended these three only:

1) Lexar 633X Class10 16GB and above MicroSDHC UHS-I SD card
2) Panasonic 16GB and above MicroSDHC UHS-3 SD card
3) Sandisk Extreme 16GB and above MicroSDHC UHS-3 SD card

So I bought the SanDisk Extreme 64GB and the Mavic still said "No SD Card".

After searching the entire internet and coming across this site and the advice above, I finally got it to work.

Thank you to whoever posted this solution.  It works!

Now, if I can only find out why the video is almost whited out (all of a sudden) and doesn't take the clear pictures it did when I first bought it, I should be all set.
2017-4-5
Use props
djiuser_vJmeJITWbsGu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 727119 ft

United States

I'm having the same problem with my inspire 2 I only have 4 flights and they were not even ten minute flights and It's saying sim card not available and avoidance sensors say they are not working but they are. I don't have more than 20 minutes of flight time and I calibrated all my batteries and all 4 lenses and used the calibration  Board.i did the update 4 times to make sure that the batteries were up to date and I calibrated my crystal sky and I get the same thing. I'm going to try a different sim card I have a bunch of them so they all can't be bad I'm also having problems with my mavic pro it keeps disconnecting while I'm flying it .I have the maxx mod with the 3 different antennas and I could fly 3 times farther and never had a problem. I had it set up to fly back home when I would turn off the remote control and I make sure that all my drones are set up like that.
2019-4-27
Use props
Bobaer
New
Denmark

I faced the same problem with a completely new Mini 3 Pro. The reason why the card was not recognized was because the drone was USB connected to my computer.
2022-7-22
Use props
djiuser_zLb5NqKgsG6Q
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119396 ft
France

Newbie here with the Mini MP3.   The drone does not recognize the SD card.  Tried to format in drone connected to fly more app but It will not format what it does not recognize.   Followed this thread to here hoping for a resolution.   
2023-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules