What is expected range?
978 7 2017-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452835 ft
United States

Im curious what kind of range i should expect back to the remote for video. I have a P4 pro and i will get about 1500-1700 feet away and i start getting choppy feeds back to my screen and i get a warning telling me im going to lose video back to my screen. I have the controller with the integrated screen. Im new to this model so hopefully im describing what the remote is telling me accurately enough to get some input. The only reason i ask is because it has a advertised range of something like 4 miles but if you cant get reliable video feed back that far, what good is thst range. Ive never lost control of the aircraft, I just lose video feed to my screen. Thanks for the input.
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha 14,

With the other P3A, P3P, P4 and P4 Pros we are able to go into the HD option (upper right) and change the setting from Auto to Custom.  Custom allows (in the P4 Pro case) a change from 2.4 GHz to 5.8 GHz.  All the noted Phantoms can also choose the strongest channel (when in 2.4 GHz) and reduce the bitrate for the live feed (both frequencies).  This usually cleans up the live feed and increases range.

The biggest problem you may have though is interference.  If you are in a suburban area, most all the wireless phones operate on 2.4 GHz and that is amazing interference.  That is why 5.8 GHz can be very helpful.  Once I could not get past a half mile.  Also transmission lines can really mess you up.

My suggestion is that you look at your problem as an interference issue and work around it.  Also, be sure to install the updates and upgrades so DJI can help you with the issue.  They are aware of the problem and constantly working to make improvements.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
Arvy55
lvl.2

United States

The range of your videolink and control link depends on where you are flying.
Interferance of anykind  can reduce your videolink or control link range.
So if you fly above houses, buildings or city it will mostly give you alot of interferance and reduce your range rapidly.
As for the advertised 3-4 miles range, that is if you are flying in a plain open field without trees high hills, and open water without ships or anykind  that carry radars or whatever..
And weather can also affect your range and visibility while on midflight.
2017-2-23
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-23 23:05
Aloha 14,

With the other P3A, P3P, P4 and P4 Pros we are able to go into the HD option (upper right) and change the setting from Auto to Custom.  Custom allows (in the P4 Pro case) a change from 2.4 GHz to 5.8 GHz.  All the noted Phantoms can also choose the strongest channel (when in 2.4 GHz) and reduce the bitrate for the live feed (both frequencies).  This usually cleans up the live feed and increases range.

That makes sense. I will try changing the setting you mentioned and see if that helps. Have you had any luck with the range extenders that have the gold color parabolic things that slide over the antenna? I have one but i was worried about using it as it says to only use for extended distances as it can compromise your your reception at short range. What is considered long range? Thanks again.
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2017-2-23 23:33
That makes sense. I will try changing the setting you mentioned and see if that helps. Have you had any luck with the range extenders that have the gold color parabolic things that slide over the antenna? I have one but i was worried about using it as it says to only use for extended distances as it can compromise your your reception at short range. What is considered long range? Thanks again.

Aloha 14,

Look into this thread, a fellow 3 posts down with moniker "RicardoGray" mentions the roll-back to 6.0.1.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-86329-1-2.html

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2017-2-23 23:33

Aloha 14,

Look at this thread I made a while ago.  They are great and there is a lot of information in the thread, video, photos, etc.  I am sure the parabolics have helped me with the interference issue.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-60563-1-1.html

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-23 23:42
Aloha 14,

Look at this thread I made a while ago.  They are great and there is a lot of information in the thread, video, photos, etc.  I am sure the parabolics have helped me with the interference issue.

I knew you had to point the parabolics in the direction that your AC was but i didn't know you could, or needed to do all those different configurations. Good stuff, I'll have to play around with it and see what gets me the best results. Thanks
2017-2-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2017-2-24 12:29
I knew you had to point the parabolics in the direction that your AC was but i didn't know you could, or needed to do all those different configurations. Good stuff, I'll have to play around with it and see what gets me the best results. Thanks

Aloha 14,

You do not really have to use the different configurations.  I just have tried them for different types of flying.  The photos are mostly to get people thinking about how parabolics work.  But the penetration in the jungle video really does work.  Dry days are best because there is less water in the leaves to disrupt signals.

Playing around and seeing what works is the best approach.  Keep it up!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules