18150 76 2017-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SteveDickin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So, I got the Mavic Pro a few months ago and I used my OnePlus3 phone to fly and it was wonderful.  This phone is a high spec Android at a reasonable price and it was the phone I had also used on my Phantom 3 Standard.  After a few flights with the Mavic Pro I decided that I needed to invest in a tablet and being an Android man I totally dismissed moving to an Apple device and so scanned the forums for advice.  
One of the first recommendations that I saw was the Samsung Galaxy A 8" and people were saying it was a great device but that you needed the mount adapter.  I invested and after less than one full flight I was back on my OnePlus3, the video was bad on the Samsung, the screen was dull and the device gave errors to return home soon as video was lost.  I had purcahsed the Samsung from Argos and unfortunately they would not take it back as the packaging seal was broken, so I took a loss on that.

The second device that was being heavily recommended was the Nvidia Shield.  Now this device is a great gaming device and I was excited to get it not only for the Mavic but also to link my Steam PC games and play all those android games that I had invested in over the last few years.  Unfortunately Android let me down again on the Mavic Pro side of things, the screen again is not the brightness I wanted, and unfortunately app crashes with the DJI app happened every flight, even on a factory reset with nothing else installed.  Money gone again on user recommended products.  I was back on the OnePlus3 again for the next few flights.  The OnePlus3 by now had also started with the app crashes every flight.

During the process of the above I had been watching eBay and searching the regualar stores in the UK such as Argos, PC World, Currys, Amazon to evaluate if I should consider the iPad Mini 2 or Mini 4.  Both were looking at around £220.00 to £320.00 for the smaller storage devices.  Unfortuantely it looked like the 16gb version isn't made anymore for the Mini 4 so that was looking to be nearer £400

Anyhow to cut to the chase and I hope this makes others aware earlier than what its taken me, I found a seller on eBay selling an almost brand new iPad Mini 4 16gb with official case for £250.00.  Far more than I wanted to pay after the first 2 disasters, but I really wanted to fly the Mavic with the best equipemt possible, so I bought it outright.

I flew the Mavic Pro today with the iPad Mini 4 and let me tell you all, its an absolute different experience.  Its wonderful, its clear, its lag free, it didn't crash, its like flying in the front seat of the Mavic and where I used to be a little nervous in the air I felt like I had 100% control mof everything the craft was doing and filming.

If you are considering moving to the iPad Mini 4, then stop considering and do it.  I wish I had seen this post before I made all my other investments.  I do appreciate that DJI do not have the Andoid devices on their reccommended device list, but I trusted user recommendations and made some expensive errors from that.  Hope this helps others who are unsure.
2017-2-24
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

I use the Mini 4 with my Mavic and it's superb.
2017-2-24
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I've given serious though to this as well but it looks like holding the controller with an ipad mini is awkward.
2017-2-24
Use props
Blackline
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5029167 ft
United States

thats why you get a tablet holder for the controller, makes it a lot nicer.
2017-2-24
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-24 10:41
I've given serious though to this as well but it looks like holding the controller with an ipad mini is awkward.

I am going through the same situation, went through two phones and two tablets, however I am waiting for crystal sky to see how the price compares.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-24
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

I decided to just upgrade my phone to the iPhone 7+ and I am pleased with using it.
2017-2-24
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

better than Iphone 6 plus?
2017-2-24
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

The iPad mini 4 fits in the Mavic controller arms no problem at al.
2017-2-24
Use props
Craig540
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1292339 ft
  • >>>
United States

Airobotix Posted at 2017-2-24 10:20
I use the Mini 4 with my Mavic and it's superb.

I used iPad mini 4 and it is perfect size and has not had any glitches.
The only thing wrong is i repossessed it from my wife and it is rose gold with a pink case..
2017-2-24
Use props
Craig540
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-24 10:41

Actually it is very comfortable. I come from model RC planes and helicopters and its just like holding a JR or Futaba radio.
2017-2-24
Use props
Craig540
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Blackline Posted at 2017-2-24 10:54
thats why you get a tablet holder for the controller, makes it a lot nicer.

Now the tablet holder is awkward. It makes the ipad like its in the way if you want to look at the controller.
2017-2-24
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-24 11:12

I can't say since I've not used a 6+ but the camera on the 7+ is pretty awesome. It has an optical zoom lens and uses both lenses in portrait mode to blur the background while the subject is in focus.

I previously used a 6S for my drones so the 7+ having the larger screen and being a bit brighter was an upgrade for me. I just wish there was a way to screen record without using some hokey side-installed app from unknown developers. I don't trust it.
2017-2-24
Use props
dbsanders
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450338 ft
United States

Craig540 Posted at 2017-2-24 13:51
Now the tablet holder is awkward. It makes the ipad like its in the way if you want to look at the controller.

There is an interesting one on Etsy that doesn't block the screen.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/487009541/dji-mavic-7-8-tablet-adapter

But do you have a need to look at the controller while flying?

Getting my Mavic on Monday!
2017-2-25
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Totally agree with the iPad Mini 4 solution.  I've only had my Mavic for 2 weeks but at the end of the first week, I knew wedging my iPhone 7 Plus was not a good solution.  I picked up the iPad Mini 4 yesterday - what a tremendous difference.  It fits the controller arms perfectly and the display is outstanding.
2017-2-25
Use props
ExiledBlue
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5928881 ft
Thailand

I use an iPad Mini 2, totally brilliant, would recommend it to anyone.

Just need a sunshade for it now though!...Anyone got any recommendations?

I have the official DJI one, but I am not impressed at all.
2017-2-25
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-24 11:12

I use the 6s+ with no issues...
2017-2-25
Use props
cokie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 701109 ft
New Zealand

Thank you Steve I am onto it .............
2017-2-25
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

I have a IPhone 7+ but prefer the Ipad Mini 4 for the larger screen size and no interruptions by people calling you mid flight.
2017-2-26
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 464531 ft
Italy

Spent money for a Nexus 7 II. It was ok until I upgraded to Marshmallow. I nearly lost my P4 because of an app crash on the Nexus. Moved to my Xperia Z2 phone. All ok until I switched from DJI Go App 3 to DJI Go 4. A couple of days ago I experienced the first app crash even in that phone, which before has proven to be very robust. Indeed, even after the crash the app restarted quickly, but those crashes contribute to give the owner a sensation of unstability that is not pleasant.
2017-2-28
Use props
Stuartw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118281 ft
United Kingdom

Having discounted anything non - apple ....

I'm confused by Pimp dawg and The rev ..... posting opposing thoughts on the iPhone 7 plus v iPad mini 4.
I have been led to believe that although the mini iPad 4 has a little more screen area, the iPhone 7 plus has a way brighter / more "energetic" display. Is this not the "ultimate " route?

If anyone else has any comments I'd be pleased to read them.
2017-3-1
Use props
Stuartw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118281 ft
United Kingdom

The Rev Posted at 2017-2-26 04:47
I have a IPhone 7+ but prefer the Ipad Mini 4 for the larger screen size and no interruptions by people calling you mid flight.

heard of "airplane mode" ?
2017-3-1
Use props
out2sea71
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I use a IPAD mini 3 and it is great.  It slides into the arms of the controller well and I use a smaller lightning cable with 90 angled ends.  The biggest issue is the glare from the sun.  As soon as a good shade can be devised It will be the best.
2017-3-1
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Stuartw Posted at 2017-3-1 02:48

Airplane mode turns off cellular data.  So, only cached maps.  Probably still ok, but personally I fully understand the inconvenience of an incoming call mid-flight, don't want to cache maps unless absolutely necessary, and could see the advantage of tethering a mini non-cellular to an iPhone to take advantage of data without the interruption of an incoming call on the mini.

I have looked for ways to direct incoming calls directly to voice mail so that data was still available.  I have not figured out how to do that yet on an iPhone on a Verizon network.  That would work using an iPhone if I could figure out the magic formula to make it happen.......
2017-3-1
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like the iPad Mini 4 but so far not particularly pleased with some of the holders.
2017-3-1
Use props
Infidex
New

Portugal

I'm convinced I need to purchase an iPAD mini 4, just can't justify the expense on a cellular version for only using it to fly my drones.  Seems to be some good deals on eBay, looking for one on there under 300 bucks in great shape.  Look forward to seeing how the experience is on a bigger screen.
2017-3-1
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Rumor has it, that there may be a new iPad launching this month, so there may be a better option if you wait it out. Or if you wait and the new iPad launches this will drop prices of the older versions.
2017-3-1
Use props
BlazeAir
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Do you have to get a tablet holder to fit the ipad 4 mini on the Mavic? Sorry I am late to this convo, but super interested.
2017-3-1
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

As much as I find apple products to just be overpriced and not quite as versatile as their competitors, I broke down and ordered and IPAD 4 based on this post.  Seems like too many people complaining about Android unfortunately, even though I find Android superior to Apple.  I own a Nexus 6p and wish I could have just used that.  I ordered my mavic last week, hopefully will have it next week . . .
2017-3-1
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BlazeAir Posted at 2017-3-1 08:49
Do you have to get a tablet holder to fit the ipad 4 mini on the Mavic? Sorry I am late to this convo, but super interested.

No, the iPad mini 2, 3 or 4 will fit in the controller just fine.  You can consider buying a new lightning cable, one shorter than supplied with the ipad and with a right angled connector.  But you can live with the longer cable at first.
2017-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I'm using iPhone 7, I am waiting for crystalsky, I think they are still working on the design for this as it looks from pictures it will need a holder of some sort , it's a waiting game. Have used my wife's iPad mini 4 works just fine..
2017-3-1
Use props
nszasz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1623071 ft
  • >>>
Japan

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-1 10:15
I'm using iPhone 7, I am waiting for crystalsky, I think they are still working on the design for this as it looks from pictures it will need a holder of some sort , it's a waiting game. Have used my wife's iPad mini 4 works just fine..

I have a IPad mini 4 - wifi only version. About to get delivery of Mavic.
Do I need to download google maps or something before using with the a Mavic?
The DJI app of course. Just want to know if there are any issues using a wifi only iPad.

Thanks
2017-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

nszasz Posted at 2017-3-1 10:51
I have a IPad mini 4 - wifi only version. About to get delivery of Mavic.
Do I need to download google maps or something before using with the a Mavic?
The DJI app of course. Just want to know if there are any issues using a wifi only iPad.

You can just use your phone as a hotspot for maps, alternatively you can cache maps, I find just using the iPad using hotspot works fine.

Oh yes just download google maps on the iPad.
2017-3-1
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

Stuartw Posted at 2017-3-1 02:48

Yes but It needs to be on as I am oncall
2017-3-1
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077618 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had been using a phone for the 6 weeks since my Mavic arrived, it worked fine. I spent most of that time getting a handle on how to fly the thing. When I started concentrating on filming (What I bought it for), I realized how inadequate the size was and the location of the screen under the controls: I found it to be a fight to accurately frame the scene while flying and filming.

After considering a lot of options, including waiting for CrystalSky, I bought an Ipad Mini 4 (128GB) and a tabilet support designed for it: BOY WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!

I would recommend it as the screen of choice. Hotspot it to your phone and you can still answer calls.
2017-3-1
Use props
BlazeAir
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-3-1 09:53
No, the iPad mini 2, 3 or 4 will fit in the controller just fine.  You can consider buying a new lightning cable, one shorter than supplied with the ipad and with a right angled connector.  But you can live with the longer cable at first.

Cool to know. Thanks!
2017-3-1
Use props
bakabon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46473 ft
United States

this thread is useless without photo. Photo of the set up anyone?

also, Where to get the longer cable for iPad ?

cheers!
2017-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bakabon Posted at 2017-3-1 13:18

http://store.dji.com/product/rc-cable#/?_k=yd5mmx
2017-3-1
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The thread has certainly not been useless from the responses I have seen since I started it.  I am sure someone will kindly answer your question and post a photo showing the iPad on the Mavic controller.
2017-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think you'll like PGYTECH DJI Mavic Pro Accessoriess 7-10 Pad Mobile Phone Holder aluminum Flat Bracket tablte stander Parts RC drones quadcopter. Add it to your wishlist!

http://www.wish.com/c/58536c3b810891206cf3d666
2017-3-1
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

out2sea71 Posted at 2017-3-1 04:44
I use a IPAD mini 3 and it is great.  It slides into the arms of the controller well and I use a smaller lightning cable with 90 angled ends.  The biggest issue is the glare from the sun.  As soon as a good shade can be devised It will be the best.

in my opinion, the Hi-Aerial hoods are the best on the market......Here is the link:

Hi-Aerial Hoods
2017-3-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules