Does the forum have general confidence in the Inspire?
1411 13 2015-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
casrat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24718 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't had any problems yet and.....I feel like it's my turn. That's a negative attitude but the misfortunes of others is hard to ignore. I have confidence in my ability to fly safely. I can get some great results flying conservatively under 200 feet. I understand the machine and its features and safety mechanisms. But, everytime I fly I am nervous that it will fail all of a sudden. I have no reason to feel that way other than the crashes I read about on the forum. Seems to me that these things can be like domesticated animals: one day they decide "enough" and they bite back or fly away. Honestly, losing $3,000 would be the least of my worries if it flies into a window or crashes onto people.  

We read about plane crashes but we fly commercially anyway. It's a statistics thing, we decide it's safe to fly in an airliner. I wonder how many Inspires have been sold and how many have had catatrophic failure. Not the annoying stuff but genuine fly-aways, falling like a rock, motor failure in flight, etc.  And I mean with no pilot error. I want to know - if it can be known - how safe are these drones from a built/crashed ratio?  I wonder if DJI would release that number. I want flying to be enjoyable, not constantly waiting, listening, hoping, watching..."pleeeeeease don't fly-away, pleeeeease don't crash".

2015-2-22
Use props
snathla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simple answer is "YES" from my perspective. Follow the checklist and fly the bird. I have had quite a few flights and only ran into one issue that I managed to catch and continue to fly without bringing the Inspire down. Having said this, this is technology and anything can happen, pilot error, system error, other issues.

My opinion, start slow and build your confidence and enjoy the Inspire soar. It is a terrific platform.
2015-2-22
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 795633 ft
Canada

I am a first time flyer.  I have had a small amount of practice on a smaller craft, but am relatively new to the hobby.  I finally found a window in the weather to allow for my maiden flight on Friday.  I was very nervous, but upon take off I instantly felt comfortable with the A/C.  Even at my level I have confidence in my Inspire because I took the time to do the reading and familiarize myself with all the known issues.  I look forward to my next flight!  
2015-2-22
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

Yes !! Very Much So.  In my humble opinion most of the problems reported have been beginner issues and Inspire is not a good UAS for beginners and a lot of guys bought Inspire for their first UAS.  I see fly aways being report by guys who start the conversation with" I was testing to see how far out I could fly my Inspire" Its never a good idea to put the engineering limits to the test or fly beyond visual contact. If you go back the early days of the Phantom forums  you read about flyaways and crashes and a lot of the same issues.  
2015-2-22
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not yet I don't.  Maybe down the road went more of the bugs have been fixed.  My hex with the A2 is solid and I can take it out over a mile and not worry about it but it had its bugs at first also.  The Inspire will get there also.  It just needs time.
2015-2-22
Use props
CoastalBird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 692041 ft
United States

I have grown more and more confident of the system after using two separate Inspire 1s in both single and dual controller modes.  So much so, in fact, that I'm regularly flying it over water.  I'm actually more concerned about pilot error than anything else.  Aside from a little bit of drift in GPS mode from time to time, I've not experienced the first problem.  Take the precautions for clear space around the A/C when taking off or landing, and never consider anything too obvious for safety's sake.

Here's some footage of two Inspires working the same shots (shot just this morning):  
2015-2-22
Use props
roy86au
lvl.3

Australia

Like with all new tech, I do not fully trust the inspire. I won't let it fly > 300m away and it is always in LOS.

There has been some abnormal behaviour which I report back to DJI with, but as long as it is flown safely and all checks are completed before/during each flight, I'm confident it will stay in the air and perform well. I'll keep flying it as it is a great aircraft and waiting for further firmware and software updates.
2015-2-22
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

So far, the Inspire is the UAV of my dreams. I have modified and flown quite a few Phantom 2's and the last version (v3) was the best yet. But out came the Inspire with all the FPV capabilities I could hope for. It is very easy to control and the app has a lot of information that can warn you of possible problems. I prefer the DJI camera to the Hero 4. I find the DJI product more reliable...and I prefer the non-fisheye lens.I have approximately 100 flights with the Inspire. I have flown over 3000ft. away, which is my personal limit.
2015-2-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

I would like to say YES!
2015-2-22
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

I just came back from flying mine and had a blast.  Cruising high at moderate speed is great fun.  Just half km distance runs in wind free conditions.  Did a few full pitch runs at about 100 meters up and was reminded how well it holds altitude. Did some return to home tests and that worked out well.  It has been a few weeks and a few dozen flights since the one issue I had.   After calibrating the compass today I was immediately asked by the Pilot App to calibrate IMU...a message about the bias.  I have never been prompted to do that before when using prior iOS Pilot App versions.  In the right conditions and from a high ridge, I will take it out to its recommended limits.

I agree with the last poster.  Trust but verify.  That being said I am gaining trust and continue to be amazed at how it responds to subtle commands.

Dan

2015-2-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Well my post lacked luster like yours did Dan
2015-2-22
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

svencool Posted at 2015-2-23 08:02
Well my post lacked luster like yours did Dan

Haha Mike are you calling me lustrous?   At least you get right to the point mate    I had such fun today that I couldn't wait to babble on about it
2015-2-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Well I've never liked beating around the bush hahaha But on a serious note.... Dan you having such fun translates into you just doing more than charging the batteries and throwing it into the air lol..... These are high tech aircraft and people have to understand there's more to life than whats in that quick start guide.... Sorry DJI
2015-2-22
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am not confident in this bird (It's name is BloodHawk - "She sounds hideous" - "yeah well it's a guy so".. American insurance commercial those in the states will get the joke)  (I've flown my 3 -PV2"s many times but the inspire has had too many issues) I am going to fly mine tomorrow, Did an advanced IMU all looks good C1 & C2 I have set as pan and reset for camera use.
will post on youtube as CrabHawk
2015-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules