940 6 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droney McDronef
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I took my Mavic to a friends house the other day to help map his back garden for landscaping.
2-3 meters from the ground after takeoff, The app suddenly warned me that i had reached my maximum flight altitude!
My maximum altitude in the app is set to 100m so i was obviously well bellow this.

The more concerning part was that as soon as it gave me the altitude warning, The craft began to move to the right by itself! There was absoloutely no wind or stick input to cause this.
Luckily i was able to pull the craft down into long grass before it could get very far away from me.
I have flown a dozen times before without incident so it was pretty scary to see it suddenly behave this way.

I had 9 satelites and homelock before takeoff.

On a second attempt, the craft tookoff normally without issue..

Wondering if any one else has seen anything like this or can explain what might have happened..?
2017-2-25
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

send in your logs for evalution
2017-2-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Sounds like you took off in ATTI mode, your logs will tell you.
2017-2-25
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

if it just took off in atti there should not be a problem...changing from atti to gps should be smooth...also having barometer error and drifting it is not ok...vps also should be kicking and keeping quad stable at that altitude...I think some sort of glitch happened....
2017-2-25
Use props
Edd 209
New

United Kingdom

I've a similar question,both me and my co piolet have taken our drones to 120m altitude,in the flight records under max takeoff altitude mine says 151.4 m and his says 268.3 m but both show 120m in the actual flight path record?
2017-2-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Mine does this nearly each time when I start my flight in the garage. As I'm going down the sloped driveway, it says Max altitude reached. But then the GPS gets enough locks & I'm fine. Also the home point gets recorded. I make sure that is at the end of the driveway for a good spot.
2017-2-26
Use props
Droney McDronef
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Looking at the flight record it appears i did take off with poor GPS signal. I could have sworn i had home lock as i waited for the normal amount of time it usually takes and thought i had seen the sequence of green flashes. should have triple checked the HUD.

Anyway it was in OPTI mode which explains the maximum altitude and why I've never seen that before as i never fly in OPTI mode.

The sudden drift to the right must have been the GPS kicking in and averaging out some margin of error..? watching the flight record playback, That appears to be the point at which it suddenly veered to the right.
If i had not bought the craft down immediately, it likely would have stopped as it settled on it's gps location.  I wasn't going to wait to find out.

Lesson learnt. Switching between flight modes certainly doesn't seem to be as seamless as i would have expected..
2017-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules