12Next >
4656 56 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rapfife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160102 ft
United States

So my buddy has the Autel X Star. it has no limit on height. he has taken it to well over 2000 feet above take off point. Certainly not up to par with the Phantoms, but not too bad either.
Before you all start lecturing about rules and safety, i absolutely believe in flying responsibly.
I do a lot of nature photography. I am in the mountains quite a bit. The 1640 foot limit is killing me.
If i want to get a panoramic shot of the cliffs at Apache Leap I top out about 300' below the rim.
Not the shot i am looking for. I sure wish someone would figure out how to get above 1640 feet.
If a lesser drone can do it, why can't DJI P4P?
2017-2-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you want that shot so bad go hire a helicopter, and you will be legal as well....
2017-2-25
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh man you're about to get ripped apart.  But I'm with yah bro. We'd all LIKE to do it.  However those of us who have a business can't afford to do this for legal reasons.  Now some of the Part 107 laws have helped us out when surveying larger buildings.  For the most part though man, fly at your own risk and I'd actually delete your post right now and go to the phantom Pilots forum where they may be more friendly about the situation.  Again,  if you ain't judging me I ain't judging you bro,  just telling you there are some people on here that will come down on you.
2017-2-25
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-2-25 06:21
Oh man you're about to get ripped apart.  But I'm with yah bro. We'd all LIKE to do it.  However those of us who have a business can't afford to do this for legal resions.  Now some of the Part 107 laws have helped us out when sureverying larger buildings.  FOr the most part though man, fly at your own risk and I'd actually delete your post right now and go to the phantom Pilots forum where they may be more friendly about the situation.  Again,  if you ain't judguing me I ain't judging you bro,  just telling you ther are some people on here that will come down on you.

The perfect example of what i'm talking about.  
2017-2-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You can get your shot with a P2V or P2V+

Another idea is to find a safe place to land up there somewhere.  Stop the props.  Reset your home point.  Start up the props.  Launch.  That might work, I'm not sure.  

2017-2-25
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-25 06:31
You can get your shot with a P2V or P2V+

Yah I remember when there were no official laws on books.  I HATED those phantom 2 gimbals.  They were always breaking with that flimsy ribbon cable and repairs always took months!!   However,  they ran like an absolute TANK when they were working.  I had one Phantom 2 that fell 100 feet out of the sky.  Of course the gimbal broke, but I'll tell,  not one broken part on the aircraft.  The Phantom 2 is a beast, oh yah, and it can get up there up there.....
2017-2-25
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

The P2 was perfect for that - only issue is you didn't really know where you were. The P4 could probably go as much as 5000 ft or higher, if there wasn't a technical limitation in the software. Even if it is an interesting topic for exploration, this is for sure not the place to talk about circumventing technical safety limitations - so good luck! And be safe.
2017-2-25
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-25 06:17
If you want that shot so bad go hire a helicopter, and you will be legal as well....

Or just find a higher point to launch from. 10200 feet max altitude on this flight.

2017-2-25
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Getting up there is half the fun

2017-2-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-25 07:50
Or just find a higher point to launch from. 10200 feet max altitude on this flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIthRK_pw1o

Fantastic video blackcrusader, great job thanks for sharing,

You need big lungs to be up there, lol
2017-2-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-2-25
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-25 07:55
Fantastic video blackcrusader, great job thanks for sharing,

You need big lungs to be up there, lol

I live up this way so have great opportunities.

2017-2-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-25 08:05
I live up this way so have great opportunities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fuVY6ePP4o

Love the music..
2017-2-25
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Amazing images & landscape!
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136273 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-25 07:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIthRK_pw1o

Great views from up there. Nice!
2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

TheDennisWagner Posted at 2017-2-27 01:17
Great views from up there. Nice!

Thanks.   I plan on doing a sunrise at the same location this summer or maybe even earlier.
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136273 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-27 04:38
Thanks.   I plan on doing a sunrise at the same location this summer or maybe even earlier.

That would be very cool. I look forward to seeing it.
2017-2-27
Use props
Visalia Califor
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the post I'll be looking at the Autel X Star. I don't think DJI should have put a height limit on the drone. If you fly responsibly it doesn't matter how high you go. We need to have some pilots weigh in on this issue as all pilots fly with a flight plan and that plan is from airport to airport which is a flight path. Flight paths are pretty much all the same which is air port to airport in a straight line with various altitudes for N,S,E,W traffic. If you don't live by an airport and aren't in a flight path there is pretty much zero chance of your drone which you can't really fly at real aircraft heights anyway to ever hit a manned air craft. This whole take away your freedom based on the guise of safety is getting way way out of hand. People need to put their foot down. The REAL REASON you should not fly your drone at above 2000ft is because of windspeed. The windspeed on the ground could be zero but at altitude could be 60+knots easy which would bring your drone down in a hurry.

I'm sure there people getting wound up about this thinking. What about search and rescue, or crop dusting or helicopters. Ya why dont you get you and your friend and get your drones out and put them at around 1000ft and TRY to hit them into each other. You will be there all day. Uncomupter assisted mid air collisions are highly unlikely.
2017-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Visalia Califor Posted at 2017-2-27 15:33
Thanks for the post I'll be looking at the Autel X Star. I don't think DJI should have put a height limit on the drone. If you fly responsibly it doesn't matter how high you go. We need to have some pilots weigh in on this issue as all pilots fly with a flight plan and that plan is from airport to airport which is a flight path. Flight paths are pretty much all the same which is air port to airport in a straight line with various altitudes for N,S,E,W traffic. If you don't live by an airport and aren't in a flight path there is pretty much zero chance of your drone which you can't really fly at real aircraft heights anyway to ever hit a manned air craft. This whole take away your freedom based on the guise of safety is getting way way out of hand. People need to put their foot down. The REAL REASON you should not fly your drone at above 2000ft is because of airspeed. The airspeed on the ground could be zero but at altitude could be 60+knots easy which would bring your drone down in a hurry.

I'm sure there people getting wound up about this thinking. What about search and rescue, or crop dusting or helicopters. Ya why dont you get you and your friend and get your drones out and put them at around 1000ft and TRY to hit them into each other. You will be there all day. Uncomupter assisted mid air collisions are highly unlikely.

Sorry, but that is total claptrap. And it is because of people like you that hold these stupid, immature and downright dangerous attitudes that DJI limit the maximum height of their aircraft, simply a case of you are too stupid to keep out of trouble so we will do it for you.
2017-2-27
Use props
Visalia Califor
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-27 15:46
Sorry, but that is total claptrap. And it is because of people like you that hold these stupid, immature and downright dangerous attitudes that DJI limit the maximum height of their aircraft, simply a case of you are too stupid to keep out of trouble so we will do it for you.

Sorry my friend but you will do nothing for me. It isn't your business or your right. How about I ride in your backseat of your car and every time you go over the posted speed limit I let off an airhorn in your ear.
2017-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Visalia Califor Posted at 2017-2-27 15:53
Sorry my friend but you will do nothing for me. It isn't your business or your right. How about I ride in your backseat of your car and every time you go over the posted speed limit I let off an airhorn in your ear.

I don't mind what you say, you have already clearly demonstrated a lack of understanding about how drones work, and made your irresponsible position known, so I have therefore written you off *mod removed offensive content*
2017-2-27
Use props
Visalia Califor
lvl.2
United States

I love how people post links to all the news articles of how drones have collided with manned aircraft resulting in damage or loss of life.. Oh that's right they can't because it has rarely if ever has happened.
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

Hey Visalia- there are resident tools here like "Hallmark" who will
come down on you unnecessarily. They liken themselves to hall monitors and shills. Just ignore them. You have good points, but those who are "thought challenged" won't appreciate that.

I often fly at 1640ft and I fly at night, day, morning, evening, etc. I almost always fly beyond line of sight during all those times. Sometimes, to be discreet, I recommend putting black electrical tape over the lights when flying at night.

Now cue Hallmark whose face will turn red and he will attempt to give a Clownstick response full of criticism.

If you need to get around NFZ zones, coptersafe.com makes some hard wired chips that are easy to install and will remove all NFZ zones as well. If you ask them, I believe they make an altitude chip as well that will allow you to bypass the 1640ft and go well up into 7000-8000ft.
2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Visalia Califor Posted at 2017-2-27 15:33
Thanks for the post I'll be looking at the Autel X Star. I don't think DJI should have put a height limit on the drone. If you fly responsibly it doesn't matter how high you go. We need to have some pilots weigh in on this issue as all pilots fly with a flight plan and that plan is from airport to airport which is a flight path. Flight paths are pretty much all the same which is air port to airport in a straight line with various altitudes for N,S,E,W traffic. If you don't live by an airport and aren't in a flight path there is pretty much zero chance of your drone which you can't really fly at real aircraft heights anyway to ever hit a manned air craft. This whole take away your freedom based on the guise of safety is getting way way out of hand. People need to put their foot down. The REAL REASON you should not fly your drone at above 2000ft is because of windspeed. The windspeed on the ground could be zero but at altitude could be 60+knots easy which would bring your drone down in a hurry.

Collisions unlikely but still possible.  I was flying at same location with Dronesmeg.  We were talking to each other and have each others drones in our video's. We did not collide as we fly at separate heights.

Watch to end of video.  Then tell me it's not possible to hit another drone.

2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Now watch at beginning of video.   No chance you say?  Yet here we are 2 people flying at the same location but in communication talking about height and distance and knowing where we both are. Firstly we have height separation which is the easiest way. But what if there had been 10 people with drones at this spot flying at the same time?

2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Notwithstanding that there has to be a limit that would also be enforced because some person would simply try to fly so high they would not have enough battery power to come home. We saw that in another thread where a pilot with 35% battery left decided to fly to max height and double his distance.  His drone went to critical and auto landed, into a nice large body of water.

Now he wants DJI to cough up a new drone for him blaming DJI for letting him fly like that.
2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

CrookedHorizon= Posted at 2017-2-27 17:39
Hey Visalia- there are resident tools here like "Hallmark" who will
come down on you unnecessarily. They liken themselves to hall monitors and shills. Just ignore them. You have good points, but those who are "thought challenged" won't appreciate that.

SO you use black tape instead of just turning off your lights with the app. Not very bright then are you?
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

Back lights. Now who's the idiot?
2017-2-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unfortunately that's what we all have to live with, unless you can get further up the hill, or experiment as somebody suggested by landing so far up and reset home point.

One limitation is its ceiling of 6000m (19,685 feet), but the limiting factor there would be the battery.
2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Aardvark Posted at 2017-2-27 18:55
Unfortunately that's what we all have to live with, unless you can get further up the hill, or experiment as somebody suggested by landing so far up and reset home point.

One limitation is its ceiling of 6000m (19,685 feet), but the limiting factor there would be the battery.

YUp would be extremely cold and below the battery recommended max -10c operating temp. Battery could struggle to get to operating temperature.
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-27 19:53
YUp would be extremely cold and below the battery recommended max -10c operating temp. Battery could struggle to get to operating temperature.

"Minimum" operating temperature, Genius.
2017-2-27
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.2

United States

Actaully Geebax,  DJI,  if my email from them was correct,  is actually petitioning for more leniency in North American skies.  Sometimes extreme views can find middle ground.   It's just hypothetical for most people, like myself, I really don't see the harm in talking shop about a drones capabilites.  In America, flying out in the dessert and being limited to 400 feet is kind of ridiculous to be honest. *mod removed offensive content*
2017-2-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

24ctDrone Posted at 2017-2-27 22:42
Actaully Geebax,  DJI,  if my email from them was correct,  is actually petitioning for more leniency in North American skies.  Sometimes extreme views can find middle ground.   It's just hypothetical for most people, like myself, I really don't see the harm in talking shop about a drones capabilites.  In America, flying out in the dessert and being limited to 400 feet is kind of ridiculous to be honest.  (and yes Hallmark007 is likely a 12 year kid who has limited forum time or an incredibly odd adult who craves discipline )...

Krankie........
2017-2-28
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Don't use my name in vain Mr. Walker  I don't see the point in trying to get everyone banned.  However if that is your prerogative then so be it,  it's your right.
2017-2-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-2-28 14:11
Don't use my name in vein Mr. Walker  I don't see the point in trying to get everyone banned.  However if that is your prerogative then so be it,  it's your right.

Can you explain what all that is about?
2017-2-28
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Explain what Geebax?  
2017-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-2-28 14:11
Don't use my name in vain Mr. Walker  I don't see the point in trying to get everyone banned.  However if that is your prerogative then so be it,  it's your right.

Your trolling again, it's time now you quit.
2017-2-28
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-28 14:55
Your trolling again, it's time now you quit.

Going through an entire forum,  pushing thumbs down and attacking other users for their views is the definition of trolling.  I suggest you leave me alone,  and I'll do the same.  If others don't like your comments too,  don't put that on me.
2017-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-2-28 14:57
Going through an entire forum,  pushing thumbs down and attacking other users for their views is the definition of trolling.  I suggest you leave me alone,  and I'll do the same.  If others don't like your comments too,  don't put that on me.

I didn't attack anyone, I also didn't write stuff leave it out there and then try to delete it , just back off now, your just trying to cause trouble,
2017-2-28
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-28 15:06
I didn't attack anyone, I also didn't write stuff leave it out there and then try to delete it , just back off now, your just trying to cause trouble,

Mr. Walker,   you got Crooked Horizon banned,  you got me banned,  you have helped get others banned.   The only reason why people are changing their words is because of your own sensatvities. Many people have pointed this out (and have been subsequently banned).  We even tried to avoid you (your comments above).  So we can deal with facts or fiction but you are the one who mentioned me twice in this thread without response.  Now you got one,  and don't like it.  You can't have it both ways.  One thing I will promise you however,  if you leave me alone, I will in turn return the favor.
2017-2-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules