GAP On Video Recording > 9 Mins
1010 6 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marauderz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Malaysia

So I've just come off my first recording session with the Osmo+ using the latest firmware.
I noticed that even though my MicroSD was already formatted to exFAT, the Osmo decided to split the files at 9 minute intervals.
That is FINE.

What is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLY NOT FINE is the fact that there's a NOTICABLE GAP BETWEEN THE FILES!

This is a REALLY MAJOR ISSUE DJI, and I'm shocked to see that this has been a problem for a long time. I would not have but the Osmo AT ALL if I knew about this bug in the first place. If this isn't a priority to be fixed in the next firmware, THEN IT PROBABLY SHOULD BE!
2017-2-25
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

I had the exact same reaction. Only camera in the world that I'm aware of that suffers a loss of footage in its spans.  

Don't hold your breath on a fix. I did some research and found that the complaint goes back at least a year. My guess is that it's a hardware limitation and they can't fix it (or don't care). How do you feel being sold a "4K camera with a 30min record time"?  

That's the other thing I don't get.  Why bother putting the hard stop at 30mins if the max the thing can record in one file is 14min in 1080p/30? Doesn't make sense unless it's a Euro tax avoidance tactic.
2017-2-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Yes, it's an issue our R&D is aware since the inception of the Osmo series.  Unfortunately there's no way to solve it.
2017-2-27
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-27 00:37
Yes, it's an issue our R&D is aware since the inception of the Osmo series.  Unfortunately there's no way to solve it.

Thanks for making that clear DJI-Thor.  If a camera limitation can't be corrected it's helpful to know so customers can make informed decisions.
2017-2-27
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

BTW DJI-Thor - Have your engineers looked at going to h.265 recording in future products?  It would roughly double the record time at the same file size with much improved resolution and also help the lessen the bandwidth needed for streaming.  
2017-2-27
Use props
Tally-Ho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85194 ft
United Kingdom

This is a serious revelation.  I purchased my Osmo to record live theatre requiring at least 1 hours recording.  My first experience was last week and the Osmo just shut down at 30 minute intervals.
Looking at the footage the split files make the footage useless.

As this restriction has never been included in any Osmo sales materials, I believe the camera is not fit for purpose and DJI should accept that in such circumstances a return with full refund should be allowed.  I also purchased all the additional items and a case which are equally useless if the camera does not function accordingly.
2017-2-27
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tally-Ho Posted at 2017-2-27 15:48
This is a serious revelation.  I purchased my Osmo to record live theatre requiring at least 1 hours recording.  My first experience was last week and the Osmo just shut down at 30 minute intervals.
Looking at the footage the split files make the footage useless.

Did you purchase through a dealer or direct from dji? If it was through a local retailer, then you've got no problems if returning - otherwise, good luck.
2017-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules