1234Next >
6702 152 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Not sure how to upload was using latest version of IOS DJI GO.
2017-2-25
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here, we can check it out and help you track it down.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

How do I upload it?
2017-2-25
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

See my link above for instructions.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Okay, but also, I have a track thing on the phone and I sent my friend to see if he can see it at the area, so do I need the phone, or can I upload it to my android.
2017-2-25
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

click on msingers link and follow instruction--the word HERE
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ID3JF6B5EPX9EWVVZLKN/
This is first part of my flight that lands safely.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

I am telling my friend to look around there.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/S4CGOXK1NF65NM4S8CTK/That is my second part of flight when I lost it.

2017-2-25
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It landed in the Syphon Reservoir when the auto land feature was initiated.

LandingSite.jpg
2017-2-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

There is a large fence there. I can never get it back, and autolanding was set at ten percent, and I set it just before to come home. So could you guys send me a replacement.
2017-2-25
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You'll need to talk to DJI about a replacement. However, after reviewing your flight, I'd say there is a 99.9% chance you will not get a replacement under warranty.
2017-2-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

You'd have to file a claim with DJI and send them your flight data.  They'll look at it and decide whether the product failed or if you were negligent somehow.  Problem is, you launched with a battery that was not fully charged, and that's a no-no.  That is one of the most common causes of Phantom losses.  

Good luck.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-25 10:53
You'd have to file a claim with DJI and send them your flight data.  They'll look at it and decide whether the product failed or if you were negligent somehow.  Problem is, you launched with a battery that was not fully charged, and that's a no-no.  That is one of the most common causes of Phantom losses.  

Good luck.

I littery finished charging it 30 minutes and then sent it up.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-25 10:51
Is that reservoir full right now?  I googled and there's a local fishing club that have exclusive access, maybe they can get you in to look around for it?

Yes it is full with water, I fly near is most time I fly this route.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-25 10:51
Is that reservoir full right now?  I googled and there's a local fishing club that have exclusive access, maybe they can get you in to look around for it?

What is the fishing club name can find anything.
2017-2-25
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

If you are near Irvine, CA here is the contact information

Irvine Ranch reduced.jpg
2017-2-25
Use props
The Dax
lvl.1

United States

That thing is gone!   Learn from this mistake!
2017-2-25
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-25 10:53

Good luck.

"Problem is, you launched with a battery that was not fully charged, and that's a no-no"

Why is this such an important issue?  I'd have thought you'd just get less flying time till the low battery warning came on and then you'd head for home.
2017-2-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

it's an important issue because we're learned through harsh experience that aircrafts that were launched with partially charged batteries tend to do unexpected things like drop from the sky without warning or auto-land when you least expect it.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-25 12:37
it's an important issue because we're learned through harsh experience that aircrafts that were launched with partially charged batteries tend to do unexpected things like drop from the sky without warning or auto-land when you least expect it.

But then that is a DJI Issue, why dont they fix it. That is not my issue, and it was not addressed in the manual.
2017-2-25
Use props
meedz24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1916 ft
Canada

This thread gives me the chills, sorry for your loss
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Boy I am angry at DJI they need to fix this. How does a battery that is not charged at 100% which will never happen because the cells are never going to be perfect.
2017-2-25
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

I had some errors, but, it never addresses go to charge your battery 100% every time you take off. And It should not autoland randomly. This is the things they should fix, and pay respect for.
2017-2-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-25 11:02
I littery finished charging it 30 minutes and then sent it up.

I'm sorry for your loss. The next best course of action would be to contact the North American Support team in order to have the Go app flight records evaluated. They'll be able to provide further insight as to what happened and if they can assist with recovering the loss of the unit.
2017-2-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-25 12:52
But then that is a DJI Issue, why dont they fix it. That is not my issue, and it was not addressed in the manual.

Sorry, but it is addressed in the manual, although it would be nice if they gave it more emphasis.  Because if you're new, it's easy to say "Well, it'll be okay."  Actually it won't.

Somewhere in there, it'll say "Always launch with a fully charged battery" or words to that effect.  It's a common error among new pilots.  Lots of people have done it, including myself.  You either learn from the experience, read about it happening to somebody else in a forum, or you take DJI at their word when they say "Always launch with a fully charged battery."  

Sorry.

Edit:  Follow Jamie's advice above.  Maybe you'll get lucky.  

2017-2-25
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

I'm with Alec on this one.  35 % battery left and instead of coming home you double you distance from home.  I'd be curious to hear DJI's take on this but your chances of getting a replacement from them is.... well a picture is worth a 1000s words
hell.jpeg
2017-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-25 13:03
Boy I am angry at DJI they need to fix this. How does a battery that is not charged at 100% which will never happen because the cells are never going to be perfect.

You are getting distracted here.
What people are talking about is leaving the battery a week or so and flying with it partially discharged.
That is a bad thing and the % battery indication will not give a good reading of the battery's ability.

From what you said, you flew, landed and flew again.
From the battery's perspective that's just a single flight and your voltage levels look fine.

The big problem with the flight has been described already.
It's flying far away from the home point and high up when the battery is getting quite low.
Just the descent from 1640 feet will require almost 3 minutes.
2017-2-25
Use props
LMGS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 442041 ft
United States

It did what it was supposed to do, you didn't..

2017-2-25
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

Another reason to have insurance. State Farm would just replace it.
2017-2-25
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28678 ft
United States

LMGS Posted at 2017-2-25 16:36
It did what it was supposed to do, you didn't..

I agree with this. Playing with fire sending it out that far in a low battery.
2017-2-25
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Okay...  I'm just trying to clarify here. Your P3S was at 1600' altitude? Was that 1600' above sea level, or above ground level?

If you were 1600' above ground level, then you were already asking for trouble, as the FAA restricts UAVs to a maximum of 400' AGL. If this was the case, then if you do replace your Phantom, please, PLEASE, observe the rules for flying them. The more times someone flaunts these rules, the more likely the FAA and/or local governments are going to add more restrictions on UAVs.

If you don't believe this, then just look at the restrictions already in place in locations such as the National Parks, Arizona State Parks, etc., which have been enacted because of problems caused by irresponsible UAV pilots.
2017-2-25
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

It's a hard way to learn a lesson, but as far as I can see that is all this will be.

Hard to see how that flight plan was VLOS as well as a legal altitude.
2017-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hoomi Posted at 2017-2-25 22:06
Okay...  I'm just trying to clarify here. Your P3S was at 1600' altitude? Was that 1600' above sea level, or above ground level?

If you were 1600' above ground level, then you were already asking for trouble, as the FAA restricts UAVs to a maximum of 400' AGL. If this was the case, then if you do replace your Phantom, please, PLEASE, observe the rules for flying them. The more times someone flaunts these rules, the more likely the FAA and/or local governments are going to add more restrictions on UAVs.

'Okay...  I'm just trying to clarify here. Your P3S was at 1600' altitude? Was that 1600' above sea level, or above ground level?'

The Phantom aircraft has no idea what sea level means.

2017-2-26
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-26 01:17
'Okay...  I'm just trying to clarify here. Your P3S was at 1600' altitude? Was that 1600' above sea level, or above ground level?'

The Phantom aircraft has no idea what sea level means.

Yup it is 1600ft above your launch point.  Where ever that may be.

It has allowed me to fly well over 10000ft altitude for some of my video's.
2017-2-26
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-25 13:07
I had some errors, but, it never addresses go to charge your battery 100% every time you take off. And It should not autoland randomly. This is the things they should fix, and pay respect for.

It is not clear why it decided to auto land, but the battery percent does go from 32 to 29 in 0.2 seconds so I guess there may have been a battery issue that triggered it and maybe DJI would take some responsibility for that if the battery is under warrantee.

After it started to auto land you should have looked down and moved the aircraft horizontally to a suitable landing position, you had plenty of time to move away from the water.  Not doing so seems like pilot error to me moving responsibility for the loss away from DJI, they don't cover water damage under warrantee anyway even if you do find it in the water.  If you had looked down then you would have known where it was landing so could have gone to collect it.

Loss of signal as it got near the ground was presumably due to the signal being blocked by terrain or buildings.

If I reconstruct the missing log, it would have landed at 16% battery.  That means that you only had 6% battery left for the 4,048ft return journey before it would have needed to auto land anyway.  I'm a bit surprised that it hadn't already started an auto return to home, unless it had and you had cancelled it?  

You were definitely risking an auto land at some point on the way home anyway, even if you had returned immediately at top speed and it may quite possibly have auto landed in a worse place than this such as in the middle of traffic on the highway.
2017-2-26
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Hoomi Posted at 2017-2-25 22:06

That is not a law it is a guide afaik from reading many forums.  
2017-2-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

"the battery percent does go from 32 to 29 in 0.2 seconds so I guess there may have been a battery issue that triggered it and maybe DJI would take some responsibility for that if the battery is under warrantee."

??

LiPo's voltage drops as it uses up energy ... as you maintain an attitide or flight setting - as the voltage drops - the amps go up to maintain the WATTS demand.

When the LiPo is at such a low value as 35% - the reduction of % is dramatic. You are in the realms of GET HOME quick boyo or lose it !!

There are many online sites with graphs showing just this sort of scenario ... pushing a battery too far.

I've been flying electrics for many years and before LiPo's took over. I would never risk flying out at that distance with a battery down in the mid 30's charge % ... in fact I'm usually landing at that figure !!

This is a 'LiPo Fuel Table' for standard 4.2V LiPo's and you can see that 35% sits in the middle range of storage voltage for a LiPo. Despite the DJI pack using HV LiPo's of 4.35V - the table below 90% still holds true in fact as well as the storage levels for HV LiPo's.

Storage level for ALL LiPo's of 4.2 and 4.35V max capacity are STILL 3.7 - 3.9V range with 3.8V generally recc'd.
Flight is not advised to push voltage lower than 3.3V in flight to allow 'bounce-back' to 3.7+ ... but 3.3V on your P3S out at that distance and height ???? Suicide.

Sorry KevDrones .......... its a very sad and vicious lesson learnt - but you really did push your battery too far.

I would also suggest if you are going to fly such heights and distances - to set your Battery warning limits a lot higher than you have ... 10% is not going to give you anything !! except a quick landing.

Nigel

2017-2-26
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

GeoffN Posted at 2017-2-25 12:23
"Problem is, you launched with a battery that was not fully charged, and that's a no-no"

Why is this such an important issue?  I'd have thought you'd just get less flying time till the low battery warning came on and then you'd head for home.

HI Kevdrone. Sorry for your loss.  Look it's not that you can never fly a second flight with low battery but you need to understand the risks.  Certainly on 35% you cannot go up into the wild blue yonder at plus 1600ft and expect anything other than you are going to push into an automatic response from your drone. By the way my battery warning for low power for myself is set at 18%.  That is just me ok and my failsafe is set at 15% so it will auto land.

Now see my second flight. I launched at 31% but flew just around my track and field and took some photo's of the kids playing sports for them.  Kid's love a few snap shots.  But see my flight path and height?  I could land at a moments notice.  

I believe you will need to accept your drone loss is pilot error not the fault of DJI.  I've crashed mine, flown on flights with less than 70% power but landing with 20%.   IF you fly to the max fail safe your drone will AUTOLAND where ever it is.  That is what is is meant to do.

Also look at my flight time. With you at 35% and climbing to 1600ft and doubling distance you would be using the same amount of time.  By the time you get there you have no capacity in the battery left for flying anywhere so went to Autoland.  You can cancel that and land manually but in your case seems you ran out of power first.  

http://healthydrones.com/main?fl ... a87&page_id=GENERAL
2017-2-26
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules