is propeller lock a must have? what about self-tight on user Manuel
2637 25 2015-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

The propller fell off from flying, so my inspire 1 dropped like a brick from about 20 feet, one of the arm was broken, also the egg shell of camera was broken too.
so does the propeller lock has to be put on the proppler every time? I flew my phamton 2 v +, never had such an idot issue before. So DJI still call them self-tight propeller without giving a big warn that must put propeller lock on the drone, when user like me switch from phamtom 2 v+ to inspire 1, do not have the habit to put on proppller lock everytime, not every one is perfect, there always gonna be mistake, once forgot to put the lock, the propeller will fall off? What a risk!

What if the damage is from not putting lock on proppller, does DJI should response to it? this is a bug from DJI, however, users are the one to take the risk and pay for the consequence!

so does everyone here put proppller lock on inspire 1?
2015-2-22
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

Once I received them I always use them. Takes no time to install so I've never considered not installing them. It's just part of my pre-flight after I install and hand tighten the props. Sorry about your experience.
2015-2-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

I can't say everyone but I feel pretty confident in saying most people around here were waiting for Prop locks forever! I had 30 flights without them. But I was very cautious with my stick movements and didn't fly in any winds about 10mph.

With that said I now never fly without them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DJI sent them to us for a reason if you don't use them. Well that's on you!!!!! I'm sorry for your experience but in the future I would use the prop locks. Like Bkackman said they are easy to put on and easy to get off... If I'm staying local I don't even take them off...... As a matter of fact mine is sitting next to the computer with them installed and ready to fly lol...

My opinion you would be crazy not to fly with them!!!!! or let me say very cautious hehe

Mike
2015-2-22
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

well, thanks for your reply, I am ordering the second one, now I will put lock on every time, but DJI should not call the propeller as self-tight, they are not, they are self-loose propeller, needs a lock to lock them down.

So the next step is to fight against DJI about the repair since hear lots of negative stories about DJI repair.
2015-2-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

The new upgraded props and retainers will be shipping soon I hope , preordered at intelligent UAS ,carbon reinforced construction with yellow or white safety painted tips  , they are not spin on , they twist and lock on and have an anti back off clip or tab. Under props on thier web site .
2015-2-22
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Howie,

I think as soon as it became an issue most people grounded their Inspire 1 until receiving the locks.   My guess is they accepted warranty claims BEFORE it became public, but might question it since it has been common knowledge for several weeks.

I suppose if you bought it, used it, and never heard about the props flying off then they really should fix it free of charge.  Guess it depends on whether you knew about the problem or not.
2015-2-22
Use props
info.rossfeighe
lvl.1

United States

I've really only read of 2 or 3 people with propellers flying off during flight. You have to tighten them so they're snug by hand not just spin them around like with the P2. How tight were yours? I just received my propeller locks last week and took my first flight with them. Before I received them I flew about 30 flights without them, some even in strong winds and all was fine, I just made sure the propellers were pretty snug before each flight.
2015-2-22
Use props
pablomedrano.ma
lvl.1

Spain

Probably a lot of things together has been the cause of the few cases of loss propeller:
- the cool weather probably cause loss retain force between the motor axis and propeller.
- not to tighten the propellers with some force to block them.
- probably a rapid change in the rotation of the motor by circumstance: like agresive piloting, wind, altitude fast change....
I think that there is few cases than it seems, I flew by years the DJI phantom without problems about loss propeller, anyone knows if a DJI phantom had anytime this same problem? At least one time?
But if DJI take the aware of made the propeller locks fastly, probably is a real founded problem, and not a exception that only happen with some things are evolved....
In this case the solution (the block propellers), are a cheap and really easy solution to avoid risks, so it is, now, a must thing of preflight a.
Good flights

2015-2-23
Use props
tahosrfr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 463182 ft
United States

My understanding  of the necessary use of the locks are because the motors used on the Inspire1 are different than the Phantom. The I1 motors uses  much more braking power than the Phantom. That's why the craft can fly more agile. If the prop is not tightened appropriately there is a chance it could suddenly fly off during one of these maneuvers involving sudden braking.  Make sense?
2015-2-23
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Post pictures of the damage to your Inspire please.
2015-2-23
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should have received a set from the source of your purchase. DJI sent them to all of their Dealers and those that purchased direct from DJI would have received a set from them.
2015-2-23
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 795633 ft
Canada

Dji sent out an emails saying not to fly without them.  I'd say that's warning enough.
2015-2-23
Use props
lukebowerman.ya
lvl.2

Malta

Common sense, enough said, but then again common sense is not so common.

If the supplier issued a fix and you neglected to put on the prop locks which are a MUST, then yes the onus is all on you. I flew my I1 from day 1 with prop locks.

Though luck...
2015-2-23
Use props
Superfit
lvl.2

Canada

Is DJI now shipping the inspire with the prop locks or do you have to order them separately?
2015-2-23
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-2-23 12:10
Howie,

I think as soon as it became an issue most people grounded their Inspire 1 until receiving  ...

I did not know until I read all the post on the forum, I used inspire three time during the day,I did put the lock on the propeller in the first two times which I was not sure what were they for, just guessing its for extra safety for example, running into some tree branch or hit a bird,  those locks will keep the props on, I never know the props will automatically fall off if you are not using locks. So the third time, I did not put them on props, so it flew just 5-8 seconds, one of the props just fell off......it does not make sense to me at all, DJI called them self-tight propeller as they called Phantom family which I never had propeller issue before during the whole year flew.

I hope everyone in this forum can see this post so you won't have the same disaster happen on you. Please make sure your locks on the propeller!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015-2-23
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

info.rossfeighe Posted at 2015-2-23 13:43
I've really only read of 2 or 3 people with propellers flying off during flight. You have to tighten ...

I am sure they were very tight.
2015-2-23
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

method007 Posted at 2015-2-24 01:46
Post pictures of the damage to your Inspire please.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

here are the photos
2015-2-23
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

choptlivah Posted at 2015-2-24 02:40
Dji sent out an emails saying not to fly without them.  I'd say that's warning enough.

I did not receive any email from DJI about propeller, is everyone here receive the email?
2015-2-23
Use props
derkoi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

There was a pop up message on the DJI Pilot app too. Don't fly without prop locks.
2015-2-23
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

derkoi Posted at 2015-2-24 07:52
There was a pop up message on the DJI Pilot app too. Don't fly without prop locks.

my app is version 1.0.1, why there is no any popup msg?
2015-2-23
Use props
kevin_glamuzina
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25466 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

howie121218@gma Posted at 2015-2-24 06:32
I did not know until I read all the post on the forum, I used inspire three time during the day,I  ...

so this is interesting you flew two flights with prop locks. So clearly they were either included in the case or DJI sent them to you as you purchased your inspire directly. In the prop lock  packet  there were instructions on how to install them so you obviously worked that out and some how miraculously you missed the note that kept on popping up on all our screens that was warning you not to fly without prop locks. And you blame DJI.
Before the prop locks had been manufactured, or that there was even a known fault i can understand that you could blame Dji. As for the manual stating that the props were self tightening, That pretty much became redundant the moment you flew without them after you had flown two flights with them. why would you do that
If you are flying a radio control model of this cost and this calibre you must be informed. If anything goes wrong this machine could hurt someone really badly if not kill someone under the wrong circumstances.
I had an accident with my Phantom unfortunatly it hit me and now i have three really deep scares on my legs, and i have been flying for 25 years
I think the only fault or blame i could throw at DJI is that they refer to this as a "ready to fly drone" and here lies the problem.
Yep it is but there is still a learning curve and research is paramount download all the you tube videos fly far away from everybody until you are really competent and as a registered inspire user you have access to all press releases how did you miss this stuff. IMU issues firmware requirements prop locks etc
As much as i am sympathetic i am also a firm believer in taking responsibility for my own actions or stupidity what ever the case may be
2015-2-23
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Superfit Posted at 2015-2-24 05:09
Is DJI now shipping the inspire with the prop locks or do you have to order them separately?

Not sure but, I think they have solved the issue with a Prop upgrade to soon be released.
2015-2-23
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Superfit Posted at 2015-2-24 05:09

I would imagine that they are now that they are aware of the issue. I believe that they are releasing an upgrade Prop that addresses the issue.If you have the original release I would use the locks.
2015-2-23
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

kevin_glamuzina Posted at 2015-2-24 09:11
so this is interesting you flew two flights with prop locks. So clearly they were either included  ...

Thanks for your reply. I did forget the third times, I used to fly phantom 2 v+, so I did not have the habit to put the lock on, that was my fault, however, my point is the app was not for sure popping up any message says you can't fly without locks, also on the arms, DJI should put very obvious sticker to tell user that please put the lock on when they setup propellers since the consequence is such serious. The reason for posting this just to warn user to make sure put on your locks also trying to attract DJI's attention to solve the issue for future. I do blame DJI, because during the entire process of setting up, there's no single message warning user has to put propellers on, at least not enough at all for a user upgrade from phantom to inspire.
2015-2-23
Use props
natehobbs.gmail
New

United States

My Inspire One ordered via Amazon last week arrived with prop locks out of the box.  In this hobby lack of perfection can have costly, potentially dangerous repercussions. Do yourself a favor, print off a preflight checklist and take the time to go through and visually check each step of that list before flight. Things such as properly secured props are critical items.
2015-2-23
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

natehobbs.gmail Posted at 2015-2-24 10:04
My Inspire One ordered via Amazon last week arrived with prop locks out of the box.  In this hobby l ...

that's a really good advise. Thank you, I definitely will do when I get my second one.
2015-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules