Aircraft Disconnected Mid-flight
8520 20 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheBlob
lvl.1

United States

I had a weird issue today flying. Luckily the manual RTH worked as designed. I was live streaming to Facebook when I hit about 1300 feet in distance, 200 feet in height and the DJI GO app reported the aircraft was disconnected. I could see it in the sun just hovering. I could not control the aircraft. I did notice that someone else was flying their drone nearby. Anyone know what could have caused this? Is this a bug possibly? Interference with the other drone?
2017-2-25
Use props
KENSY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10696 ft
United States

I strongly doubt that another drone would cause that. I would make sure that you orient the remote control antenna as per the instruction manual, keep it parallel to the landing gear. Also I usually watch my signal strength icon and adjust the antenna for the best signal. Hope this helps. Be safe!
2017-2-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If it is just hovering there, it means it is waiting for a control input from you. If the control signal is not getting to the aircraft, it will RTH on its own. But more likely, the control signal was weak, so it was waiting for you to send it a command. If you were able to initiate RTH manually, then the control link was actually working and you could have brough the aircraft back towards you. And no, the other drone would not have caused you any problems.
2017-2-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Do you recall how far off they were from you? Just to clarify, what kind of area were you flying in?
2017-2-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Similar reply to Geebax ...

Disconnected appears from your description to be video / Go.

If the AC hovers and you did not change RTH setting to off in Go - then it shows you have still 5.8ghz control link..... assuming this is a P3s ? Some do post other P3 models here !
Manual use of RTH via S2 switch should be fully functional.

I ask - did you manually start RTH from tapping Go or by using S2 switch ?  If you used Go - then it means the disconnect was only temporary.

Quite often we read posts where people say they lose control ... but actually all they lost was the 2.4 video / telemetry part with 5.8 control still there.

With real loss of control as long RTH is on as default . The AC will return home.

Glad anyway you got your P3 back in one piece.

Nigel
2017-2-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

One aspect that tends to be forgotten is that digital signals are basically on or off ... so even if a weak signal - as long as the data set is  correct, connect is fine. But once it gets too weak - its a definite off .... which I don't think OP had.

The other AC / controller would have no influence on OP's situation unless one or other controller has a fault..... highly unlikely.

Nigel
2017-2-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

If you're on the edge of range, your 2.4 signal may have been lost and your 5.8 signal may have been intermittent meaning your AC will receive your RC commands only some of the time.  
2017-2-26
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

The RTH does work as designed. yes.  Read my own thread on same thing but funny thing was my drone was already on the way home.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-86645-1-1.html
2017-2-26
Use props
Shifau
New

Maldives

My P4P Also aircraft disconnected in mid air... I also dnt know the reason but at the time I was flying above the ocean.. by the way I m from Maldives
2017-2-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

One of the biggest problems when things happen is our tendency to PANIC !! Panic takes over - mind races ... all sorts of ideas / thoughts race through ...

Even when its a split secind event - we are so often wrong in what we think went wrong ... because of the panic / fear that grips.

Here's a video that those of a nervous disposition should not watch to the end ...

Yes I know its a Glow powered Model and not a P3 !! But the point is that at the end when it crashes - I am POSITIVE and I say it clearly - I went wrong way on elevator stick when she's inverted. Its a common mistake and has shredded many a model.
BUT because I video near 100% of my flying for diagnostic purposes to trim / setup my models - I was able to watch more closely and actually frame step to see what happened. It was not me - its a failed elevator servo that locked and drove her down.
How do I know ? I know I was throwing that stick around trying to get her to do something - but the video shows a straight path without any changes into the tarmac.

Tests of the gear after confirmed it.

Just trying to illustrate how we react and often make error in our thought why something happens.

Just for those interested .... here she is later back in the air gracing the air for the crowds ...

The Airfield - now private is an ex Soviet Mig Fighter base and still has a Mig17 sitting just inside the main gate.

Nigel
2017-2-26
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

.... now that makes flying a ps3 look a piece of cake............ I'd have written it off in less than a minute!
2017-2-26
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-26 07:34
I've had a lost single during a RTH when I had a signal before the RTH started, It just keeps RTH with no pause.   You have to remember the RTH route is not necessarily the same path you took flying out and may have something blocking the signal.

RTH is a straight line flight back to your home point. When I manually issue an RTH I am flying at least 100m above anything around me on my return RTH path.
2017-2-26
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-26 07:46
Yeah I know, but sometimes my RTH route looses signal on the way home.   I don't tend to fly in straight lines because I try to avoid flying over peoples houses.   Your  playground seems a bit more open than mine

I suggest you come visit my playground then.

2017-2-26
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-2-26 04:59
One of the biggest problems when things happen is our tendency to PANIC !! Panic takes over - mind races ... all sorts of ideas / thoughts race through ...

Even when its a split secind event - we are so often wrong in what we think went wrong ... because of the panic / fear that grips.

I totally agree.  It is like the post elsewhere on this forum where the pilot claimed his P3S flew 180 degrees out of phase with his controller.  He apparently made a very fast takeoff from the porch of his home and the Phantom came at him and crashed into his house.  He believes that a recent update to FW 1.8.10 is the cause.  I on the other, hand believe he set the Phantom down facing his house , not the open sky.
2017-2-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

GeoffN Posted at 2017-2-26 07:21
.... now that makes flying a ps3 look a piece of cake............ I'd have written it off in less than a minute!

Have a look over on my YT channel : solentlifeuk

Plenty of crashes / spills / thrills ..... and a much varied range of models.

Cheers
Nigel
2017-2-26
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-26 08:42
I suggest you come visit my playground then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oacHMmjaLM8&t=294s

I would love to come there just to travel the roads on 2 wheels. Beautiful country.
2017-2-26
Use props
TheBlob
lvl.1

United States

I'll be uploading the flight logs tonight
2017-2-27
Use props
fans2ef469d5
lvl.2

United States

Yesterday I was flying and that happen to me but it did not work and fell out of the sky I was at 280 feet and my drone is destroyed
2017-2-28
Use props
fans2ef469d5
lvl.2

United States

Yesterday I was flying and that happen to me but it did not work and fell out of the sky I was at 280 feet and my drone is destroyed
2017-2-28
Use props
BASE1864
lvl.1
Australia

I am having this issue, but on every flight I have. I get the Mavic Pro up about 60 metres and no more than 20 or 30 horizontally and the connection just keeps cutting out.

I am facing the right way, I am pointing the antenna up, but for whatever reason, my drone just loses connection and starts to return home after a bit. For that I am glad, but I am just not getting the range out of this thing that i thought was possible.

The location was out on a skydiving drop zone, so there is literally no buildings, no interference, just wide open sky and maybe a few trees. Quite frustrating.
2018-9-5
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

What model is used for your Facebook job? And what model was the other drone?
2018-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules