Purchasing a Mavic - a few questions..
1084 3 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Hi,

I have been reading some posts on this forum, and general internet info, but wanted to clarify a few things as I get ready to pull the trigger;

-It appears the Mavic had some issues, and crashes, but overall due to firmware updates they are flying fairly well now?

-I assume I should purchase the Fly more combo?

-To protect the props, I was thinking of buying a hard plastic case? Any recs for a good one in the mid, $50 range?

-I should buy some ND Filters? Are these to reduce glare on sunny days? (I plan on shooting video and pics along the ocean)

-Is there anything else a drone newbie should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
2017-2-25
Use props
SkySailorMan
First Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

My two cents... If you want to buy a Mavic and you have the bucks, buy it. The vast majority of owners are quite satisfied. Keep this forum in perspective...this is where people centralize their complaints. That said...

1) See above.
2) I don't think you should assume a FlyMore combo is the way to go. In my opinion you should identify your expections and purchase accordingly to meet those expectations. For me the answer was to purchase the combo, a hard case, and PolarPro ND filters. BTW, there is a fantastic hard case on Amazon for just $39.
3) Not sure why you need to "protect the props." They just fold right in without having to remove them for storage or transport.
4) If you're going to be serious about shooting video, yes, you'll def want ND filters.
5) Yes, make sure you don't live within a No Fly Zone (within a 15-mile radius of D.C. for example), or you will have to always travel somewhere else to fly.

Lastly, if you do buy it, I'd highly recommend studying the manual in detail before you fly it the first time. You can download the manual from the DJI site and start reading up on it anytime.

Cheers and enjoy your new technological wonder!
2017-2-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Get the combo... You will need the extra batteries.

ND filters are like sunglasses to the phantom it wil help to soften the shoot but not to reduce glare.

I keep the sun behind and to the side of my drone. Practice in academy for all kind of scenarios. Next start in beginner mode around open field and RESIST THE URGE of flying high and far the first few lights.

Always  let the AC run a minute before take off to check that everything is working fine and then hover for another minute doing the circle, left , right, back and forth movement to make sure everything is working fine and THEN AND ONLY THEN up, up and away.

Safety First, Fun Second!
2017-2-25
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for the replies. I will continue to read up on various topics on this website, and I will download the manual.

I built small airplane models when I was young (early 70's), and crashed most of them within the first two flights, so I will be sure to take it slow as a newbie drone flyer.

This technology is truly amazing.
2017-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules