Horizon Tilt
5975 39 2017-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3406883 ft
United Kingdom

Why does the gimbal not rectify the horizon tilt it is very bad in the P4P+ I had similar issues with the P3P but thought is would be resolved with the new Phantoms?
I have to do a manual fix all the time to get a straight image which in video mode kills the footage. I also have to spend more time in post production fixing and cropping tilted images.
There is nothing in the user manaul about this issue or the method to fix the horizon?
The warning about the wind, there was very little wind (5mph) I also get this warning message on every flight, its really annoying.

Horizon tilting badly

Horizon tilting badly
2017-2-26
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

DJI has known about the fake high wind warning distraction for months and hasn't fixed it.
They have known about the horizon tilt issues for YEARS and haven't fixed it. In fact, it is even worse on the Phantom 4 series than it was on the P3 series.
You can find countless posts about this problem online- in these forums, PhantomPilots, RCForums, etc. DJI isn't really willing to address these issues so don't get your hopes up.

You will see that DJI denies the issues, gives you the canned answer "calibrate IMU and gimbal" and then says send in your drone. You will see that none of this does anything and some even get a worse unit after sending it in. DJI refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem.
Watch- no DJI employee will respond to this here because this is true.
2017-2-26
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the very reason that I have chosen not to purchase the Phantom 4 which the wife said I can go ahead and do. Decided not to stay with DJI. I'm in the market for a different brand.
2017-2-26
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

did you do an automatic gimball calibration? I have P4P AND P4P+ and I have no issuse with horizon tilt!
2017-2-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

When the aircraft detects that the current wind speed is higher than 6 m/s, a warning message will pop up in DJI GO 4. Please note that the wind speed mentioned above is not the wind speed on the ground, but the one in the air.
For the horizon tilt issue, please calibrate IMU in a very level surface firstly, then calibrate gimbal and adjust Roll, then check the performance again.
2017-2-26
Use props
Stavanger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1295794 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hi guys, you won't get "Ikea customer service" from DJI, that's for sure. But you won't find any "less Bad" affordable drones on the market right now, with these characteristics, performance and quality.
What they are doing with drone innovation and development at that pace/speed , nobody else does it (for the public consumer market) . It comes with fails, often beta products in the beginning and frustration sometimes,.... we just have to deal with that. There is no such a perfect-fail-free product company producer.
I'm really grateful to DJI,  professional aerial photography is getting so much easyer and convenient since  P4.... To me, looks like soon I should start thinking on selling the big oktos.
Just my opinion, fly safe!!
2017-2-26
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-26 23:15
When the aircraft detects that the current wind speed is higher than 6 m/s, a warning message will pop up in DJI GO 4. Please note that the wind speed mentioned above is not the wind speed on the ground, but the one in the air.
For the horizon tilt issue, please calibrate IMU in a very level surface firstly, then calibrate gimbal and adjust Roll, then check the performance again.

Actually I've gotten wind speed warnings INDOORS where there is no wind. It is very clear that the warnings are overly sensitive and distracting, but apparently you guys aren't going to do anything about it?

As stated above, the horizon drift and crookedness is much worse on the P4 series than even the P3 series. Obviously level IMU and gimbal calibrations don't help. But we know you are given the usual generic things to say because DJI doesn't want to acknowledge that there is a flaw here. You are like the low level tech guy saying "power cycle your modem" when there is an internet outage in the area.

Sorry that DJI doesn't feel the need to work on fixing the obvious wind warning distraction issues even in no wind and the ongoing horizon tilt issues.

I'm sure @Hallmark will soon jump in like a shill and defend you guys.
2017-2-27
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-2-26 22:50
did you do an automatic gimball calibration? I have P4P AND P4P+ and I have no issuse with horizon tilt!

Yes I did all the calibrations as best I could, for photography I can fix the tilt but for video it kills the footage every time.
2017-2-27
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans13642d5f Posted at 2017-2-27 09:55
Yes I did all the calibrations as best I could, for photography I can fix the tilt but for video it kills the footage every time.

By any chance did you do the COLD IMU calibration?
2017-2-27
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-26 23:15

We will try in the order you state, for the wind speed, I get the warning at 4ft on take off with little to no wind....!
Please please can you update the user manual with more info, like the built in screen and the new camera, there is no instructions on functions etc.
2017-2-27
Use props
fans13642d5f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-2-27 09:57
By any chance did you do the COLD IMU calibration?

Sorry I do not understand what you mean by COLD?
2017-2-27
Use props
Viridis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The horizon tilt is quite bad, I find myself having to manually correct much more than I ever did on p3p
2017-2-27
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans13642d5f Posted at 2017-2-27 10:05
Sorry I do not understand what you mean by COLD?

No problem... Cold temperature take battery out, put the AC outside when it is cold at least  10F for half an hour. Have your you RC and APP ready when you bring the AC back in and MAKE sure you are on a 100% and do the IMU, shut and restart and do AUTO GIMBAL, start restart and check the roll.

I did that on both P4 AND P4P and I had no issues.
2017-2-27
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-26 23:05
Let us know what you get.

AUTEL ROBOTICS

https://www.autelrobotics.com/x-star-premium/
2017-2-27
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-2-27 11:35
AUTEL ROBOTICS

Awfully nice of you to buy that for Warloc.
2017-2-27
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-2-27 11:35
AUTEL ROBOTICS

It is almost a copy of the phantom 3. I bet it is a DJI owned company. They won't let a competitor copy almost the same design and let them get way with it. Even the battery looks  similar.

It is a Phantom3 repackaged???
2017-2-27
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

method007 Posted at 2017-2-27 12:29
Awfully nice of you to buy that for Warloc.

I know two people who have the x-star premium version, and they have not had a single problem. Autel answers your messages or calls quickly. If I am not mistaken Autel is manufactured in USA. And you can see that in the forum of Autel it seems that there are fewer problems than here.
If you take a tour in the forums of Phantom, Mavic, Inspire, Matrice .............., in all of them you will find people who have received articles that do not work correctly. And that when a model starts to work well, another new version appears on the market, and the game start again. Look at what people who bought Inspire 1 think, when the second version appeared, nothing of the first version can be used in the second, and at first it was said that it was a durable platform that would be expanded with new products. If you think that Dji is better than other manufacturers, I am happy for you as you are happy with what you have, but do not forget that it is only your opinion

2017-2-27
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The way "DJI Natalia" answers here and in some other posts makes me wondering if there is a robot behind it.
CrookedHorizon mentiones IMU calibration won't solve it and she answers by suggesting IMU calibration ;-)

I have the tilting problem on the P4P as well. If it only would be a constant problem that can be solved by adjusting Gimbal roll - but no:
Flying yesterday horizon was perfectly levelled facing north to southeast. Turning west to southwest it was entirely off.
Yes: That kills it for filming.
Then again: DJI is officially marketing the Phantom as a toy!? Makes sense...
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-2-27 14:59
I know two people who have the x-star premium version, and they have not had a single problem. Autel answers your messages or calls quickly. If I am not mistaken Autel is manufactured in USA. And you can see that in the forum of Autel it seems that there are fewer problems than here.
If you take a tour in the forums of Phantom, Mavic, Inspire, Matrice .............., in all of them you will find people who have received articles that do not work correctly. And that when a model starts to work well, another new version appears on the market, and the game start again. Look at what people who bought Inspire 1 think, when the second version appeared, nothing of the first version can be used in the second, and at first it was said that it was a durable platform that would be expanded with new products. If you think that Dji is better than other manufacturers, I am happy for you as you are happy with what you have, but do not forget that it is only your opinion

That's why I always buy the newest Phantom and exchange it monthly with my retailer until it works right. Then by the time it does, a new version comes out and I repeat the process.  I could care less if it costs DJI money. I guarantee you I have cost DJI more money than I have paid them. And I'm totally ok with that as long as they proceed with crap quality control and deny horizon issues.
2017-2-27
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

This is also a copy?
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

Eric-

You are absolutely correct. DJI tells their fake "employees" on this site that they are only "authorized" to say "do an IMU and gimbal calibration" or "send it in". They are specifically instructed not to acknowledge the horizon as being a problem at all.

It is those sad instructions that make me realize that as of now they don't really have any plans to address this defect.

Watch- that's all they say. They say "do a calibration". Then the customer says "that does nothing". Then they respond "send it in". About a month or so later (after struggling to get updates) the customer usually receives a refurbished unit back that is worse than the original unit.
This is the constant story here and anyone who knows the slightest thing about DJI's contempt for customer service would never deny what I just stated above.

See, DJI spends the bottom of the barrel for customer service. Their "customer service" employees are paid so little that they often are pizza delivery guys or barely employee folks. If you call the Carson center in the US- you'll be shocked how their own "employees" know little to nothing about their own drones. I kid you not. One of them told me he had never flown a drone and doesn't even own a DJI product.
2017-2-27
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

CrookedHorizon= Posted at 2017-2-27 15:19
That's why I always buy the newest Phantom and exchange it monthly with my retailer until it works right. Then by the time it does, a new version comes out and I repeat the process.  I could care less if it costs DJI money. I guarantee you I have cost DJI more money than I have paid them. And I'm totally ok with that as long as they proceed with crap quality control and deny horizon issues.

I like your attitude
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

Thanks
I swapped out my P4 over 12 times before I got my P4Pro. I always refreshed my units which also allowed me to sell a basically brand new P4 before I upgraded to the P4Pro.
I remember on these forums when one of the total tool fake "employees" here, "DJI Ken" got totally livid when I suggested everyone else refresh their birds regularly like I did.
I once figured out that if the margin on these drones is about 50%, I have cost DJI dozens of multiples of what I paid for their products.
I'm glad to do it, and I always will continue to do this until DJI decides that they should have the bare minimum of quality control that non-Chinese customers expect.
2017-2-27
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

This video is after I hover 6 ft high and level the horizon. I then turn 180 degrees facing the opposite direction and climb to where this video starts. As you can see the horizon is slightly tilted again after just leveling it when it was near the ground. I re level the horizon in the video and take off in sport mode. Seems it's worse in sport mode and as you can see it really gets worse when you give it any yaw inputs while moving forward in sport mode. I put the black line in the video to show how severe it really is. The black horizon marker line never moves but the horizon sure does! It's frustrating.
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-27 17:32
This video is after I hover 6 ft high and level the horizon. I then turn 180 degrees facing the opposite direction and climb to where this video starts. As you can see the horizon is slightly tilted again after just leveling it when it was near the ground. I re level the horizon in the video and take off in sport mode. Seems it's worse in sport mode and as you can see it really gets worse when you give it any yaw inputs while moving forward in sport mode. I put the black line in the video to show how severe it really is. The black horizon marker line never moves but the horizon sure does! It's frustrating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4LVAFlgT1k

Perfect example. This is present on EVERY SINGLE Phantom 4/Pro drone. People who don't see it aren't flying high enough to see the horizon (terrain dependent) or they don't have a level horizon in the distance. Imagine how bad this looks over water!!
The DJI "employees" here are useless and will tell you the same garbage about IMU and gimbal calibrations which have nothing to do with this defect.
That's why I recommend refreshing your drone periodically. DJI will keep getting retailer returns marked "crooked horizon" and  hopefully when they see a pattern of some lost revenue that didn't need to happen, they will pay some attention. Until then, happy refreshing and flying!
2017-2-27
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

CrookedHorizon= Posted at 2017-2-27 17:56
Perfect example. This is present on EVERY SINGLE Phantom 4/Pro drone. People who don't see it aren't flying high enough to see the horizon (terrain dependent) or they don't have a level horizon in the distance. Imagine how bad this looks over water!!
The DJI "employees" here are useless and will tell you the same garbage about IMU and gimbal calibrations which have nothing to do with this defect.
That's why I recommend refreshing your drone periodically. DJI will keep getting retailer returns marked "crooked horizon" and  hopefully when they see a pattern of some lost revenue that didn't need to happen, they will pay some attention. Until then, happy refreshing and flying!

I'm not fond of refreshing a well taken care of bird for a refurbished turd that's been polished.
My bird is in the fridge as we speak. Going to try the cold IMU calibration method and see what happens. Not holding my breath. To be fair, the technology is amazing that it is as level as it is AND there is an adjustment. Albeit a nuisance of an adjustment. They never promised a level horizon or a rose garden anywhere.
2017-2-27
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

I am on my fourth P4 through Best Buy. I still have horizon tillt issue. I'll be returning this for another exchange in a few days.
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

PKPhantom Posted at 2017-2-27 18:47
I am on my fourth P4 through Best Buy. I still have horizon tillt issue. I'll be returning this for another exchange in a few days.

Well done! I'm on my 4th refresh as well
Keep doing it and take some small solace knowing we are costing them money the longer they don't fix this problem. I hope to inspire others to do the same. It clearly irritates the hell out of them, so I know we're on to something.
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-27 20:35
Obviously this is a fake forum handle.  Have you ever posted a video of your skills in your real name?  One can over come this horizon thing, it's not hard.  Trolls like you just hide in moms basesment and arn't brave enough to say who they are.

Sorry shillster. I don't need to tell you who I am, other than one who exchanges the Phantom over and over again until I get one that works as it is advertised to. Have fun!
2017-2-27
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Obviously this is a fake forum handle.  Have you ever posted a video of your skills in your real name?  One can over come this horizon thing, it's not hard.  Trolls like you just hide in moms basesment and arn't brave enough to say who they are.

There's no point with this guy Alec. He's on a mission and only posts about This.

Anyway, unless there's the ribbon cable fault (rubbing on camera on initialisation), I suspect the root cause is a combination of gimbal design (uneven weighting?) and firmware intelligence (not compensating adequately while yawing?). I didn't experience 'limp gimbal' on my P4 until I tested the beta firmware (based on the P4P code branch) in January, so I believe that That issue was introduced by the latest P4P code. So, I'll await the next firmware for both models, as DJI has stated that it will incorporate 'gimbal optimisation' so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until then. If not resolved, then I'll no doubt join Crooked's bandwagon.
2017-2-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Calibrate the IMU before the gimbal calibration. That will often give you a straight and square horizon.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-27
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

Punchnutsack- you've been blathering about "gimbal optimization" since over a month ago. It is clear that the low level techs have no idea what they are talking about and you have no evidence of anything other than your own garbage theorizing.

Moreover, the crooked horizon has been going on for years. It is even worse in the P4 series than the P3 series. So don't hold your hopes up for any type of a "magic" fix.
2017-2-28
Use props
Stavanger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1295794 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Still, you keep buying (exchanging), DJI drones..... really?? Do you read what you write before posting?  who can take you seriously? And I know about the tilting problem, and a few more issues. But, do you have a better drone option on the market right now? Are you just trolling?
2017-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Everybody who's been around here for any length of time knows who he is.

Crook horizontal, aka shilslayer aka dirty bird, he's the resident dji hater, been banned more times than you can shake a stick at.
Although dji always seems to get the last laugh with him, he claims to have all their drones, they say a fool and his money are easily parted (I think this quote was written for him)

Just beware he doesn't show you his video of 4K litchi mission, grown men have thrown themselves out of 20 story buildings after watching , it's incredibly boring.
2017-2-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-28 08:25

Crook horizontal, aka shilslayer aka dirty bird, he's the resident dji hater, been banned more times than you can shake a stick at.

Yeah, I was aware of two of his current handles (similar, so he has no imagination...). I'm not aware of that mission video, so I think I dodged a bullet there. Anyway, it's a shame when you see people on a vendetta here - it does little but introduce bad karma to the forum, and newcomers then think it's the norm...

But, off subject. RHP, for many P4 and P4P's, doing a calibration is only temporary. Once you fly the craft around it loses horizon level and requires resetting on-the-fly. I suspect landing and power recycling would also achieve the same result. At least in my case anyway.

There's a poster here with a video of his P4 doing a high 360. Once horizon goes, he simply slowly spins the craft and the horizon eventuallly returns to level again. So, I'm sure that there are more than one gimbal issue, but I'm confident that mine can be resolved with firmware. And I'm also sure the Easter Bunny will bring me some nice chocolate eggs soon...
2017-2-28
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-3-14
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-28 08:25

Just because someone posts a link to my video(s) doesn't mean it's me.  As to your comments on my videos, you can't please everyone, & you appear to be in a minority. Perhaps you'll be kind enough to post a link to your own work so we can critique you & see how a "real professional" does things?  Do you even have anything to show?  Otherwise your comments just make you look petty & small.
2017-3-14
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Whatever your or forum members think of CrookedHorizon is one thing. He was taken care of by being banned and this should do it.
You are disclosing VERY personal information of that guy. Sounds like you have a personal problem with him. The intel you are giving has stalking quality.
I think you should be banned as well!

2017-3-14
Use props
RodneyDangerous
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Thread closed. It's weeks old and only active because of more personal bickering.
2017-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules