4K Editing
1550 5 2017-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevemg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

It would be really useful to know what you guys recommend for 4K editing please ?

I haven't got a huge budget ..around £1500 and that has to include the display !

I really want to cut down on the rendering time as that is the painful side of editing for me.

Thank you in advance.
2017-2-26
Use props
adrian8891
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2643110 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

I'm using "28 iMac. Works fine for me.
2017-2-26
Use props
Sam Photo
New

United Kingdom

I'm on the iMac too.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
3.5 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB

I had the setup for stills photography so when I went and purchased the P4P I was a little nervous about the editing. It was a little laggy, I upgraded the RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb and it picked things up a little. I edited my first video only yesterday in Premier Pro and it was pretty painless... On rearranging the frames I was rendering the In/Out points as I went which seemed to work ok. I set it to render and it stated a couple of hours for the final file to be created.

The conditions for the shoot were pretty poor and I think I need to work on my colour grading, possibly with a Lumetri preset for the P4P camera (yet to find one) so it brightens up the footage. But overall for my first attempt I'm pretty pleased with it.

2017-2-26
Use props
stevemg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sam Photo Posted at 2017-2-26 12:37
I'm on the iMac too.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB
I had the setup for stills photography so when I went and purchased the P4P I was a little nervous about the editing. It was a little laggy, I upgraded the RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb and it picked things up a little. I edited my first video only yesterday in Premier Pro and it was pretty painless... On rearranging the frames I was rendering the In/Out points as I went which seemed to work ok. I set it to render and it stated a couple of hours for the final file to be created.

Thank you for your comment. Yes the video looks good but does require my contrast and brightness in my eyes ..easily rectified in an editing suite. 2 hours rendering for 3 minutes of video is one heck of a long time or is that normal with 4K ?
2017-2-27
Use props
Damacone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358622 ft
United Kingdom

A Mac is probably not a bad choice.

I'm using a relatively old Windows machine (Core i7 2600K, overclocked quite a bit) with 8G RAM - and a MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC graphics card.   I've got a couple of large SSDs also, and a WD 8 TB My Book USB 3.0 external drive.

So, to edit I am using Davinci Resolve 12 which is entirely free - this can edit H.264 directly, or if you want to use H.265 then I use Convert V4 to convert to DNxHR, which can be edited in real-time on the machine I've described above.

Rendering a 10 minute video takes about 25 minutes with this setup (4K at 25fps).  I am pretty sure the graphics card (which, compared to the computer it is in, is a beast) is responsible for the rendering performance.  When the machine is rendering you can literally feel the heat coming off it.

What I am missing is a large 4K screen - you can get them pretty cheaply now - but I'm holding out for HDR..

If you are interested in fast edit and render performance then this article might help.

2017-2-27
Use props
JoiCam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 771434 ft
Iceland

I am using
i7 6700K CPU
32GB ram
GTX 1070 8GB GPU
Win 10 64bit
Working just fine with 4K DJI h264, 4K DJI  265, 4K Prores 422 HQ and other codecs with out the need to do any conversion.

P.s.   Davinci Resolve Studio versions supports H265. Free non studio versions do not support h265.
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules