Poor quality satellite imagery from HERE MAPS?
2455 26 2017-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pedro05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656975 ft
United Kingdom

I have not yet tried DJI GO 4 but understand that it uses mapping from HERE rather than from Google. I had a look at the satellite imagery available from HERE in southern UK. It is older, lower resolution and more blurred than that from Google. See attached comparison (google on left, HERE on right).

This is a very big problem for me. I will not use DJI GO 4 if this is the quality of the aerials.
herego.JPG
2017-2-26
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

At some point it will be updated and then Google will look poor and out of date until Google next update theirs!   

Which is most up to date just depends on which was updated last in the area you are looking at.

Several years ago Here had a problem with a lot of cloud obscuring the ground in parts of UK but most of that has disappeared, places that were cloud covered in the last update now use older and less detailed photos than the more recent stuff, but the same applies to Google too.

Even Google can't do real time photos so you can find where you parked your car and check that it is still safe!
2017-2-26
Use props
G1DTF
First Officer
Flight distance : 230151 ft
United Kingdom

The Here maps are also of poor quality compared to google here in Yorkshire. It would be nice they they gave a choice of either using google or here maps especially now they have forced the update to 3.1.3 making the here maps mandatory.
2017-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you use an Apple device instead of Android, then you get Google Maps.
2017-2-27
Use props
G1DTF
First Officer
United Kingdom

Which makes the decision by DJI to use Here maps rather than Google maps on android  even more rediculous
2017-2-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes ... Here Maps is generally inferior to Google maps .... but does that really make any difference to your flying?
After hundreds of flights totaling over 1500 kilometres in three years, I think I've only ever used the map twice.
It's not like it's of critical importance when you're flying.
2017-2-27
Use props
G1DTF
First Officer
United Kingdom

Not critical to flying by any means but if a feature is included why not have the best available solution which for me is definitely not here maps which are both of extremely poor definition and outdated for my area compared to google.
2017-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

G1DTF Posted at 2017-2-27 18:43
Not critical to flying by any means but if a feature is included why not have the best available solution which for me is definitely not here maps which are both of extremely poor definition and outdated for my area compared to google.

Google charge you to use their mapping system, not you, but the developer of the code. DJI probably decided they did not want to pay the licensing fees any longer. I imagine a HERE maps license is free or near to it, as no-one in their right mind would pay for them.
2017-2-27
Use props
G1DTF
First Officer
United Kingdom

So why as you stated do they still use Google maps on apple devices
2017-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

G1DTF Posted at 2017-2-27 18:52
So why as you stated do they still use Google maps on apple devices

Well, the app for Apple or iOS devices is completely different to that for Android, there may be some other reason why Google Maps are used in Apple devices.
2017-2-27
Use props
pedro05
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-27 18:22
If you use an Apple device instead of Android, then you get Google Maps.

I do use an ipad Air2. Are you saying that DJI GO 3.1.3 and 4 on iOS still uses Google maps. Note I am interested in the satellite imagery not the maps as such.
2017-2-28
Use props
pedro05
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-27 18:35
Yes ... Here Maps is generally inferior to Google maps .... but does that really make any difference to your flying?
After hundreds of flights totaling over 1500 kilometres in three years, I think I've only ever used the map twice.

Well everyone is different. It certainly makes a big difference to me because I often fly looking most of the time at the satellite view on the tablet.
2017-2-28
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

pedro05 Posted at 2017-2-28 10:08
Well everyone is different. It certainly makes a big difference to me because I often fly looking most of the time at the satellite view on the tablet.

The only point of the map is to know where you are at, personally I think everyone makes this into a larger issue than it needs to be. Either map vendor gives us enough detail to figure out where you're at. Can't understand why anyone needs a high res image to get their bearings. And if you need a good res image for some reason it's right there as a FPV image.
2017-3-1
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-27 18:35

Same here, I'm on the FPV image more with most of my flight as well. I might switch over to the map once in a while if I'm wanting to confirm where I'm at if in doubt. And either map vendor works for that confirmation.
2017-3-1
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

If higher resolution satellite images are important to some, perhaps DJI could offer Google Maps as a "for cost" addition to their FREE APP.  In reality; if you are willing to pay for the slightly better resolution you can, as I understand it,  buy the Litchi APP which reportedly still uses Google imagery.
2017-3-1
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183054 ft
United Kingdom

I'm struggling with those maps too. As I mentioned on another post, I can't confirm the RTH point is accurate so haven't taken off for about three months.
Google was excellent.
2017-3-7
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Anthonyg Posted at 2017-3-7 11:35
I'm struggling with those maps too. As I mentioned on another post, I can't confirm the RTH point is accurate so haven't taken off for about three months.
Google was excellent.

LOL.  The RTH point is taken by the drone when you launch.  It uses GPS not the maps. Sounds like you looked for an excuse not the fly.
I fly everyday if I can usually about an hour a day. Never used the maps.  
2017-3-7
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It is reassuring to see on the map that ''Home point recorded '' is in the same place as you are so if you needed a RTH , you would know it's coming back to where you want it to return to.
2017-3-7
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Anthonyg Posted at 2017-3-7 12:45
It is reassuring to see on the map that ''Home point recorded '' is in the same place as you are so if you needed a RTH , you would know it's coming back to where you want it to return to.

Why would it not be?   Also even if you move yourself and the RC to a new location you can go to the APP and set a new home point.  Read all about it.  So you could walk 500m to a new location and set a new home point in flight.  You see home point updated when you launch on your Go APP.
2017-3-7
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ive read about it.
I don't know why it wouldn't be but I've read on here that sometimes it is not, that's why some people have lost their drones. When it returns home to an incorrect home point.
If I can see the H  on the map, where I am stood, I'll  know where it's coming home too.
2017-3-7
Use props
RtinTN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 469734 ft

United States

This is the area I fly quite a bit.
Pretty useless.
here.png
2017-3-7
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

RtinTN Posted at 2017-3-7 14:41
This is the area I fly quite a bit.
Pretty useless.

Here you go, print out and tape to your device screen.

2017-3-7
Use props
RtinTN
lvl.2

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-3-7 15:28
Here you go, print out and tape to your device screen.
[view_image]

Thanks william, very helpful.
2017-3-8
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Anthonyg Posted at 2017-3-7 13:28
Ive read about it.
I don't know why it wouldn't be but I've read on here that sometimes it is not, that's why some people have lost their drones. When it returns home to an incorrect home point.
If I can see the H  on the map, where I am stood, I'll  know where it's coming home too.

Well you misunderstood then. There was an issue with 3.1.2 ver 581 that caused some people to have the home point changed. This has been fixed and it's why DJI forced everyone to update to the latest version app.

2017-3-8
Use props
fans847e5a8d
lvl.1

United States

This is all very true.   My Mavic uses the google and the P4P+ maps SUCK.   Where I live in Ohio the google maps are updated and look very good on the Ipad with the Mavic. I wish they would swithch over for the Plus.  Also, I was hoping the newest update would allow Litchi or GSpro. NOTHING... come on, whats going on with that?
2017-3-8
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

RtinTN Posted at 2017-3-8 04:39
Thanks william, very helpful.

Of course I was just messing with you, lol. But I do hope you can find a better place to fly then there with all those homes that were under that cloud.
2017-3-8
Use props
RtinTN
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the advice.
2017-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules