Gimbal tilts unexpectedly when flying sideways
5485 38 2017-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

With gimbal calibrated and perfectly flat while hovering, it will tilt slightly when flying sideways, in the direction you fly. Then when fly back the other direction, it tilits slightly toward that direction, then when stop and hover agin, it back to flat.
[url=][/url]
2017-2-26
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe you have it set in FPV mode?
2017-2-26
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

i KNEW someone was going to say that lmao!!

No it wasn't, never was! I tried that feature once on Phantom 4 first day just to see how it looked, but not again since on the Phantom 4 or Mavic have I used this setting.

And that was full throttle, if the FPV mode was wrong, the tilt would have been MUCH more DRASTIC!

Maybe I should upload more of that video and might be more clear that was not FPV as that is a very distinct effect!

I do appreciate the input thought!!
2017-2-26
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

SnowBirdNL Posted at 2017-2-26 13:34
i KNEW someone was going to say that lmao!!

No it wasn't, never was! I tried that feature once on Phantom 4 first day just to see how it looked, but not again since on the Phantom 4 or Mavic have I used this setting.

That's why I started my sentence with "Maybe"
2017-2-26
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Yeah get that too. Full recal does help a bit, make sure your level at the start.

Actually have so much footage of the problem here. I'll slap together and upload a clip right now. I just accept it cause seen no other mavic video that's any better. Guys who claim to have a perfect gimbal through a whole run, let's see the video! I don't know if it tilts as badly as yours though, encoding a vid. Try full recal with a bubble level. IMU needs to be done before the internal fan on the ac kicks on. Other than that, it's just the way it is.
2017-2-26
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-26 13:42
Yeah get that too. Full recal does help a bit, make sure your level at the start.

Actually have so much footage of the problem here. I'll slap together and upload a clip right now. I just accept it cause seen no other mavic video that's any better. Guys who claim to have a perfect gimbal through a whole run, let's see the video! I don't know if it tilts as badly as yours though, encoding a vid. Try full recal with a bubble level. IMU needs to be done before the internal fan on the ac kicks on. Other than that, it's just the way it is.

I've recalibrate everything a million times!! IMU, Compass, Gimbal!

Also, I always make sure is straight once in the air before I go.

Phantom 4 at times have started straight and ended a bit tilted, so you are right, none are perfect. Phantom 4 doesn't have this exact effect that i've noticed though.

I am also willing to accept coldness as a possible factor, although that clip was from the warmest day we've had here in weeks, and was above 0 degrees!

Also willing to accept is part of other more serious gimbal issues. (other post, working on video for those issues now)

Would like to see your examples as well
2017-2-26
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

SnowBirdNL Posted at 2017-2-26 14:05
I've recalibrate everything a million times!! IMU, Compass, Gimbal!

Also, I always make sure is straight once in the air before I go.

Uploading.. Sorry crappy upload speeds going to be about a hour before up on youtube.
2017-2-26
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-26 14:06
Uploading.. Sorry crappy upload speeds going to be about a hour before up on youtube.

You can see, it starts off fine. But by the end of the same flight it loses it's way for some reason. You can correct it by holding c2+exposure dial up and down but it messes with the ev. It's almost like the mavic does a gyro level match on startup then doesn't bother to check it again. Wind comes along and the math now doesn't work. Like it's not a real time measurement of the gyro?

2017-2-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify your current firmware version?
Do you have any gimbal issue when flying forward?
2017-2-26
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

It looks the same on my P4. It's "normal" for P4 and Mavic unfortunately.
2017-2-26
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-26 15:39
You can see, it starts off fine. But by the end of the same flight it loses it's way for some reason. You can correct it by holding c2+exposure dial up and down but it messes with the ev. It's almost like the mavic does a gyro level match on startup then doesn't bother to check it again. Wind comes along and the math now doesn't work. Like it's not a real time measurement of the gyro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6KnRVkDw4

Nice video!

I see what you're saying!

I will recheck effect on my Phantom, maybe is normal.

Seems strange that would be the normal effect, gimbal is so effective otherwise, that a slight tilt going sideways would not happen.

The best look I've gotten at a DJI gimbal in action is the OSMO Mobile, and this doesn't seem to have that kind of issue..

Either way not the end of the world!!
2017-2-27
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-26 22:31
Could you please clarify your current firmware version?
Do you have any gimbal issue when flying forward?

That video was on .400 firmware.

And gimbal is fine when flying (except of course for random "flipping out" lol)
2017-2-27
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

Fruxen Posted at 2017-2-26 22:52

Maybe..

Seems strange for "normal" lol, but not the worst thing that can be happening lol
2017-2-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SnowBirdNL Posted at 2017-2-27 06:17
That video was on .400 firmware.

And gimbal is fine when flying (except of course for random "flipping out" lol)

Please test more, and if the horizon tilts issue persists, I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.
2017-2-28
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-28 02:43
Please test more, and if the horizon tilts issue persists, I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.

That seems a little overkill for that kind of thing doesn't it lol?

The gimbal moves fine all around, focus fine, it seems like maybe something in the gimbal algorithm, or maybe is just the way they work.

Went back through some other Phantom 4 footage and there are examples there where it tilted sometimes as well..
2017-2-28
Use props
briguy73
lvl.1

United States

Mine has been doing the same thing.  Contacted DJI support and got the usual, "reset IMU, compass, gimbal, etc."  I actually thought I was finally going to have success this last reset, but after around 5 minutes of flying, the gimbal was tilted again to a slight angle.  Even doing the "adjust gimbal roll," it works for maybe 30 seconds to a minute before needing to be adjusted again.  

With all that, I've also noticed recently that my exposure needs to constantly be adjusted.  Thinking it's time to send it in and cross my fingers I get it back in time for my next trip!
2017-2-28
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

briguy73 Posted at 2017-2-28 08:17
Mine has been doing the same thing.  Contacted DJI support and got the usual, "reset IMU, compass, gimbal, etc."  I actually thought I was finally going to have success this last reset, but after around 5 minutes of flying, the gimbal was tilted again to a slight angle.  Even doing the "adjust gimbal roll," it works for maybe 30 seconds to a minute before needing to be adjusted again.  

With all that, I've also noticed recently that my exposure needs to constantly be adjusted.  Thinking it's time to send it in and cross my fingers I get it back in time for my next trip!

That was their answer for me for any issue lol (of course those things are still good to try lol)

I am curious, what is the temperature where you fly on average?

Gimbal issues seem to be related to cold mostly, at least thats ONLY time for me, and i've seen other reports where it was cold when happened to them.

Plus some others who have NEVER had a problem have reported NOT being in really cold area.

And also in 1.03.0200, half that update was to address gimbal performance in cold lol (which funny for me it was the first flight after that update my gimbal when crazy and couldn't even shoot a video lol)

Anyway, with the now 3 distinct gimbal issues, I've personally only seen them happen when out in the cold!
2017-2-28
Use props
briguy73
lvl.1

United States

SnowBirdNL Posted at 2017-2-28 08:25
That was their answer for me for any issue lol (of course those things are still good to try lol)

Interesting note on the cold... I'm in Northern California and the average temperature I've been flying in has been between 40°-50°, with one of my flights being down around 25° (which actually had the least gimbal issues - go figure!).  

Maybe I'll hold on and try it out this week with the temperatures getting up past the 60° mark.  
2017-2-28
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

briguy73 Posted at 2017-2-28 09:54
Interesting note on the cold... I'm in Northern California and the average temperature I've been flying in has been between 40°-50°, with one of my flights being down around 25° (which actually had the least gimbal issues - go figure!).  

Maybe I'll hold on and try it out this week with the temperatures getting up past the 60° mark.

What firmware are you on now?

FYI..

Flight 1: 1.30.0000:  Perfect
Flight 2: 1.30.0000:  Perfect
Flight 3: 1.30.0000:  Perfect
Flight 4: 1.30.0000:  Perfect
Flight 5: 1.30.0000:  Perfect
Flight 6: 1.30.0000:  Perfect

Updated to 1.30.0200
FW 1.30.0200: Lost GPS, drifted in wind, control in Atti Mode almost nothing
FW 1.03.0200: Camera jiggling
FW 1.03.0200: Camera jiggling
FW 1.03.0200: Gimbal was going crazy, abandoned attempt.
FW 1.30.0200: Gimbal was going crazy, waited a little and stopped. GPS lost with small drift 2 times.

Update to 1.03.0400
FW 1.03.0400: Perfect
FW 1.03.0400: Gimbal went crazy once in air
FW 1.03.0400: Little camera jiggling at first

Downgraded to 1.30.0000
FW 1.30.0000: Perfect
FW 1.30.0000: Perfect
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SnowBirdNL Posted at 2017-2-28 05:03
That seems a little overkill for that kind of thing doesn't it lol?

The gimbal moves fine all around, focus fine, it seems like maybe something in the gimbal algorithm, or maybe is just the way they work.

I have reported this to designated team.
If I get any update, I will let you know.
2017-2-28
Use props
墨老爷子
DJI R&D Squad

China

Thanks for your report and we are now  trying to test and reappearance the problem. Please refer to the update.
2017-3-1
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

Try turning off the "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" under the 'Advanced Settings" in the "Gimbal Settings". I think that will solve most of your issues.
2017-3-2
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

Grumps Posted at 2017-3-2 00:16
Try turning off the "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" under the 'Advanced Settings" in the "Gimbal Settings". I think that will solve most of your issues.

Very interesting!!

I thought (guessed) that was the part that helped making left to right pan more consistent, even if Mavic itself was fluctuating in the wind.. (regardless that is one of my favorite difference in Mavic over Phantom).

I will try it and see..

I did do one other test like that and effect didn't seem as drastic as first time. It was warmer but also background wasn't as distinct so probably harder to notice.

It's not the end of the world anyway, unless the back and forth motion is in a continuous clip it doesn't stand out too much, plus easy to rotate clip in post (but obviously less processing is always better),

Thanks for the suggestion!

2017-3-3
Use props
SeanOzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 612405 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have the same issues .  i tried everything and ended up sending it back in. i made a few  videos showing my issues. i will link to them for you.

i turned off everything i could and reset everything for close to a month as i was out of town while i waited for my return label . i hoped it would fix before i got home and i would not have to send it it.

i sent it in yesterday though.

2017-3-3
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

I have the same issue sometines when flying sideways .. latest Firmware by today and gimbal calibrated with the mavic Standing on a leveled Surface ..

No fpv Mode.. no issues when flying Forward or just rotating mavic when hovering.
2017-3-3
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had already shared this video here, but Im sharing again to give more footage to this thread of the issue.

2017-3-3
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Horizon tilt issue is still present on the new firmware .500. Also I dont see anybody on this forum mentioning anything about the Gimbal Pan Synchronous Follow. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE WHILE THE MAVIC IS FLYING! The only difference is when the Mavic is turned on sitting on the ground and you yaw then you can see the camera moving, but this doesn't have any effect while in flight! Im a bit upset about not having any info on this.
2017-3-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Fruxen Posted at 2017-2-26 22:52

And P3 series.
2017-3-3
Use props
BigKitty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 148907 ft
Canada

is this what you guys mean? in my footage it seems like the begginig is the worst

2017-3-6
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-3-3 14:12
I had already shared this video here, but Im sharing again to give more footage to this thread of the issue.
Mavic Gimbal Issue

The imu was done right but the compass, want to point it strait down on the second part and get it away from the deck or anything metal. You didn't do a gimbal calibration either. Look at your yaw setting for the other issue
2017-3-6
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-6 21:37
The imu was done right but the compass, want to point it strait down on the second part and get it away from the deck or anything metal. You didn't do a gimbal calibration either. Look at your yaw setting for the other issue

I have done the compass calibration with the quad pointing down as well. This didnt make a difference either. What do you mean the yaw settings? What should I take a look at.

If anyone has an unedited video of their Mavic flying sideways and not tilting the horizon, please post it. I would like to see it.
2017-3-7
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-3-7 12:33
I have done the compass calibration with the quad pointing down as well. This didnt make a difference either. What do you mean the yaw settings? What should I take a look at.

If anyone has an unedited video of their Mavic flying sideways and not tilting the horizon, please post it. I would like to see it.

Do the gimbal auto calibration? Yaw settings are in there. I don't have the updated app so I couldn't tell you where in 4, but it's in there.
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-7 15:01
Do the gimbal auto calibration? Yaw settings are in there. I don't have the updated app so I couldn't tell you where in 4, but it's in there.

I have done the gimbal auto calibration as well. Away from metals or magnets and in a level surface which was checked with a bubble level. The horizon is very straight when the craft is hovering, flying forward or backwards. The tilt comes when is flown sideways.

Yaw settings I have playing with a lot as well. I just thought you had another suggestion
2017-3-7
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-3-7 15:06
I have done the gimbal auto calibration as well. Away from metals or magnets and in a level surface which was checked with a bubble level. The horizon is very straight when the craft is hovering, flying forward or backwards. The tilt comes when is flown sideways.

Yaw settings I have playing with a lot as well. I just thought you had another suggestion

That's about it then. The readings on your imu should be very low when warmed up. If that's the case, maybe it's hardware. I know like gyro2 on mine is always a bit high (hangs around .005). The best seen it is .002 but it soon went back after flights. The rest both accel, gyro1 stays 0 to .001
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-7 15:22
That's about it then. The readings on your imu should be very low when warmed up. If that's the case, maybe it's hardware. I know like gyro2 on mine is always a bit high (hangs around .005). The best seen it is .002 but it soon went back after flights. The rest both accel, gyro1 stays 0 to .001

So you have no issues with tilting horizon when flying sideways? Do you mind posting a quick video?
2017-3-7
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

I posted.. Think I'm like one only people that does post videos. Scroll up the thread and you'll see. Yours looks like the IMU is wacked though. Check your numbers and post back on what you see after the craft has warmed up (your IMU numbers)
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok I will make another flight video tomorrow morning. I will make sure my IMU numbers and the compass numbers.
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

But wait, you do have the issue lol I dont understand. I thought yours was fine.
2017-3-7
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

SnowBirdNL Posted at 2017-3-3 10:14
Very interesting!!

I thought (guessed) that was the part that helped making left to right pan more consistent, even if Mavic itself was fluctuating in the wind.. (regardless that is one of my favorite difference in Mavic over Phantom).

I'm curious as I'm having this issue too.  Did you try turning off the "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow"?  Did it have any effect?
2017-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules