Mavic initiates automatic landing procedure on its own
2394 17 2017-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lxffm
New

Germany

Hi DJI,

I have serious issue with my Mavic which makes it very unreliable to me. I was wondering if it's a firmware issue.

Well, first of, I was taking off in a Class D airspace, at least a notfication popped up. And it popped up every 10 seconds on the screen which ist really annoying. Even though I ticked it off it appeared over and over again. It's also no Class D according to dji.com NFZ map.

But back to the main issue. I've experienced this on two different locations during the last days, when the aircraft was behaving normal in the beginning, while flying around, everything was good. Suddenly aircraft was telling me that it initiated landing (it was somwhere around 80m high). And it started to descent I was unable to cancel this process on the screen, the red button with the 'X' was faded out (greyed out) so I was unable to push it. It wasn't RTH, just simply landing. So I had to urgently head to the home point before the aircraft was landing in a tree. Battery was at 60% at a distance of 200m. GPS and Sensors working normal. As I'm not able to explain how the actual circumstances lead to initiating the landing, it feels pretty much unreliable to me. I'm a little anxious in using the Mavic, never knowing if it will return.

On the first location, the controller was beeping very annoying quite some time, it was like a alarm beeping without any notification or warning on the screen (not the slow RTH beeping, more linke 6 to 8 quick beeps). I am unable to associate this to a warning or such. But today the beeping haven't happened.

I'm not to much practiced with the Mavic, although I was with the Phantom 3 Pro. That never happened to me with th Phantom before.

Can you help with it?

BR,
Alexander
2017-2-26
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Look up Ex Machina, he had a thread about dmz and how he got an exception from dji to whitelist the area he flys in. He can fly it into the whitehouse and spy on donald now if he wanted.
2017-2-26
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Battery critical level?
2017-2-26
Use props
Safari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

daivatam Posted at 2017-2-26 16:24
Battery critical level?

He wrote battery was at 60%!
2017-2-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-26 14:20
Look up Ex Machina, he had a thread about dmz and how he got an exception from dji to whitelist the area he flys in. He can fly it into the whitehouse and spy on donald now if he wanted.

Hmm, now you're giving me ideas...  ;)
2017-2-26
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536768 ft
Singapore

Keep an eye on your VPS clearance while mid flight. You might be having the same issues as described in this thread.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-77495-1-1.html
2017-2-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

It does kind of sound like what I ran into when I was flying outside-of-but-near-to the Washington, DC RFZ border, are you with a mile or two of a no fly zone?
2017-2-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please sync your flight records from the DJI Go app and provide me with your DJI go account email and the date this occurred?
I'll help to check on it .
By the way, is your DJI go account email the same as your forum email?
2017-2-26
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

If you upload this to happy drones it should show a bunch of notification information. Might explain what happened and you can link it here.
2017-2-26
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

see my previous post here:

there are also others who have reported this issue...if FW update doesn't fix, it's an RMA:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-80814-1-1.html

good luck!

dave
2017-2-26
Use props
lxffm
New

Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-26 19:41
Could you please sync your flight records from the DJI Go app and provide me with your DJI go account email and the date this occurred?
I'll help to check on it .
By the way, is your DJI go account email the same as your forum email?

Hi Mindy,

thanks for the quick reply. Yes DJI Go Account is the same as my forum account, do you need the mail adress however?

I've synced all flights, and the dates I've experienced the landing issues were 3 or more times on the 19/02/2017 and 1 time on 26/02/2017. Always with sufficient battery and unlike the guy on the other thread I was unable to cancel the landing process. The notification from the autolanding function where it states "well I'm 0,5m above ground should I proceed landing - swipe to land" doesn't pop up.

By the way on my first flight on 12/02/2017, I didn't experienced landing issue, but while heading home in a height of 120m or so, collision avoidance system telling me every few meters that it avoided a coliision and stopped immediately. I had to disable collision detection to get back control of the flight without continous interruption. Don't want to imagine what have happened in case RC lost connection and it would had RTH on it's own. I think it would never have returned. Maybe your engineers could check on that as well. Seems the sensor system is messed up a bit.

Thanks in advance.

BR,
Alexander  
2017-2-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

lxffm Posted at 2017-2-27 05:51
Hi Mindy,

thanks for the quick reply. Yes DJI Go Account is the same as my forum account, do you need the mail adress however?

HI Alexander, I have reviewed your flight records.
Could you please clarify your current firmware version?
If the firmware was up to date, I'd suggest you to send it in for further further diagnosis.
If not, please update the firmware to latest version and test again.
2017-2-28
Use props
lxffm
New

Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-28 02:22
HI Alexander, I have reviewed your flight records.
Could you please clarify your current firmware version?
If the firmware was up to date, I'd suggest you to send it in for further further diagnosis.

Hi Mindy,

I was actually on the previous one. I've updated to the latest version yesterday evening and will give it a try in the next days. If the issue will show up again I will check back with you for sending it in.

BR,
Alex
2017-2-28
Use props
sharif0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI, may I suggest a revision that will eliminate these random auto-landing procedures.  I do not understand the logic that if a drone accidentally, intentionally, or due to GPS/firmware issues...enters a no-fly zone that it immediately and unsafely lands.  Why can't the software simply ask the drone to RTH or leave the restricted airspace?  Technology is not fool proof and I think this one small change to the firmware would solve a lot of these random and seemingly unexplained auto-landing events.  

In my opinion, there there is a much greater danger to life and property if a drone arbitrarily decides to auto land rather than straying into restricted airspace for a few moments until it returns to home.  I am not at all condoning flying in restricted space, but I don't think the current state of drone tech is capable 100% of the time verifying that a bird is in restricted or unrestricted airspace.

I hope I have provided some constructive criticisms of some simple improvements that can be made to the firmware.

2017-2-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

lxffm Posted at 2017-2-28 03:43
Hi Mindy,

I was actually on the previous one. I've updated to the latest version yesterday evening and will give it a try in the next days. If the issue will show up again I will check back with you for sending it in.

Thank you for your kindly reply.
Please keep us posted.:-)
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

sharif0 Posted at 2017-2-28 05:46
DJI, may I suggest a revision that will eliminate these random auto-landing procedures.  I do not understand the logic that if a drone accidentally, intentionally, or due to GPS/firmware issues...enters a no-fly zone that it immediately and unsafely lands.  Why can't the software simply ask the drone to RTH or leave the restricted airspace?  Technology is not fool proof and I think this one small change to the firmware would solve a lot of these random and seemingly unexplained auto-landing events.  

In my opinion, there there is a much greater danger to life and property if a drone arbitrarily decides to auto land rather than straying into restricted airspace for a few moments until it returns to home.  I am not at all condoning flying in restricted space, but I don't think the current state of drone tech is capable 100% of the time verifying that a bird is in restricted or unrestricted airspace.

We do appreciate the feedback and will pass the suggestion to the appropriate team for review.
2017-2-28
Use props
sharif0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-28 23:43
We do appreciate the feedback and will pass the suggestion to the appropriate team for review.

Great. I don't know if it's a coicidence or not, but I noticed a new firmware update for my mavic this morning.  One of the changes was to the "no-fly-zone management".
2017-3-2
Use props
mtnphotoman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 187940 ft

United States

Just had the same problem.
I've had my Mavic Pro for over a year now, and am an experienced pilot. I fly it at least 2-3 times a week just to stay in practice, and consider myself to be a competent pilot with it.

I was out flying my Mavic Pro, completely away from ANY restricted airspace or geofencing. Around my neighborhood as always with no problems.
I was out getting used to the fixed wing mode, and having a great time.
Everything was going smoothly as usual, until I came close to the limit (25%) on the battery power. So, like always I hit the return-to-home and was watching my drone start heading back for a regular landing.
Unfortunately at just the wrong time a headwind started to pick up and getting home was going to be close, but still possible. However the battery level was dropping quickly, and then at 13% battery the drone went into it's automatic landing mode.
I tried to cancel the automatic landing mode so I could fly it another 50 feet to the road where I could land safely.
However when I went to cancel the automatic landing mode, the button was grey and I was unable to cancel it. I tried everything I knew to get out of the mode while I still had about 10-13% battery, but nothing happened!
I've had to do this before (with less than 10% battery), and successfully cancelled the auto landing mode, flew the drone about 300 feet to a safe landing site.

However when I tried to do just that, I COULD NOT CANCEl THE AUTO LANDING!

I'm fighting with the controller, trying to figure out what was happening and the drone just hovered above a bunch of pine trees because it wasn't a good landing place.

If I were able to cancel the auto-landing, fly it manually another 190 feet I would have been able to land easily and safely on a dirt road.
Instead the controls would not respond to anything, and eventually the drone ran out of battery power, the props stopped and it landed in the top of an 80-foot tall pine tree!
It looked like it had a rather soft landing in the tree, I just hope it wasn't damaged.
Since the forest is so dense it's difficult to even find it, I'll have to go back out tomorrow and search for it. I don't even know if I'll be able to see it up in the tree.

So my question is why the hell did DJI make it so you can no longer cancel the auto landing? You used to be able to do so, but now you cannot!
If I had been able to cancel the auto-landing like before my Mavic Pro would not be stuck 80 feet up a pine tree!
DJI should have warned all its users about this critically important change to the firmware, had I known I would have changed how I fly it.
DJI FIX THIS, NOTIFY YOUR CUSTOMERS WHEN YOU MAKE RADICAL CHANGES THAT COULD AFFECT THE SAFETY OF OPERATING A DRONE!

2019-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules