RANGE EXTENDER
4631 35 2017-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JGOFDJI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2648 ft

United States

I AM INTERESTED IN RANGE EXTENDERS, NOT NECESSARILY TO GO FARTHER, JUST TO HELP ENSURE I DONT LOSE SIGNAL TO BEGIN WITH. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE ANTENNAE TYPE NOT WIFES OLD REYNOLDS WRAP TWISTED UP IN A CYLINDRICAL SHAPE AND DUCT TAPED TO THE ANTENNAE. ANY SUGGESTIONS. I HAVE A NEW P4P AND HAVNT FLOWN IT YET. IM SCARED. I DONT KNOW IF I WILL EVER FLY IT. I AM TAKING EVERY PRECAUTION. I MIGHT PLAY WITH THE SIMULATOR TONITE OR TOMMOROW. WE WILL SEE. I SEE ALL KINDS OF CRAZY STUFF ON THE WEB BUT IT LOOKS LIKE CHINEASE JUNK. I AM INEXPERIENCED IN THE SUBJECT. THANKS TO ALL WHO MAY RESPOND.

2017-2-26
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. I'm not sure why you are scared to use it, so long as you understand what the options available for it are (i.e. read the manual), enable as appropriate (such as 'RTH if signal lost'), and perhaps do a few flights in Beginner Mode (on by default). The P4 and P4P are incredibly easy to fly and very stable. Find an grassy oval somewhere and practise.

Regarding the signal boosters, they are only helpful if you keep the antenna pointing (90 degrees) at the craft's general position. If the craft flies overhead, or perhaps behind you, the booster actually becomes a hindrance to signal. Don't get hung up on this option so early JGOFDJI - go out and fly your P4P first.
2017-2-26
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

dbs mod is a good one. i had no luck with argtek it literally HALFED my range. the dbs mod DOUBLED my range.

both are antenna replacements not add-ons. you have to take apart the rc and unplug stock antennas
2017-2-26
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
United States

i wouldnt worry about a p4p i have the standard
2017-2-26
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
United States

dbs mod is a good one. i had no luck with argtek it literally HALFED my range. the dbs mod DOUBLED my range.

both are antenna replacements not add-ons. you have to take apart the rc and unplug stock antennas
2017-2-26
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

No way you would need any form of range extender for quite some time. After all, you should be within the restrictions of "Beginner Mode" for as long as it takes to get comfortable with the controls. "Beginner Mode" is very very limited in range and height. Once you are ready to get out of beginner mode you will not need any range extender since you will be flying a good while line of sight, which isn't all that far. If you still insist on some sort of extender I wouldn't trust the windsurfer style until you are familiar with it's limited directional operation.
Don't forget to register it with the FAA before your first flight.
2017-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

If you find you need more range, better penetration, a more robust signal, etc., first thing I'd do is go with the windsurfer.  It's worth a look because it's ten bucks and takes ten seconds of your time to install.  Don't dismiss it because it's easy and cheap.

If that doesnt' cut it, second thing I'd do is go with the ITELITE dbs mod.  

2017-2-26
Use props
Kmims
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51014 ft
United States

We've all been in the same boat. It'll fly great and has terrific range out of the box. I'm still and have only gone 2000" or so away, but I still had full signal strength.
2017-2-26
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LOS am getting over 19000' with NO signal loss.... Who needs range extenders???
2017-2-26
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-26 19:41
If you find you need more range, better penetration, a more robust signal, etc., first thing I'd do is go with the windsurfer.  It's worth a look because it's ten bucks and takes ten seconds of your time to install.  Don't dismiss it because it's easy and cheap.

If that doesnt' cut it, second thing I'd do is go with the ITELITE dbs mod.

Or just cut a beer can in half... does the same thing and you get a nice drink as well.
2017-2-26
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Yup  8860ft range.  Can probably do a little more if good weather. Phantom 3 Standard Argetk kit.

2017-2-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-26 21:56
Or just cut a beer can in half... does the same thing and you get a nice drink as well.

Aloha Crusader,

As they say, waste not, want not!  What would sustainability be without guys like us!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha JGO,

Check out the video and the photos of this previous thread;

http://forum.dji.com/thread-60563-1-1.html

There is plenty there to help you sort it out.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-26
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136273 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-26 21:56

I actually made a set out of Bud Light cans. They worked surprisingly well as long as I pointed the remote towards the Drone.
2017-2-27
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

Since you have a P4P , DBS itelite dont make an antenna yet for the P4P due to the dual frequency, so the skyreat copper parabolic antenna is the option for you. I use them on my P4P and I have a full 5 bars signal on RC and VIdeo at 2.5 km range. They take 10 seconds to fit , no brainer really.  FPVLR do make a set of circular polarised antennas for the P4P which work over both frequencies. But the cost is probably 10 times what the skyreats will cost you.

DSC_0157.jpg
2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Hi Spike, serious looking piece of kit there.
2017-2-27
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

Yeah but the circular polarization gives much better connectivity through trees and when the AC is at right angles to the controller. Normal left or right polarization gives a momentary disconnect when the craft turns at right angles to the controller. There are quite a few videos on you tube discussing this particular problem with polarization.
2017-2-27
Use props
ElDaddyoyoyo
lvl.1

United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-2-27 04:07
Since you have a P4P , DBS itelite dont make an antenna yet for the P4P due to the dual frequency, so the skyreat copper parabolic antenna is the option for you. I use them on my P4P and I have a full 5 bars signal on RC and VIdeo at 2.5 km range. They take 10 seconds to fit , no brainer really.  FPVLR do make a set of circular polarised antennas for the P4P which work over both frequencies. But the cost is probably 10 times what the skyreats will cost you.

Do they have this option for the P3A?
2017-2-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes - that's an excellent point.  The P4P has the unique feature of being able to toggle from 2.4 ghz to 5.8 ghz and back again.  And so any "tuned" antenna you get will work best for one and not well at all for the other.  

The windsurfer works for both frequencies.

As far as linear / circular, it's hard to make a blanket assessment of what's best in every case.  There are valid arguments for both.  Linear is certainly easier and cheaper, as you don't have to mod the AC, since linear is stock.  My experience reading through the forums is that, in general, most pilots find the LITELITE (linear) provides a little better performance over FPVLR (circular).  But again, it depends on your particular flying environment.  I actually have both, and for me, I found the ITELITE to provide better range.  

Regardless, if you do decide to go with a better antenna someday, you'd have to decide what frequency is best for you, first.  And then be willing to stay in that frequency.  Because your modded antenna will match that frequency.  

If you're interested, take a look at what the world class distance guys use for their P3s (2.4 ghz):  http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -leaderboard.76464/

2017-2-27
Use props
JGOFDJI
lvl.1

United States

wow, 60,000 feet plus, thats amazing. will a p4p pro go farther? i went to the maxx website and they didnt list a antennae extenderfor p4p. just the p4.
2017-2-27
Use props
JGOFDJI
lvl.1

United States

hahaha im 2000 dollars scared is what it is. i am anxious to fly it, just afraid it will fly away or run into the little guy or a tree. next month im having all the trees ripped out of the property (water supply pipe for the city) so i am going to play with the simulator until then.
2017-2-27
Use props
Rhino9872
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5912037 ft
  • >>>
United States

I need a battery booster, not a range extender. I always have to turn around because my battery is too low.   As long as you have a good line of sight then you'll be fine.
2017-2-27
Use props
DBR
New

Australia

Hi Guys . I have a DJI Phantom 3s. My problem after an antenna extension install is that my aircraft will not hover after auto take off. I functions well in all other aspects of flight but the auto take off is not hovering. Any ideas. Many thanks and appreciation in advance....

DBR
2017-2-27
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

Battery boosters for the P4P seem to be problematic because of the weight issue. The P3 series seem to take the battery mods without too many problems. The extra weight of batteries has been snapping P4 and P4P frames. The FPVLR circular polarized antenna work with both 5.8 and 2.4 ghz frequencies. There are some comments here and on other forums that suggest that each of the two P4P antennas work on different frequencies, this is not the case, or DBS Itelite would have produced an antenna set for the P4P by now. The antenna on the P4P are one for RC transmit and one for Video receive, of which both can work on either frequency. A 5.8 ghz dedicated antenna will burn out the transmit receive module if it switches to 2.4 ghz. Hence the problem with the P4P and lack of aftermarket modded antennas.

I have been searching for this for a while for the P4P and DBS Itelite have told me that they are field testing an antenna system for the P4P as we speak and expect to have them in production by mid March.
2017-2-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DBR Posted at 2017-2-27 18:20
Hi Guys . I have a DJI Phantom 3s. My problem after an antenna extension install is that my aircraft will not hover after auto take off. I functions well in all other aspects of flight but the auto take off is not hovering. Any ideas. Many thanks and appreciation in advance....

DBR

What mod did you do? Antenna extension should'nt have any influence on the drone flying, as its mostly increase of gain or directional modding. Does it drift horizontally or is it vertically unstable? Try a IMU calibration and check your props just to be sure.
2017-2-28
Use props
DBR
New

Australia

Mariuss Posted at 2017-2-28 00:35
What mod did you do? Antenna extension should'nt have any influence on the drone flying, as its mostly increase of gain or directional modding. Does it drift horizontally or is it vertically unstable? Try a IMU calibration and check your props just to be sure.

Hi Mate, The problem is that the aircraft turns off after a few seconds of take off. I then re tried to use the auto take off and the function fails to work. Have re calibrated the MUI but to no joy. Thanks for your input .

DBR
2017-2-28
Use props
DBR
New

Australia

DBR Posted at 2017-2-28 03:25
Hi Mate, The problem is that the aircraft turns off after a few seconds of take off. I then re tried to use the auto take off and the function fails to work. Have re calibrated the MUI but to no joy. Thanks for your input .

DBR

Sorry I failed to tell you I used a 5.8 long shaft extension with 2 flat panel 2.4 gh antennas. AGTech type.
DBR
2017-2-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DBR Posted at 2017-2-28 03:25

DBR

Hi again! Does it autoland  or turn off while elevated causing it to fall to the ground? Do you get any warning regarding battery levels? Did any of this occur befor you installed the ARGTech?  You say it works well in all other aspects, is this only if you stick input right away after takeoff? Does it hover after you have flown some?
2017-2-28
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Go and fly the baby. I know what you mean and can appreciate your feeling edgy more so after reading a lot of neg experiences here..  Read the manual. Understand RTH and how it works. Test RTH. As someone mentioned go with beginner mode.  Maybe just at first keep it facing forwards only so you dont lose orientation.

Fully understand RTH. Set the height to higher than any surroundings. Set failsafe to Return to home.  

At first just play with taking off and landing. Both auto and manual.   Then start moving forward left right back and just take baby steps.

It really is very easy to fly a DJi and you will pick it up very fast.

Have fun and enjoy flying.
2017-2-28
Use props
DBR
New

Australia

Mariuss Posted at 2017-2-28 07:48
Hi again! Does it autoland  or turn off while elevated causing it to fall to the ground? Do you get any warning regarding battery levels? Did any of this occur befor you installed the ARGTech?  You say it works well in all other aspects, is this only if you stick input right away after takeoff? Does it hover after you have flown some?

Hi Mate. I haven't flown it yet with propellers as I don't feel like it will fly. The auto take off worked befor the changes to the antenna system, again without propellers. The manual take of  works fine as the motors work and spin up well . Auto land works then . Maybe it needs altitude to hover at and if the aircraft doesn't achieve this if shuts down. .Thanks for your interest .
2017-2-28
Use props
DBR
New

Australia

Mariuss Posted at 2017-2-28 07:48

Hi Mate. I haven't flown it yet with propellers as I don't feel like it will fly. The auto take off worked befor the changes to the antenna system, again without propellers. The manual take of  works fine as the motors work and spin up well . Auto land works then . Maybe it needs altitude to hover at and if the aircraft doesn't achieve this if shuts down. .Thanks for your interest .
2017-2-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DBR Posted at 2017-2-28 18:07

Ah i see! I had a similar issue ( the day i sold my old P34K indeed..) with magnetic interference. I'm not saying thats the answer to this cause tho! I guess by manual takeoff u mean csc? Does the motors spin up to higher speed than usual when you try autotakeoff and then shut off? I've would have tested outdoors with propellers on again (as you say, maybe the ultrasonic doesnt get what it wants and "lands" again). I cant see how an antenna mod would change any of the commands unless you have tickled something else in the controller.
2017-3-1
Use props
DBR
New

Australia

Mariuss Posted at 2017-3-1 01:26
Ah i see! I had a similar issue ( the day i sold my old P34K indeed..) with magnetic interference. I'm not saying thats the answer to this cause tho! I guess by manual takeoff u mean csc? Does the motors spin up to higher speed than usual when you try autotakeoff and then shut off? I've would have tested outdoors with propellers on again (as you say, maybe the ultrasonic doesnt get what it wants and "lands" again). I cant see how an antenna mod would change any of the commands unless you have tickled something else in the controller.

Hi Mate,
Finally got the aircraft going. I reinstalled the djigo app , drained and re energised the battery and remote controller and  used a different take off spot to take off from. It worked perfectly. May have been magnetic interference as there was a electrical substation nearby. All good here.

I want  to thank you for your ideas and input. You were a great help in listening to my problem. Many thanks mate . She will be apples .As we say in Oz Downunder Australia.
2017-3-1
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

DBR Posted at 2017-3-1 04:16
Hi Mate,
Finally got the aircraft going. I reinstalled the djigo app , drained and re energised the battery and remote controller and  used a different take off spot to take off from. It worked perfectly. May have been magnetic interference as there was a electrical substation nearby. All good here.

Electrical substations.. will ruin your day lol
2017-3-1
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DBR Posted at 2017-3-1 04:16
Hi Mate,

Great news DBR! It may have been reinstalling the app that fixed it, but most likely the transformator substation. No problem and happy flying catch'ya later m8!
2017-3-1
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

Fair dinkum DBR, "she'll be right"!
2017-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules