Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Icing in fog
997 2 2017-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb9492185
lvl.1
United States

Launched the Mavic into some heavy fog yesterday with near disastrous results! I've flown in and around fog before and although at one time I saw a very small formation of ice crystals, I never thought it would get this bad.
My goal was to fly just above the cloud and snap a picture, but only a minute and 25 seconds and 400' up, the Mavic read "Battery Current Overcharge". The Mavic went into return home and could not be overridden. When the quad finally came into view at about 100'', I could see it was behaving erratically and motor rpm's were near full even though it was decending. Finally overrode return home and got some control but the thing acted like it was drunk. After negotiating my way back I managed to hard land at me feet. Immediately the problem became obvious...
The motors and battery were hot to the touch and the drone was covered in moisture. I have not flown since (drying out) but I am hoping I did not do major damage to the motors or the battery. Anyway just fair warning for everyone else! Most people seem pretty cautious, understandably so, but I do like to fly a little in the edge just for fun.im wondering what everyone uses for protection against moisture? I have friends that use CorrisionX? I might try it, but I'm wanting something that is dry to the touch. Any ideas?
Temp 20 degrees, Ice fog, Alaska
2017-2-28
Use props
erhard
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78665 ft
  • >>>

Come on - what do u expect? You want to operate a mavic outside of its specification? Flying in a cold and humid environment means that you have to deal with ice. That is something every flying craft has to deal with. Maybe the next iteration of the Mavic will be capable of dealing with low temperatures. But until then I recommend to use it within its specification. I don't think that DJI CARE will apply here when u crash your Mavic in such conditions.

2017-2-28
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

how is your mavic now?  i have the same, but not icey condition. see my post..
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules