Polar Pro ND filters
1079 13 2017-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
twh1968
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi ,

does anyone use the Polar Pro Nd filters ( not the cinema ) ?  I can't get the ND8 off , its completley stuck and i'm scared to death i'm going to damage the gimbal , but I now cant fly as the gimbal wont calibrate with the filter attached !! Can anyone please help ?
2017-2-28
Use props
SkySailorMan
First Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

Put the Mavic body in the freezer for an hour and see if that helps. Though be careful if the air in your home is particularly humid. You could get some condensation inside the body when you remove it from the freezer.
2017-2-28
Use props
twh1968
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Seriously ... the freezer . !!!
2017-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-28 14:02
Seriously ... the freezer . !!!

WD 40.......
2017-2-28
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is a video on how to remove the filter:

-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-2-28
Use props
Gagaryn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6447 ft
United Kingdom

SkySailorMan Posted at 2017-2-28 13:05
Put the Mavic body in the freezer for an hour and see if that helps. Though be careful if the air in your home is particularly humid. You could get some condensation inside the body when you remove it from the freezer.

Don't do this. {:4_157:}
2017-2-28
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

should've put some lube on it first "slip and slide"
2017-2-28
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i find twisting helps
2017-2-28
Use props
SkySailorMan
First Officer
United States

Why not? What am I missing? No battery would be installed...heck, some people FLY them in sub-freezing temps well below the 32 F operational limitation stated in the manual. Other than potential surface condensation, what's the issue? A couple thousandths of an inch in contraction could loosen the fit enough to easily remove the filter.
2017-2-28
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

The camera may contract in the freezer but so will the ND filter..The filters are lined with a foam on the inside. I don't get how can it be  stuck so bad that it won't come off.
2017-2-28
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Polar video was saying you have hotdog fingers
2017-2-28
Use props
SkySailorMan
First Officer
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2017-2-28 14:37
Here is a video on how to remove the filter:https://vimeo.com/205272996

-Jeff from PolarPro

When installing and removing the PolarPro filters on mine, I do it with the plastic gimbal brace snapped in place. With the tips of my fingers grasping both the plastic brace and the camera with one hand, and manipulating the filter with the other, I've had zero problems so far. I've found the fit to be perfectly snug.

I bought the cinematic 6-pack (vivid and shutter) - love these new filters. They all ride through gimbal initialization without a hitch.
2017-3-1
Use props
Gagaryn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6447 ft
United Kingdom

SkySailorMan Posted at 2017-2-28 19:20
Why not? What am I missing? No battery would be installed...heck, some people FLY them in sub-freezing temps well below the 32 F operational limitation stated in the manual. Other than potential surface condensation, what's the issue? A couple thousandths of an inch in contraction could loosen the fit enough to easily remove the filter.

What do you think would contract first, the camera or the filter?

There is a reason why in other applications when heat is used to remove seized components it is to expand the stuck item rather than to try to contract the item it is seized to.
2017-3-1
Use props
SkySailorMan
First Officer
United States

Gagaryn Posted at 2017-3-1 04:43
What do you think would contract first, the camera or the filter?

There is a reason why in other applications when heat is used to remove seized components it is to expand the stuck item rather than to try to contract the item it is seized to.

Camera or filter first? Don't know for sure, but yes, I'd suspect the filter. But I also know that different metals expand and contract at different rates. Point is it's worth a TRY, no? If it works, great! If not, Plan B...
2017-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules