Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do I need to send my Mavic in for repair?
1186 7 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Loganx1121
lvl.1
United States

I "lightly" crashed the mavic into the side of building. It was more like I bumped into it really not going very fast at all. No broken props or anything and it didn't even lose an altitude, but I started seeing a "abormal gimbal vibration" warning in the app afterward.

Someone linked me a youtube video of how to make sure the gimbal was inserted correctly, did that and it was. So I fiddled with the gimbal a bit and then flew it again. No vibration error this time, but I noticed a really bad horizon tilt when yawing right or left with the drone. It took it a good 2-3 seconds to level the horizon after the turn, which was something I had never seen before.

Mind you, all the while this is going on I'm doing automatic gimbal cal's through the app left and right.

So I recalibrated the 2 front cameras with the assistant 2 app. I had been reading that sometimes an IMU cal would fix stuff like this, so I checked the IMU settings on the app and they were all green, but I recal'd the IMU anyway. Flew it again, and the horizon tilt issue seemed better to non-existant, but...

While I was testing it after the new IMU cal, I had it landed in my driveway and I was messing with the app settings. Not gimbal or camera settings mind you. Props spinning, motors on, and as I'm fiddling around with the app menus I suddenly get a "gimbal motor overloaded" error. There was very little wind and the bracket on the gimbal was removed.

Also, I noticed that if I put it in sport mode and hover the drone so it's facing me, then 360 it to the right, when the camera is facing me again it's just slightly askew and off center. If I do the same thing but 360 to the left, the camera seems perfectly centered. I don't know if this is normal or not but figured it would be worth mentioning.

There was no damage to the drone from my "bump" aside from a few scuff marks on the right front arm's landing stick. I sort of gently went sideways into the building that way. Was probably going less than 10 mph when I bumped it.

I don't think a non-head-on bump at the speed I was going should screw up the gimbal or whatever, but I figured someone else may no better. I only got the gimbal motor overload error the one time, but being that it was landed and not doing anything that kind of worried me.

I've heard horror stories about DJI care refresh and how long it's taken people to get their drones back, so the question is, did that little bump really mess something up or are the horizon tilt, overload error and the rest of it just isolated "glitches"?

Also running the latest firmware, app and all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help.
2017-3-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Try pulling back the gmbal very gently toward the end limit an release it. See if this work! but very gently!
2017-3-1
Use props
Loganx1121
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-1 07:40
Try pulling back the gmbal very gently toward the end limit an release it. See if this work! but very gently!

Sorry.  Toward the drone or away from it?
2017-3-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Loganx1121 Posted at 2017-3-1 07:47
Sorry.  Toward the drone or away from it?

Try first Upward, then shut down. turn on and then keep an eye on the gimbal while initiating. Then do AUT gimbal calibration.

If doesn't work try the other way with the same steps. Good Luck!
2017-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You did most of the things you should do, and good info from dronist, just check your props if there are any scratches or chips bin them you will only end up getting unnecessary vibration. Good luck..
2017-3-1
Use props
Loganx1121
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-1 16:49
You did most of the things you should do, and good info from dronist, just check your props if there are any scratches or chips bin them you will only end up getting unnecessary vibration. Good luck..

Actually had changed the props the day before with a fresh set and made sure they were all in well after I got the motor error.  Thanks for the advice though.
2017-3-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about your crash.
For your flight safety, I'd suggest you to send it in for further diagnosis and repair.
Normally, the turn-around time is about 2 week after been received at the facility.
2017-3-2
Use props
Loganx1121
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-2 00:12
Sorry to hear about your crash.
For your flight safety, I'd suggest you to send it in for further diagnosis and repair.
Normally, the turn-around time is about 2 week after been received at the facility.

As I said it wasn't a crash it was more of a "oops I bumped into that".  The drone flies fine.  I've had it out several times since then and there is no reduction in the performance.  I'm just concerned over these gimbal glitches.  I call them glitches because it's not constant.  

I can only send my mavic back under the care refresh twice, so I'd like to save those for things that actually make it so it is unusable, like an actual crash or a more severe gimbal malfunction.

Last time I had it out, I had no horizon tilt and no gimbal issues, so unless that gets worse or I actually crash the thing it doesn't seem worth it to use 1 our of my 2 repairs covered by the care refresh.  
2017-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules