First test flight, indoor or outdoor?
1005 14 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Only1Junior
lvl.1
United States

Hey guys what's up? I'm a first time drone user I have never touched a drone in my life. I just ordered my Mavic Pro, waiting to receive it. I have watched videos, read allot.

My question is my first flight should be outdoor like in a large open area like a park or something or should I try indoor first?

I'm a bit nervous on my first flight, one I don't want to loose it outdoor nor break it indoor.

Some help, comments, opinion well greatly be appreciated..

Thanks!
2017-3-1
Use props
Infidex
New

Portugal

Take it outside, find yourself a nice big open area away from others.  The drone isn't going to take off and run away on it's own.  Just take your time, there are tons of first flight and set up video's online for the Mavic (search youtube) that may be helpful.  You'll be amazed at how easy it is to fly and how stable it is, just go through start up process, calibrate it, and once it's in the air you'll be hovering a few feet above ground, so just take your time, fly out a bit and come back until your comfortable.  Be sure to keep line of sight to it when you get brave enough to go out and explore.  Welcome to the Drone Club!  
2017-3-1
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The more room you have for maneuvering the less likely you are to crash, so a large open (clear of obstructions like trees, power lines, buildings, etc.) space outdoors is definitely better.
2017-3-1
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Open large outdoor area would be best.
2017-3-1
Use props
Infidex
New

Portugal

Be sure to update firmware before flying, don't skip over that.  Also, the app should have a beginner mode of some safety mode that makes you only able to fly so high and so far away, so you can leave that on your first flight or so.  
2017-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey Only1junior, first thing you really have to do is read the Manual, if you have already you missed the part where it tells you to go to an open space.

I have seen so many first indoor flights end in disaster, you really need to master flying outdoors, you've shelved out a lot of money for your AC you don't want it going down the tubes on day one.

When you get your AC make sure set it up properly watch all the tutorial videos they can be found here on this forum, and don't skip the Manual.

Indoor flying takes a bit of learning how the aircraft works and plenty of skill.

Good aviators don't take chances, they build on their experience and knowledge, so start slowly and expand on your experience and knowledge base by building on each exercise you complete.

Good luck..
2017-3-1
Use props
Juni0r
lvl.1
United States

Guys! Thanks allot for your replies..!
2017-3-1
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

The only indoor you should do is perhaps to test the simulator just as a little starter. Take it easy and just have fun.
2017-3-1
Use props
Heineken
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4755367 ft
Sweden

Indoor flight should only be done when you now waht all the sticks command do with the drone, a smal mistake and its  crash in to the wall.
2017-3-2
Use props
Gagaryn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6447 ft
United Kingdom

Weather was crap when I got mine and i have no patience - my first cautious flight was in my tiny flat!

2017-3-2
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Gagaryn Posted at 2017-3-2 11:18
Weather was crap when I got mine and i have no patience - my first cautious flight was in my tiny flat!

https://youtu.be/zifuzYmdO5g

Very brave for first flight.
All I could think about whilst watching is the Magnets in those speakers!
2017-3-2
Use props
Gagaryn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6447 ft
United Kingdom

VAS67 Posted at 2017-3-2 11:28
Very brave for first flight.
All I could think about whilst watching is the Magnets in those speakers!

No GPS in any case, think that's all that it would be affected by magnetic field. It did go into options mode though so felt safe. I've not repeated it though!
2017-3-2
Use props
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Just got my first drone today(Mavic pro) I'm just taking it easy in my garden to get a feel for it before I go for some far out scenic shoots.

What was really scary, I ascended in my garden, and a seagull came out of nowhere swooping for it, came back down pronto, so there is one tip I found out, watch out for birds.

My thinking is, take it slow, you have loads of time to practice, but you will only get one go at crashing it.
2017-3-2
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Gagaryn Posted at 2017-3-2 12:04
No GPS in any case, think that's all that it would be affected by magnetic field. It did go into options mode though so felt safe. I've not repeated it though!

GPS is radio, not magnetic.  The compass is magnetic.
2017-3-2
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Gagaryn Posted at 2017-3-2 12:04

GPS is radio, not magnetic.  The compass is magnetic.
2017-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules