1089 12 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Please move this to the race forum when it's open

The advice I've had is to stop stable mode flying altogether, go Acro and don't ever go back. You'll learn bad habbits from stable modes.

But I'm really struggling with cornering, pitch forward to get a little speed, yaw and roll left to keep the rotation on the correct plane, but it always picks up speed as I turn. Gets out of shape so quickly. If I drop the throttle then I loose height, if I try and pitch back a little while yawing and rolling it goes completely wrong.

Tips welcome

2017-3-1
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It might be just the general characteristics of the flight controller.  The method you've described and tried is how I corner my helicopter and planes but quads do react a bit differently. The next time I fly my P3A I'll give it a good blast in atti and see if I observe the same as you.
2017-3-2
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 2017-3-2 10:44
It might be just the general characteristics of the flight controller.  The method you've described and tried is how I corner my helicopter and planes but quads do react a bit differently. The next time I fly my P3A I'll give it a good blast in atti and see if I observe the same as you.

Thanks. By the way this was not with a Phantom, it's a Blade Inductrix mini thing in full acro / rates mode. Not sure if you could simulate that with the P3.

Thinking now it's just the sticks are so sensitive and I'm giving it more pitch as I turn, doesn't take much 1-2 degree change and it's off at high speed. Maybe I need to get the goggles on to see the horizon, line of sight doesn't seem very easy in acro

Want to get it right before buying the DJI Snail kit

2017-3-2
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

10 batteries later, I've sussed it out. Forget line of sight and get in the goggles, I can see the tilt and maintain much better control. Did 2 laps of the room without crashing
2017-3-2
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah, the Inductrix!!  I've got one of those!  They definitely are a handful even for skilled pilots in rate/acro mode.  I fly mine in stability using either the goggles or my FPV monitor (the monitor is a bit better due to the higher resolution screen).
2017-3-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's good to hear your getting the 'kinks' out before you build your own with the Snail Tuned Propulsion Kit.
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 2017-3-3 03:59
Ah, the Inductrix!!  I've got one of those!  They definitely are a handful even for skilled pilots in rate/acro mode.  I fly mine in stability using either the goggles or my FPV monitor (the monitor is a bit better due to the higher resolution screen).

I quite like the monitor it comes with, but I do love getting in the goggles now. Taking them off every 30 seconds to recover an upside down quad is a pain, why does it always crash upside down!

Really enjoy buzzing it around in stable mode, but bad habits aren't going to help me. Took it down the pub yesterday, up and down the bar, through the kitchens, under the tables, almost went in some guys pint so decided enough was enough before he punched me.

Hopefully next week I'll be out in the open with my eachine wizard, fewer walls, sofas and dogs to crash into. Shopping list tomorrow, GPS tracker, 500 props and tree climbing equipment

Have you got a racer or anything acro outdoors?
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-3 13:01
It's good to hear your getting the 'kinks' out before you build your own with the Snail Tuned Propulsion Kit.

Thought I better, would have got very expensive by now. It's like going back to day one of flying again.

But why did they call it Snail ? Slow and slimey with a hard shell.
2017-3-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-3 13:22
Thought I better, would have got very expensive by now. It's like going back to day one of flying again.

But why did they call it Snail ? Slow and slimey with a hard shell.

Yea, it's kind of an oxymoron. I don't quite get it either, unless they're trying to compare its size to a snail.
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-3 13:41
Yea, it's kind of an oxymoron. I don't quite get it either, unless they're trying to compare its size to a snail.

I even tried to research the Chinese translation of snail, maybe it's the year of the snail, or it's a mythical creature with special powers. But couldn't find anything, snails are just snails.

I have a french friend, if I tell him I'm getting some Snails he'll turn up for dinner
2017-3-3
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, I've got a Blade Mach 25 racer.  It's been slightly modified with a decent HS1177 CCD camera, Foxeer Switcher video transmitter (up to 600mw), skew planar antenna, XT60 battery connector.  It flies quite nice although it does suffer from a bit of bounce on landing (I think I need to tune the PID's).

I have thought about selling it and buying the new Blade/Immersionrc Vortex 150 but I've read reports of very short flight times.

I haven't quite decided yet whether I prefer goggles or the monitor for flying.  I started off with some Attitude v3's but I got a Black Pearl monitor fairly recently.  The monitor has a higher quality picture compared to the goggles, unfortunately though it doesn't have a built in PVR but you can add that quite easily.
2017-3-4
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 2017-3-4 03:23
Yeah, I've got a Blade Mach 25 racer.  It's been slightly modified with a decent HS1177 CCD camera, Foxeer Switcher video transmitter (up to 600mw), skew planar antenna, XT60 battery connector.  It flies quite nice although it does suffer from a bit of bounce on landing (I think I need to tune the PID's).

I have thought about selling it and buying the new Blade/Immersionrc Vortex 150 but I've read reports of very short flight times.

Nice kit.

I guess an advantage of the screen is that you don't need a spotter and you remain aware of whats around you, but is sun and reflections still a problem?

Goggles get quite sweaty even with the fan on, and leave a big red ring around my face, looks like I just got out bed when I take them off.

I know where to come with a 1000 questions next week
2017-3-4
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 2017-3-4 03:23

Bounce on landing .... is that something to do with airmode where the props spin even at no thottle. Advice was to have a motor disarm switch instead of sticks in corner.

Do you know much about betaflight ?
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules