Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"Warning: motor overload..."
2682 14 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cinejeff
lvl.1
United States

Just got around to updating the Inspire 1 and on the first flight I received an on-screen warning; "Motor overload: Aircraft will decelerate..."

The motors all spin freely, they are not hot after a flight and this is a brand new message that cooincides with a firmware upgrade. Anyone else experience this?

Attention DJI - You're going overboard with features. Stop it. Let us fly without software interruptions.

2017-3-1
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Everyone is getting this. It is to prevent your bird from smashing to the ground when you overload the battery, it's a good thing.

Mark G.
2017-3-1
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

After buying my Inspire the first week it was launched and modding it to an Inspire1Pro, I am now also getting this error message.  It's interesting because I get these messages at the beginning of the flight and when ascending.  Not really during other times.  I have noticed when the battery is warmed up a little bit these error messages won't be as prevalent.  I really don't mind them however I'm not sure how OP equates this with "crashing to the ground".  Perhaps hyperbole.  I doubt it would happen like that
2017-3-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Were you flying aggressively like full throttle when this occurred?
2017-3-2
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I think what happened ( In the early days of the Inspire 1 )  is they found that over time if the battery was pushed to hard it could possibly fail , therefore rather than have the aircraft possibly crash from battery failure, ( and this did happen in the early days ) they implemented  a significant reduction of the power output of the batteries. This was implemented around  upates after 1.3 .  Then with the battery Updates at version 1.6 is when I first noticed the warning  that you are now experiencing .  It is just letting you know that the AC battery is getting a bit taxed and you may wish to back off the throttle a bit , and it is going to reduce some power .   

Just wanted to give a little background on what  I think Happened.

donnie

2017-3-2
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-3-1 14:31
After buying my Inspire the first week it was launched and modding it to an Inspire1Pro, I am now also getting this error message.  It's interesting because I get these messages at the beginning of the flight and when ascending.  Not really during other times.  I have noticed when the battery is warmed up a little bit these error messages won't be as prevalent.  I really don't mind them however I'm not sure how OP equates this with "crashing to the ground".  Perhaps hyperbole.  I doubt it would happen like that

No there actually was a problem when the  Inspire 1 system first came out and some AC were going into the ground.  The smart battery in order to protect itself from overload  ( possible fire )  was shutting down mid flight and therefore crashing the AC . The solution was a reduction in overall speed and power consumption. ( see below )  and so  NOW when the battery detects a high current  drain , the warning pops up to let you know it is getting pushed hard  and backs off power a touch .  I personally dont think it effects performance that greatly .
The biggest reduction in power came  at updates 1.3 .( as  you more than likely know ).  The latest system  warning came after update 1.6 which just lets you know that the battery is getting pushed rather hard , and is going to reduce a bit of power .

donnie
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If you were flying agressively or if fighting strong wind, this function was implemented to ensure the safety of the aircraft's battery, like Donnie mentioned.
2017-3-2
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-2 08:37
No there actually was a problem when the  Inspire 1 system first came out and some AC were going into the ground.  The smart battery in order to protect itself from overload  ( possible fire )  was shutting down mid flight and therefore crashing the AC . The solution was a reduction in overall speed and power consumption. ( see below )  and so  NOW when the battery detects a high current  drain , the warning pops up to let you know it is getting pushed hard  and backs off power a touch .  I personally dont think it effects performance that greatly .
The biggest reduction in power came  at updates 1.3 .( as  you more than likely know ).  The latest system  warning came after update 1.6 which just lets you know that the battery is getting pushed rather hard , and is going to reduce a bit of power .

Yah I noticed some of the batteries had drastic power drops starting at 51 percent and then straight to 3 %.  However I never thought it had something to do with output.  Perhaps?
2017-3-2
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-3-2 14:51
Yah I noticed some of the batteries had drastic power drops starting at 51 percent and then straight to 3 %.  However I never thought it had something to do with output.  Perhaps?

I have never had that happen fortunately  , that is a HUGE drop .  Do you cycle your batteries ?

donnie
2017-3-3
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-3 03:14
I have never had that happen fortunately  , that is a HUGE drop .  Do you cycle your batteries ?

donnie

If you never have had that happen and want to know more, you should look at the developer forum - http://forum.dev.dji.com/forum.p ... peid&typeid=222
2017-3-3
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-3-3 15:49
If you never have had that happen and want to know more, you should look at the developer forum - http://forum.dev.dji.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=61&filter=typeid&typeid=222

Okey dokey -thank you

donnie
2017-3-4
Use props
cinejeff
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-2 11:01
If you were flying agressively or if fighting strong wind, this function was implemented to ensure the safety of the aircraft's battery, like Donnie mentioned.

Moderate winds, flying straight and level in an open farm field, 90% of throttle. If it's a safety feature, I'm fine with that. I just wanted to know that it isn't an indication of aircraft motor failure.
2017-3-6
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-2 11:01

Wind high up can be very surprising even on ground level it is calm. This can be seen nicely with Inspire 2 fpv - camera angle which can be typically 10 - 20 degrees and even 30 sometimes on hover. This kind of angle requires kind of high wind. I see motor overloaded (or something like this) message usually high altitude 100 m or above perhaps because of wind.
Would be btw nice to see wind speed numerical estimation and direction based on hover angle and motor output.
2017-3-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-3-6 22:07
Wind high up can be very surprising even on ground level it is calm. This can be seen nicely with Inspire 2 fpv - camera angle which can be typically 10 - 20 degrees and even 30 sometimes on hover. This kind of angle requires kind of high wind. I see motor overloaded (or something like this) message usually high altitude 100 m or above perhaps because of wind.
Would be btw nice to see wind speed numerical estimation and direction based on hover angle and motor output.

It's a suggestion that I could pass along to see if it's possible.
2017-3-7
Use props
fansd57e461f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 364642 ft
United States

I'm not sure if anybody knows what this error message means.  Including DJI.  I had the same error message, but the AC never "decelerated" at all.  It continued to fly as normal.  It would occur right after takeoff.  I even used a laser temperature reader on each motor after flight - nothing.  I conditioned my batteries using my Smart Power Charger - still nothing.  Re- installed the new firmware - nothing.  Contacted DJI support and they told me to send it in.  So I did.  Just got it back this week.  No explanation as to what the problem was, but DJI replaced the remote free of charge (and my bird was out of warranty...very nice of DJI btw).  Flying with the same batteries as before and not once did that error message come up.  I really would like to know what was causing it.  Replacing the remote apparently solved the issue, but it doesn't address the cause.  
2017-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules