Memory card causing gimbal lock
2063 19 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

I lost control of my gimbal, it calibrated when it powered on but then I had no control of it, it just points forward n won't respond.  I have just discovered that the Memory card is the cause.
It works fine with original card but not with a different card. The card is a 64gb class 3, according to the website it's more than fast enough for 4K n the specs required
In the Phantom 4 manual. I do recall seeing a card error once when flying but not again.
Has anyone else had any issues from memory cards as I couldn't find anything on the forums like this.
2017-3-1
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I changed my card to a Sandisk Extreme.  I also have some Transcend Micro HC 4 card that works.

A lot of cards seem not to work.  I would got for the Sandisk Extreme
2017-3-1
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-1 22:50
I changed my card to a Sandisk Extreme.  I also have some Transcend Micro HC 4 card that works.

A lot of cards seem not to work.  I would got for the Sandisk Extreme

Lol that's what this one is, I think it could be faulty.
2017-3-1
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-1 23:42
Lol that's what this one is, I think it could be faulty.

Make sure it's not a clone
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 04:06
Make sure it's not a clone

Got it from big retail store with my dash cam.
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-2 04:47
Got it from big retail store with my dash cam.

Try formatting it with your drone as your dash cam may use different system.
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Yeah I did do that but still no joy.
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like blackcrusader mentioned, not all brands of SD cards work. All that can be recommended is to use a different brand of SD card and go from there.
2017-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

If it really is a Class 3 card, then it is way to slow for a Phantom, you need a Class 10 or better. The safest card to use is a Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro series card, formatted in the aircraft. However I cannot see any reason why the SD card would affect the operation of the gimbal.
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-2 15:32
If it really is a Class 3 card, then it is way to slow for a Phantom, you need a Class 10 or better. The safest card to use is a Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro series card, formatted in the aircraft. However I cannot see any reason why the SD card would affect the operation of the gimbal.

SANDISK EXTREME PRO® microSDHC™ / microSDXC™ UHS-I CARD[size=1.2]64 GB[size=1.2]32 GB[size=1.2]16 GB
  • Capacity: 64 GB
  • Read Speed: up to 95MB/s3
  • Write Speed: up to 90MB/s3
  • Video Speed: C10, U34
  • Form Factor: microSDXC
[url=]Where to Buy[/url]

ExtremePRO_microSDXC_U3_64GB-retina.jpg
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-2 15:32

It is class 10 but U3 is what I meant. Like I said, it's more than required.
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

"However I cannot see any reason why the SD card would affect the operation of the gimbal"
I'm not sure if you are doubting me but do you need a video of it.
I put the card in turn it on and it won't work, I turn it off take the sandisk out n put the factory one in, I then turn it on and hay presto it works. I have done this several times to confirm.
I have even had a memory card error on the screen prior to learning it was the problem.
2017-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-2 16:10
"However I cannot see any reason why the SD card would affect the operation of the gimbal"
I'm not sure if you are doubting me but do you need a video of it.
I put the card in turn it on and it won't work, I turn it off take the sandisk out n put the factory one in, I then turn it on and hay presto it works. I have done this several times to confirm.

OK, that is a good card. Puzzling why it affects the gimbal, it should even be related. Have you been able to format the card in the aircraft? It may be there is something on the card that is causing the aircraft to stop during initialisation. If you cannot format the card in the aircraft, put it in a PC and format it in ExFAT and it might solve the problem.
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-2 16:25
OK, that is a good card. Puzzling why it affects the gimbal, it should even be related. Have you been able to format the card in the aircraft? It may be there is something on the card that is causing the aircraft to stop during initialisation. If you cannot format the card in the aircraft, put it in a PC and format it in ExFAT and it might solve the problem.

yep formatting isn't an issue, I can take photo's n video's as well as flying. I only flew a little way and landed once I seen the issue. The camera does it's auto cal on start up but will not respond after that other than photo's n video. It won't even do a manual calibration. Formatting was the first thing I done when I first used it. I'm only posting it for awareness so if anyone else has a similar issue they will know what could be wrong. All I can think of is it's causing the processor related to gimbal movement to over load n jam because theres something wrong with the card. I will plug it into my computer just to make sure it did properly format to rule that out.
2017-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-2 18:35
yep formatting isn't an issue, I can take photo's n video's as well as flying. I only flew a little way and landed once I seen the issue. The camera does it's auto cal on start up but will not respond after that other than photo's n video. It won't even do a manual calibration. Formatting was the first thing I done when I first used it. I'm only posting it for awareness so if anyone else has a similar issue they will know what could be wrong. All I can think of is it's causing the processor related to gimbal movement to over load n jam because theres something wrong with the card. I will plug it into my computer just to make sure it did properly format to rule that out.

Actually, it will do a better job of formatting it in the camera than your PC. But I don't believe this is a trend, as nothing like this has been reported before. The only other thing I could suggest is that there is an outside chance your card is counterfeit. The Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro are probably the most frequently faked cards around.
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Ok so update, I formatted the card with my Mac and all is good now it works, I have formatted it with the drone as well and it still works.
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-2 20:03
Ok so update, I formatted the card with my Mac and all is good now it works, I have formatted it with the drone as well and it still works.

Good news.
2017-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-2 20:03

Hmm, that suggests that, as delivered, the card may have been formatted in some odd way like NTFS that the aircraft could not recognise.
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-2 20:42
Hmm, that suggests that, as delivered, the card may have been formatted in some odd way like NTFS that the aircraft could not recognise.

I bought it with my Dashcam that I use in my truck, it's about 2 years old and the dashcam uses the same format. The only thing I can think off is the dashcam which is now faulty may have corrupted it. I only just tried it in my drone because the dashcam is out of action. It was recording photo's n video's without a problem from the drone. It must not have formatted in the drone originally until after I did it in my mac.
Does anyone know what the memory card error I got was exactly referring to.
Thanks for all the input fellow drone enthusiasts.
2017-3-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-3 16:22
I bought it with my Dashcam that I use in my truck, it's about 2 years old and the dashcam uses the same format. The only thing I can think off is the dashcam which is now faulty may have corrupted it. I only just tried it in my drone because the dashcam is out of action. It was recording photo's n video's without a problem from the drone. It must not have formatted in the drone originally until after I did it in my mac.
Does anyone know what the memory card error I got was exactly referring to.
Thanks for all the input fellow drone enthusiasts.

The error messages are rather cryptic, so it would be just guessing as to what they mean.
2017-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules