Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
5 Ways to Prevent Flyaways
107589 142 2017-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
driverman930
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93865 ft
United States

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-3-14 08:48
ProQuad,

Which drones would you advice to build to practice basic flying skills? I have a small Syma 5XC that is nice to fly indoors - never does any damage or/and crushes itself. But it is too light to fly outdoors.

I started out with a holystone 200 fly's good indoors and out so long as there not a lot of wind. Takes a beating and is relative  cheap!
2018-9-7
Use props
Jonsy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3852 ft
New Zealand

Cool great tips many things that can go wrong with dji
2018-9-12
Use props
sswazz
New
Flight distance : 340325 ft
United States

I was flying right above and was taking sunset picture when I notice my controller said n/a so I move my camera down and saw it was flying away from me , so I hit home right away well it lost  connection and now I don’t have my drone been looking for days no sight of it !!!! This isn’t the first time it has happen either I paid 400 the last time to get it fixed and bought DJI care plan but have no drone!! It’s  ridiculous for that much money
2018-10-6
Use props
Ehsancgfx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 92280 ft
Bangladesh

Very informative. i didn't know the left swipe brightness control option.
2018-10-7
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

my new mavic 2 pro shows only one compass in the app
my P4P shows two

???
2018-10-15
Use props
Future Shock Visuals
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56211 ft

fans22667133 Posted at 2017-3-14 10:59
I have never used RTH. I think I feed much better being in control.
Still, great tips.

I second you, never used RTH, but will take it on board that I will try it out in case its ever needed in an emegency at least I'll know what to expect in the event its required.
2018-10-22
Use props
Fly74
lvl.2

United States

I had a small drone get caught in a micro burst wind and it was dragged beyond line of sight and out of controller response.... it landed 1/2 mile away... lucky the battery was full and was able to be tracked down.... but I could imagine when people attempt the long flights and get out of sight, a unknown gust of wind could carry it beyond control and if it ends up blown in a heavy interference area it may not be able to RTH or battery cannot make it against the strong winds miles from your location.  Would agree that the rules make sense.
2018-10-30
Use props
Slonishku
New
Flight distance : 278353 ft
United States

fans22667133 Posted at 2017-3-14 10:59
I have never used RTH. I think I feed much better being in control.
Still, great tips.

Point taken, but you should be familiar and comfortable with RTH. There are times when it might be your only viable option. I strongly suggest finding a wide open flat space, free of any vertical obstructions, to practice and familiarize yourself with RTH.

RTH is an important safety feature that you paid for. In the hands of a knowledgeable user, it is a very sophisticated tool. An uninformed operator who crashes a nice DJI drone because s/he failed to understand RTH, on the other hand, is himself a very unsophisticated tool.
2018-11-2
Use props
FLPilotShark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721913 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great Advice for all pilots!
2018-11-21
Use props
CharlieZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Thanks for the heads up!
2019-1-5
Use props
3DEagle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 125 ft
Canada

Best Tip:Use Common Sense ,Google search is your best friend for weather information and flight zone etc,Always Check an external compass for interference and gps signal strength.....
2019-1-6
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

I have not read every post, but one important advise I got from someone is to first fly against the wind, then if it goes into ATTI mode and disconnect from the remote, it will drift back to you or closer to you and probably reconnect and you would probably regain control. It is  a lot better than starting a flight in the direction of the wind and trying to bring the drone back with low battery fighting the wind. Doing that should save a LOT of flyaway.

And there is an easy hack to switch the sport mode to ATTI on the Spark and that probably work too with the Air. It,s easy to do and give you ATTI mode if you flip the switch to Sport mode. No more sport mode until you revert the switch back to sport but that's cool to learn to fly. One little thing though, if it disconnect from the remote in ATTI, no RTH possible and it won't hold its position, so this is something to do at close range, not 2 km away.
2019-1-6
Use props
TheVegeta1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Thanks for the good advice everyone
2019-1-20
Use props
Visalia California
lvl.2
United States

Hopefully they have finally figured out what was causing most of the fly aways within the DJI flight system. I junked a phantom 3 a couple years ago because it was flying off and then finally did a barrel roll flip in about .25 seconds and landed on the rotors about 4 feet from my 3 year old daughter. Then the Phantom tried to drill to the center of the earth. I had to pull the battery to stop it. It did this after hovering 20 feet from me with zero control input from me.
2019-1-25
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

Great few simple tips
2019-1-27
Use props
AQUIF
lvl.4
India

Hairy Posted at 2017-4-29 13:38
You should MAKE YOURSELF try/use it to get familiar with the setup and function. You WILL use it some day and you'll be glad you knew what to expect! I'll spare everyone the long story, but trust me, a day WILL come that you'll press the button and you'll be so puckered up, you'll be real glad you made RTH part of your training!

I made n broke 3-5 quads  just to learn to fly manual....

after 3-4 years of practice....i bought an inspire 1....
2019-1-29
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans6916e6f9 Posted at 2017-3-4 08:01
One of the most useful tips not mentioned is. Learn how to fly line of sight without the need of GPS.  So if something goes wrong you can manually take over and control the drone and not just blindly depend on autopilot and return to home to save you. The truth is no computer system made by any company in the world works 100% of the time so you having the skills to save your drone when technology fails is important.

This happened to me while flying on a pier. There must have been interference from all the metal substructure. Lost GPS and the drone started banking left and away from me. I managed to get it back but the sudden loss of control was unsettling.

Is there a way to force ATTI mode on a Mavic Pro 1?
2019-2-2
Use props
o_laparoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 753340 ft
France

Very useful information! Thank you for sharing.
2019-2-7
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 560472 ft
Australia

Beginner here!

Is ATTI mode the same as the "Headless Mode" option on my cheap starter drone (VISUO XS812)? It has a "Headless Mode" toggle.

I'm currently practicing with the VISUO before I buy a far more expensive Zoom. If it's the same thing, then I'll invest some time into practicing with that mode.
2019-2-7
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
Germany

I suppose another tip is to get on the forums and learn from others.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
2019-2-11
Use props
Matt123So
New
New Zealand

Thank you very much for these tips. After checking my compass, I found that the place which I commonly take-off from has a red compass interference level! Without this guide, I would have never thought to check!!
2019-4-27
Use props
soteroco
lvl.1

United States

cool thanks for info
2019-5-7
Use props
James 0522
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191493 ft
United States

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-3-14 08:48
ProQuad,

Which drones would you advice to build to practice basic flying skills? I have a small Syma 5XC that is nice to fly indoors - never does any damage or/and crushes itself. But it is too light to fly outdoors.

Dmitry495

Fly the Syma. this little drone is great for practice and only costs $50.
Fly it outside in slight wind to improve your skills, just remember to press the left joy stick down to put the drone in high speed mode.
2019-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules